Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SystemMax 2 or Twisted Wedge heads?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SystemMax 2 or Twisted Wedge heads?
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just wondering which heads are better for a 308 motor? which would make more power and which would make a better powerband? dont know which cam yet.
jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PopTheHood:
I was just wondering which heads are better for a 308 motor? which would make more power and which would make a better powerband? dont know which cam yet.

The trick flows would be better, due to the fact that the canted valves will allow you to run a larger cam if you have stock type pistons that don't have enlarged valve reliefs for 2.02 valves.

Personally I would put AFRs on it.

What pistons are you running?

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PopTheHood  Ford pictures for PopTheHood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Its a DSS 308..I forgot what brand of pistons.. i have the trickflows on my car right now. stock block.. i was thinking about buying different heads cuz i could get a pair of the systemax heads cheap so i was wondering if they were better than my TW heads... how much do the systemax heads sell for new?.. here a pic of the pistons... are they cut good enough for a big cam?  -
PopTheHood
¯
Member # 7040

I have another mustang that needs a motor.. i was gonna pull mine and put the 308 in mine and give mu old one to the other mustang.. would it be better to put the tw on the 308 or the systemax? or what are the best for around 1000? i could get the systemax for like 900 thats why i was asking
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by PopTheHood:
I have another mustang that needs a motor.. i was gonna pull mine and put the 308 in mine and give mu old one to the other mustang.. would it be better to put the tw on the 308 or the systemax? or what are the best for around 1000? i could get the systemax for like 900 thats why i was asking

900 is'nt that cheap for the holley's. You will be better off with AFR, TW, or edelbrock's which You could probably find used for that price. If You get the AFR's I would make sure You get ones that have the upgraded spring package or plan another 125-135 buck's for decent spring's.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

iceman302
¯
Member # 7180

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for iceman302  Ford pictures for iceman302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran the Holley's with a stage 2 port on my 331. They definitely made good power, BUT they had a pretty major problem with burning up the guides/stem seals... something about the geometry or valve angle with those heads. It tended to use a fair bit of oil. I'm not sure if they fixed the problem on any of the later ones... just food for thought.

--------------------
'65 Mustang Fastback

Posts: 4171 | From: Rancho Murieta | Registered: Oct 2006  |  :
93mustang50
¯
Member # 6642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustang50  Ford pictures for 93mustang50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You cant go wrong with AFR heads
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93mustang50:
You cant go wrong with AFR heads

or wronger with tfs'

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
systemax heads all the way [burnout]
jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by iceman302:
I ran the Holley's with a stage 2 port on my 331. They definitely made good power, BUT they had a pretty major problem with burning up the guides/stem seals... something about the geometry or valve angle with those heads. It tended to use a fair bit of oil. I'm not sure if they fixed the problem on any of the later ones... just food for thought.

Did you ever check your pushrod length. You can have this happen to any aftermarket head due to improper length pushrods the are way to far on the heel or toe of the valve stem tip. This side loads the guide. Next time look how the tip of the rocker touches the valve tip while rotating the motor. I highly doubt it was the heads and more than likely was an inexperienced installer.

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com