Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Brakes Failed while driving!!! tell me what it could be?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Brakes Failed while driving!!! tell me what it could be?
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my brakes were working ok until i was driving down the street and all of the sudden my brake pedal quickly went to the floor without even slowing down. theres no leakes and i have plenty of fluid. i think its the m/c or booster but i could be wrong, please somebody give me some advise, thanks
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fluid cant compress so you have air in the brake lines and you need to bleed them more until you get it out, I suggest a pressure bleeder.

with air in the lines the pedal will be firm with the engine off, but if you turn it on and start driving it will go to the floor because the air in the lines will compress.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the pedal goes to the floor with the car off as well and it feels exactly the same wen the cars on, and when i press the brake pedal it sounds like im pumping air.
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
like previously mentioned, bleed you brakes and go from there.
good luck

--------------------
=(

23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 23boy5.0  Ford pictures for 23boy5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just bled the brakes 3 times and still the same problem, what now?

[ May 14, 2006, 03:35 AM: Message edited by: 23boy5.0 ]

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
make sure your calipers are mounted on the correct side of the car, if they are switched they will store air pockets in them.

and you may need to bleed the brakes 20 times, if there is air there is air, the brakes will not work until you get it out. do you have access to a pressure or vacuum bleeder?

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

i do not have acces to a vaccum bleeder, but i did bleed it 6 more times and still nothin it still falls to the floor. theres nothing wrong wit my calipers or anything. i did have this problem on my other mustang but it was because the piston in the calipor was loose and i had to put it back in place, its not the case this time.
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
get a pressure bleeder and pressure test the system.
blind, adviced me to get a nice inexpensive(relatively) one and i love it. i no longer have the link, but he might [Razz] .
good luck

--------------------
=(

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like your master cylinder went out. If the brakes were fine one second then gone the next thats most likely your problem.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did you do any work/mods on the brake system before this happened?

If you didn't touch the brakes before, sounds like your MC just went out.

If you DID work on your system and it just failed on you, sounds like you need to start bleeding some more.

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ya, sounds like a bad MC.

Happened to me before.

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

yea, i agree, it sounds like a bad m/c becauseit just randomly went out, ill just get one. can you put a sn95 m/c on a 87 booster?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

I have a 95GT m/c on an `87 booster in my car, you just need a 3-2 port conversion because the SN95 only has ports for front and rear

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
I have a 95GT m/c on an `87 booster in my car, you just need a 3-2 port conversion because the SN95 only has ports for front and rear

Yup me too, but when you buy the 95 mc make sure to buy it new that way it comes with the resovior.

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

quote:

where can i find that?

with the sn95 m/c and 87 booster, can i use disc brakes?

By the way, i think i found the problem. it looks like the resivoir cap is not sealing or there is a leak in the resivoir, because i filled it up with brake fuid all the way to the top and put the cap on it. I had a friend pump the brake and fluid was squirting out. So if thats happening there has to be a lot of air in the lines so im goin to get a vaccum bleeder.

Jim Wood
¯
Member # 5531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Wood  Ford pictures for Jim Wood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You probably need to bleed the master cylinder. You can bleed the brakes till your blue in the face, if the master cylinder isn't bled it won't matter. Get a cap, bleed the master cylinder and try it out.

Personally, if it went out all of a sudden I would take it to a mechanic.

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by 23boy5.0:
quote:

where can i find that?

By the way, i think i found the problem. it looks like the resivoir cap is not sealing or there is a leak in the resivoir, because i filled it up with brake fuid all the way to the top and put the cap on it. I had a friend pump the brake and fluid was squirting out. So if thats happening there has to be a lot of air in the lines so im goin to get a vaccum bleeder.

yes I use that, in addition to a few other little parts and I have rear disc brakes.

if it blows fluid out of the cap when you hit the brakes that sounds like the master cylinder is full of air to me.

to bleed the master cylinder, loosen the brake fittings on the side of it enough to let fluid out just like the bleeder screws at each wheel, pump the brakes or use a pressure bleeder to force fluid out that way then tighten them up while holding the pedal to the floor and that should bleed the m/c

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 23boy5.0:
quote:

where can i find that?

yes I use that, in addition to a few other little parts and I have rear disc brakes.

if it blows fluid out of the cap when you hit the brakes that sounds like the master cylinder is full of air to me.

to bleed the master cylinder, loosen the brake fittings on the side of it enough to let fluid out just like the bleeder screws at each wheel, pump the brakes or use a pressure bleeder to force fluid out that way then tighten them up while holding the pedal to the floor and that should bleed the m/c

that sounds like a two person job ( one person tightening the line fittings, and one ta pump the brake) is there a way to do it if theres only one person?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

you really cannot bleed the master cylinder without depressing the piston, even if you had a pressure bleeder.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

ok well scratch the last response. i just tried to take the brake lines off of the mc and the fittings were rounded off, so now i cant even f@**ing take the thing out, any more advise? Btw, thanks for all of the help, especially from blind. [Big Grin]
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

so how am i going to take the brake lines of of the m/c if the nuts are rounded off?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

you can get a tool from sears that is make for removing stripped bolts, it's like a hand held clamp, hard to describe.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Jim Wood
¯
Member # 5531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jim Wood  Ford pictures for Jim Wood    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Take it to a mechanic.
23boy5.0
¯
Member # 5511

WELL THAT WOULD MEAN I WOULD HAVE TO PAY FOR TOW, AND PAY FOR MECHANIC...... NOT GONNA HAPPEN, WHEN I CAN DO IT MYSELF.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com