Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » H/C/I

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: H/C/I
SWERVN50
¯
Member # 6854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWERVN50  Ford pictures for SWERVN50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 90 LX 5.0 AOD and Im gona do a H/C/I, My question is should I also do a t-5 swap or leave it AOD and slap on a good shift kit & some gears? The AOD's been rebuilt and it only has 1k miles or less on it.
93mustang50
¯
Member # 6642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustang50  Ford pictures for 93mustang50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The aod will be fine, i have an aod in my 91 and i love it. As for the H/C/I, a supercharger would be cheaper and easier, but if thats not what you are going for. I would go with the Trick flow top end kit its got everything you need. Heads, intake, cam, pushrods, hardware, roller rokers, valve covers, timing chain, and all the reqaired gaskets. All for about $2,200. You will also need lifters, tb, spacer, fuel pump, feul regulator, 24# injectors, and mass air sensor. Gears, maybe 3.73 or 4.10.
93mustang50
¯
Member # 6642

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93mustang50  Ford pictures for 93mustang50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
GO FAST, SHAKE N BAKE!!!!!

--------------------
93GT 306 H/C/I supercharged
06 Cummins 6spd
90 GT 5sdp daily driver HCI
16 Hellcat Charger
91GT aod(sold)
88GT5spd(totaled)

losbadgts
¯
Member # 4394

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for losbadgts  Ford pictures for losbadgts    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would just leave the aod tranny and put a shift kit a better torque converter and 4.10's

--------------------
Why pretent someone u are not, everyone else could see it.

Posts: 3625 | From: redwood city | Registered: Apr 2004  |  :
SWERVN50
¯
Member # 6854

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SWERVN50  Ford pictures for SWERVN50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to supercharge it aventualy, but for now Im gona do the H/C/I. How does this setup sound. 165 AFR heads, Comp Cam XE270HR, & RPM II.
93mustang50
¯
Member # 6642

Sorry dont forget the shift kit and torque converter

--------------------
06 Cummins 6spd
16 Hellcat Charger
91GT aod(sold)
88GT5spd(totaled)

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't go cheap if You are going to keep the AOD. I recommend www.edgeracingconverters.com and go with a lentech manual valvebody which will put Your OD position on Your shifter on a switch and give You full operation of every gear. It will probably set You back about 100-1200 buck's but will save You in the long run & the performance will be [burnout] .

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

white50steve
¯
Member # 5887

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white50steve  Ford pictures for white50steve    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the stock aod isnt worth a lentech valve body and an expensive converter since the tranny will blow when you give it any power. I put a c4 in my car and havent had any problem. you can get a good c4 with a transbrake and everything needed for install for about 1800.
Posts: 161 | From: south san francisco | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
SWERVN50
¯
Member # 6854

That is the problem I keep hearing, that the AOD tranny wont last to long with alot of power. Thats why I was thinking of doing the t-5 swap instead of spending hella money on an AOD that isn't gona last. I know the t-5 isnt the best trany but it can push more horsepower than the AOD.
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would leave the aod alone, do 3.73 or 4.10's and when the aod goes do a 5 speed and skip the T5, and do a TKO. [patriot]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would also do the trickflow package

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SWERVN50:
That is the problem I keep hearing, that the AOD tranny wont last to long with alot of power. Thats why I was thinking of doing the t-5 swap instead of spending hella money on an AOD that isn't gona last. I know the t-5 isnt the best trany but it can push more horsepower than the AOD.

If He just had it rebuilt then it should be fine with HCI rite? I understand if You put a power adder on there it would'nt take long to trash it.

