Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » SOS! Fuel Pump...98 Cobra!

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: SOS! Fuel Pump...98 Cobra!
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alright...a friend has a 98 Cobra (early model) and with an 18 psi fuel pressure reading at the fuel rails, we deiced to replace the stock fuel pump with a Walbro 255lph one. so on saturday we did that, and in the tank was a cream colored plastic basket that houses the fuel pump. the stock pump stood slightly shorter than the walbro version, so we modified the basket slightly to properly close the lid on the cream colored basket, and we connected all the lines and connectors back that we took off. also there was a metal tab on the top (kinda like the tabs on speakers to connect the wires, spade connector?) which we didnt attach anything to becasue we didnt take anything off of it but we thought maybe something slipped off that we didnt see, highly unlikely but just want to mention it. so we connected everything and reinstalled the tank, fuel filter and lines. We then went ahead to fired it up (of course we filled gas back into the tank0 and the engine doesnt fire up, just turns over, it turned over about 6 times which was the most, then it died. now the fuel rails are reding ZERO!...anyone have a clue on what to do? any help willbe greatly appreciated, and if you dont understand what i'm saying PM and i'll give u my number to further explain it more thurough, i did the best i can to do it here...thnx guys...

--------------------
1997 Autumn Orange GT vert
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 95ci Harley Road King
2011 F150 Raptor

Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
look for a connector that is hangin around and connect it to the one that wasnt connected.
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Had the same problem in my 98 GT when i went to a walbro 255. We ended up dropping the tank again opening up the top and turned the key on, turns out, the fuel was spraying out the top of the "cream basket" ended up making sure everything was re-tightend and we even took the little tampon looking filter off the pump for more clearance. Before bolting everything back up make sure the car will fire up, then put everything back together.

oh yeah, when you turn the key on, can you hear the pump come on(sounds like a humming noise for a second or two)? Fold the back seats down to hear better.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thnx...i'll pull the tank this weekend again for another shot at it...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

we can here the pump come on...like a little whining noise...but still wont fire up...i hope it is the fuel pump...the spark plugs are all replaced, maf was cleaned...the IAC was cleaned, all fuel lines connected, filter was changed, fuses and relays were checked...and the last thing that came to mind was the fuel pump...we didnt drop the tank yet, but we're gonna do that and check for any other connections...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you check the fuel pressure at the schrader valve up by the engine?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

yeah the little valve thing at the rails...towards the front...

--------------------
1996 Mystic Cobra
2011 F150 Raptor

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com