Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » sputter?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: sputter?
ugotsmoked
¯
Member # 6069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugotsmoked  Ford pictures for ugotsmoked    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just picked up a beautiful 02 GT, 5 sp. I am noticing sputter as if the car is starting to run out of gas. I changed the fuel filter, scanned the ecu, and cleaned the MAF with electronic cleaner, and nothing, runs the same. Air cleaner is good, and everything under the hood looks new. Maybe low voltage to the fuel pump?? Im gonna check the plugs now to see if they are lean. Any help would be great.

--------------------
02 GT - Fully built and blown - RIP
'00 C5 Frc - Cammed and tuned - sold
66 Nova - Restored - 6.0 In the works

Posts: 1585 | From: Rocklin, Ca. | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
NCALSVT
¯
Member # 3205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NCALSVT  Ford pictures for NCALSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what about cheap gas...
ugotsmoked
¯
Member # 6069

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ugotsmoked  Ford pictures for ugotsmoked    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ive only put shell in.... I looked at a plug. it looks pretty old and brown. Its not running lean or rich. I guess well see.

--------------------

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When does it sputter? Full throttle? Part throttle? When you let off the gas? Idle?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check your TPS voltage, then check the codes. It's possible the fuel pump driver is on it's way out. (It's bolted to the fuel rail)
Lastly, pull a plug or two and check the gap.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
ugotsmoked
¯
Member # 6069

under acceleration. I just changed the plugs and took it around the block. She seems to run a lot better, no sputters at all. Im going to take her out tonight and see whats up. The plugs just looked old. minor carbon build up. It explains the low rpm acceleration sputter. Thanks for the quick resposes guys.......

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com