--------------------

white50steve
¯
Member # 5887

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white50steve  Ford pictures for white50steve    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
rebuilt is still stock and isnt good for anything more than stock
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
Originally posted by white50steve:
rebuilt is still stock and isnt good for anything more than stock

My rebuild held up for a couple year's behind My HCI combo 280 rwhp/280 rwtq with plenty of trip's to the track and trappin 105-107 consistantly so I will have to disagree with You. When I put the blower on there is when thing's went wrong [Frown] . The reason I recommended the lentech valvebody was to get away from the 1-2-1 shuffle and give the tranny a chance, if He hust spent 1700-2000 dollar's "just guessing cause He did'nt say" on the rebuild then 400 buck's for the valvebody is cheap insurance in My book. As far as the converter goes if You don't have a great converter You will never get good performance out of an auto. I usually buy the upper end on replacement part's Myself so that might be why My input may sound a little overkill? Either way You go I hope it work's out well for Ya SWERVN50. [patriot]

--------------------

93mustang50
¯
Member # 6642

I am not an expert in aod or auto's in general, but wont a shift kit fix or help the 1-2-1 shift.

--------------------
06 Cummins 6spd
16 Hellcat Charger
91GT aod(sold)
88GT5spd(totaled)

white50steve
¯
Member # 5887

i never looked at a lentech valve body without a brake. the one with the brake is over $700. $400 isnt bad
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
i never looked at a lentech valve body without a brake. the one with the brake is over $700. $400 isnt bad

Yeah I have the one with the brake and it is awesome! The 1-2-1 shuffle can only be eliminated by putting the OD position on a switch "as far as I know" which free's up the extra space for 1st, 2nd, and drive - then You just flick a switch to hit OD? My edge street/strip converter was around 600 buck's shipped and on the tranny brake it stall's over 5,000 RPM and is great on the street also. IMHO a good tranny is going to cost well over 3000 dollar's if You want to keep overdrive, and a good 6 speed is probably going to end up costing about the same. I mostly just drive My car to the strip and back so I prefer the auto tranny, and I can understand that most people think auto's suck but then again they probably hav'nt been in a 600 HP car with a manual valvebody, trannybrake, and good stall converter.

--------------------

SWERVN50
¯
Member # 6854

quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
quote:

Yeah I have the one with the brake and it is awesome! The 1-2-1 shuffle can only be eliminated by putting the OD position on a switch "as far as I know" which free's up the extra space for 1st, 2nd, and drive - then You just flick a switch to hit OD? My edge street/strip converter was around 600 buck's shipped and on the tranny brake it stall's over 5,000 RPM and is great on the street also. IMHO a good tranny is going to cost well over 3000 dollar's if You want to keep overdrive, and a good 6 speed is probably going to end up costing about the same. I mostly just drive My car to the strip and back so I prefer the auto tranny, and I can understand that most people think auto's suck but then again they probably hav'nt been in a 600 HP car with a manual valvebody, trannybrake, and good stall converter.
You seem to know about trany's so let me ask you. The shop I took my trany to get rebuilt said the Overdrive was gone and 3rd was next, they told me they took out the overdrive and added a fourth gear instead because OD is garbage. Does that sound like BS or can it be done? My 50 runs harder than before, but then it could be because of the rebuild.
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

quote:
quote:
quote:

You seem to know about trany's so let me ask you. The shop I took my trany to get rebuilt said the Overdrive was gone and 3rd was next, they told me they took out the overdrive and added a fourth gear instead because OD is garbage. Does that sound like BS or can it be done? My 50 runs harder than before, but then it could be because of the rebuild.
I'm no expert but have been through My share of AOD's and never heard anything about taking out OD and putting in a 4th gear. Sound's like BS to Me. I think all of My tranny's lost OD the overdrive 1st and it's only a matter of time before the rest of em go out. Did they do a complete rebuild? How much did they charge You?

--------------------

SWERVN50
¯
Member # 6854

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I'm no expert but have been through My share of AOD's and never heard anything about taking out OD and putting in a 4th gear. Sound's like BS to Me. I think all of My tranny's lost OD the overdrive 1st and it's only a matter of time before the rest of em go out. Did they do a complete rebuild? How much did they charge You?
They charged me 1g to do the complete rebuild plus they added a weak shift kit+ 3 year waranty/80k miles.
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Does'nt sound like You did to bad if it is still shifting OK.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com