Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Rear Wheel Disc ? (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: Rear Wheel Disc ?
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't adjust it at all unless you feel the brake pedal has too much play.

put it all together, bleed the brakes and try it out, you can easily pull the m/c off the booster to adjust the rod later if you need to.

to adjust it, you use an open wrench on the end of the rod in the engine compartment.

the problem is, if you adjust it out before seeing if you need to, you run the risk of having all of your brakes drag and/or lock up unexpectedly, really bad situation!

when I put mine together, I adjusted the rod out 2 full turns like the guide on the web I was going by suggested as a starting point, then went for a spin and my front brakes were dragging almost as bad as leaving the parking brake on would do [Mad] I took it apart, bled the brakes again, and set the rod back to stock and the brakes feel perfect and the pedel feels better than stock.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
I wouldn't adjust it at all unless you feel the brake pedal has too much play.

put it all together, bleed the brakes and try it out, you can easily pull the m/c off the booster to adjust the rod later if you need to.

to adjust it, you use an open wrench on the end of the rod in the engine compartment.

the problem is, if you adjust it out before seeing if you need to, you run the risk of having all of your brakes drag and/or lock up unexpectedly, really bad situation!

when I put mine together, I adjusted the rod out 2 full turns like the guide on the web I was going by suggested as a starting point, then went for a spin and my front brakes were dragging almost as bad as leaving the parking brake on would do [Mad] I took it apart, bled the brakes again, and set the rod back to stock and the brakes feel perfect and the pedel feels better than stock.

Alright thanks, what do you think about the 93 cobra mc? Do you think that i should just go with the 95 mc is there a big difference? I ordered the 3-2 port converison from mm but the instructions say that i have to bend one of my stock brake lines are they hard to bend(kink easily)?

--------------------
87 Fox- Restoration in progress
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM
2017 Prius Prime (The Daily)

Posts: 2655 | From: SF Bay Area | Registered: Sep 2005  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just stick a big socket on the backside of the line and it wont kink.

the master cylinder depends on what calipers you run.

the 93 cobra had the same size as stock 5.0 front calipers with the turbocoupe size rear calipers.

I went with the 95gt becuase I have 73mm (larger) front calipers.

there is no "better" or worse m/c, just the "right" one.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PWR HNGRY 302  Ford pictures for PWR HNGRY 302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
iam also going to be running 73mm calipers, so i'll probably run the 95 mc, i was reading that some people were having trouble with the rear brake lines something about hard lines and soft lines, are there brake lines that i have to mod if there are what do i need? Thanks again i really appriciate the help.

[ April 01, 2006, 02:27 AM: Message edited by: PWR HNGRY 302 ]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

you need item #5 from here:

http://mjbobbitt.home.comcast.net/store.html

they let you use your stock drum hardline on the axle, then twist them around a socket (what I did) to shorten them a bit, then connect them through those adapters to the rear caliper rubber lines.

and re: the MC

the rule is:
60mm front calipers with rear disc - 1.00" bore MC is wanted (93 cobra)

73mm front calipers with rear disc - 1 1/16" bore MC is wanted (94-98 v6/GT)

[ April 01, 2006, 02:41 AM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

TrickRacer50
¯
Member # 6345

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TrickRacer50  Ford pictures for TrickRacer50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
...Oh, and get the Craftsman for $10. Fairly good quality with a lifetime guarantee!
Not guaranteed for lifetime anymore, since K-mart bought Sears

[ April 01, 2006, 11:35 PM: Message edited by: TrickRacer50 ]

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:
Originally posted by TrickRacer50:
quote:
...Oh, and get the Craftsman for $10. Fairly good quality with a lifetime guarantee!
Not guaranteed for lifetime anymore, since K-mart bought Sears
Thats ghey [Mad]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Alright so far i have
5 lug axles+hardware and rotors/calipers
5 lug rotors+calipers
i got new wheel bearings
proportioning valve
2 port conversion
brake fluide
gear oil+additive
and iam waiting on the rims, mc, combination valve plug. Is there anything iam missing?
I didn't really understand the e-brake part what do i have to weld?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

quote:

You need 2 of the parking brake cables (m2809a I think) and 1 of the center adjustable cables (m2810a I think)

Why do i need two cables? I did find them on summit.

[ April 03, 2006, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: PWR HNGRY 302 ]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by PWR HNGRY 302:
quote:

You need 2 of the parking brake cables (m2809a I think) and 1 of the center adjustable cables (m2810a I think)

Why do i need two cables? I did find them on summit.
sold 1 per package, you need one for each side.

trust me, I hated having to spend 50 bucks on freaking parking brake cables too.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Do they come with instructions because i didn't really didn't understand the site that explained it. What part of the ebrake do i have to weld? cut?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by PWR HNGRY 302:
Do they come with instructions because i didn't really didn't understand the site that explained it. What part of the ebrake do i have to weld? cut?

I didn't have to do any of that on mine.

basically the e-brake handle has a large coiled spring on it to hold tension on the center e-brake cable to engage the brakes.

If your handle cant hold enough tension, then you need to cut off the coiled spring, and weld the wheel (pawl as the instructions called it) to the handle, so when you pull the handle you pull the cable.

some cars you dont have to cut that off and weld, I got lucky.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

I'll just order it and see what happens. Alright i got a new problem i cant pull the axles out of the rear end they're in i pulled the little bolt off the pin but it broke in half so the pin is stuck and i cant pull out the axles. Ive tried pounding it with a hammer but its not working what else can i do?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

hacksaw? torch? plasma cutter?

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

LOL, all i have is a BFH. [Mad]

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Alright i got the axles out, but when i put the front rotor on it wouldn't spin freely it kept on getting jammed but could that be that the rotor is messed up or it was the wrong side?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

sn95 parts right?

the hub has the wheel bearings sealed inside it, maybe the wheel bearings are jacked up.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

No not sn95 parts, the svo rotors and i used the seals from my rotors. what else could it be?

--------------------
2014 Tacoma DCLB MGM

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

are you using the right wheel bearings? You say you used the seals from your fox rotors on the svo stuff? I'm not sure those are the same...

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

PWR HNGRY 302
¯
Member # 6000

Hmm.mm, maybe but the wheel bearings looked like the size. Maybe i'll go get some new seals and bearings

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com