Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Supercharge stock motor??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Supercharge stock motor??
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was just curious if its smart to supercharge a stock motor. The motor has 127,xxx but runs really healthy....I was just thinking about charging or should I just save the money for a 347 stroker rebuild?? What you guys think?? Also for a 347 rebuild all I need would be the kit, new heads, upper/lower intake, and that's it right?? Would I want to change anything else to my best interest?? Let me know!!

--------------------
1987 Black Notchback (I'm back!)
1989 White Notchback (4cyl-V8 conversion) R.I.P
1990 Blue Notchback (orginal 5.0) Sold
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Supercharging your motor will be less expensive than a 347 longblock. You will definitely need more than just heads/cam/intake when you build the 347, also. There are many supporting parts that end up draining the wallet fairly quickly.

If your stock motor is healthy, start with an intercooled supercharger like a procharger p1sc and go from there. Fuel and spark upgrades and a good tune, in order to avoid detonation, will cost far less than a motor rebuild.

Although if you go too crazy with a supercharger, you will end up rebuilding the motor anyway. [Wink]

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Before you supercharge it just do a quick compression check of the cylinders. That will give you an idea on whether you should go motor or blower first.
Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 5.0JerM  Ford pictures for 5.0JerM    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Where can I get a compression test and how will I know whether or not to supercharge it or not??

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Supercharging will give u the most bang for the buck. I supercharged my 130k motor and now am at 140k and it's still running strong, I'm sellin my s-trim and buying a bigger blower for it - lol. check out the ford sale section if your interested.

s-trim is a good starter kit. make plenty of power. cheap too [Whoo Whooooo!]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

NonOpSlow2V
¯
Member # 6111

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NonOpSlow2V  Ford pictures for NonOpSlow2V    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dont mean to interupt this thread but i have 90k miles on my 97...can i put a blower on that or should i upgrade internals?
Posts: 2139 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you are going put a supercharger on your car make sure the motor is in good shape. Also, keep the boost at 6-8 lbs.

If you want to be really safe you should get a custom tune

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd rather pay for a supercharger than buy a 347 kit and throw it in my old seasoned block. Here's why, no matter what you are still going to be running the stock block. And a stock block can handle about 500-550 roughly to the wheels. I've seen many people put down close to 500 to the wheels with only a basic H/C/I set up(plus a supercharger of course) and they where still running their 100,xxx plus shortblock. Just remember that a 347 shortblock fully assembled runs around $2,500 and that's with no h/c/i.... On a stroker the costs add up really quick. A good example of cheap but proven power is streakmatt, I think he is running an S-Trim supercharger with aluminum heads/cam/intake stock t-5 and he is running high 10's!!!! Do some research and think about the long run and your wallet. Just my 0.02Cents TTT [patriot]

--------------------
*NorCal

5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

Okay....supercharge it is.....hey merlot...you take credit!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
1996 Saturn SL2 R.I.P

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My 93 Lightning has 105K miles and is stock. It has had a Vortech since it was a few years old and still runs great. Just dont get stupid with the boost or timing and you should be ok.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yea i'll take payments, u can have the charger when you're done paying.
5.0JerM
¯
Member # 5149

hahahaa....okay...deal!! [Wink]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com