Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP WITH ALTERNATOR UPGRADE

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP WITH ALTERNATOR UPGRADE
GT302PONY
¯
Member # 6658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT302PONY  Ford pictures for GT302PONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just picked up a newer mustang alternator from a 94 and am going to put it in a fox but the fos has two plugs one is wider than the other one one of the plugs fits the newer alternator what do i do with that second plug i think its made up of two black wires and a yellow thanks
GT302PONY
¯
Member # 6658

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for GT302PONY  Ford pictures for GT302PONY  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anyone
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by COBRA302MAN:
i just picked up a newer mustang alternator from a 94 and am going to put it in a fox but the fos has two plugs one is wider than the other one one of the plugs fits the newer alternator what do i do with that second plug i think its made up of two black wires and a yellow thanks

the 2nd plug( i think its the d shaped plug) there is the 2 black/orange power wires and a white wire(yellow in your case, color must have faded) youll need a new power wire(i.e. paperformance power wire upgrade kit, i think eastbay5_0 has one for sale) and youll ned a strator wire(little gray plug that goes into the alt)once you have that new power wire and strator wire cut that plug off and cover the 2 black/orange wires, you will no longer use them(DO NOT REUSE THEM,the new alt puts out like 65-70 amps at idle and 130 amps when charging, your stock alt puts out like 30amps at idle 75amp when charging)connect 1 end of the power cable to the stud on the back of the alt and connect the other end to the starter soliniod on the fender(the fuse must be on the side closest to the soliniod. then splice the strator wire to the white wire and plug it into the slot on the alt.
you will also have to clearence the alt braket due to the size of the alt.

-

-

-

Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Why does the fuse have to be closest to the starter solinoid?? I've had mine in my car for about 2 years on closer to the alternator side of the car with no issues.
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jdub07:
Why does the fuse have to be closest to the starter solinoid?? I've had mine in my car for about 2 years on closer to the alternator side of the car with no issues.

thats what the directions say, well i guess it doesnt matter than.
GT302PONY
¯
Member # 6658

thanks man i already got my grinder and grinded down the bracket thats all i need to know thanks for all your help
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

quote:
Originally posted by COBRA302MAN:
thanks man i already got my grinder and grinded down the bracket thats all i need to know thanks for all your help

no prob, jst remember DON NOT reuse the stock wiring.if you have any other ques feel free to pm me.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com