Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Flaming River rack installation probs.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Flaming River rack installation probs.
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did anyone have trouble pulling out the Tie-rods out from the spindle arm (I think thats what its called)?

I'm trying to use a 10" 5-ton 2-jaw puller but the brake rotors are in the way. I can fit it in crooked but it obviously won't give it enough force.

Did anyone remove their brake rotors on pulling the tie rods out? I used a BFH but its messing up the top of the bolt.

Should I remove the brake rotors or use a smaller puller?

[Confused]

Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
We recently had NIGHTMARES trying to install one of their racks on a 66 Mustang.. NOTHING FIT..AND the parts they said it was compatible with WERE NOT. Good luck.... [Eek!]
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Apexmotorsports:
We recently had NIGHTMARES trying to install one of their racks on a 66 Mustang.. NOTHING FIT..AND the parts they said it was compatible with WERE NOT. Good luck.... [Eek!]

[Roll Eyes]

You need a pickle fork, it will seperate the tie rod from te spindle, when you hit it with a hammer.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by silverLX:
quote:
Originally posted by Apexmotorsports:

[Roll Eyes]

You need a pickle fork, it will seperate the tie rod from te spindle, when you hit it with a hammer.

Ahhhh I never thought of that of using that tool. I know exactly what you're talking about. Those things are TOUGH.

Apex: LOL. My kit will drop in perfectly, did you check if you got the right part number?

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Cool, I am glad you know what a pickle fork is, it will work fine for you.

and one more [Roll Eyes] for APEX [patriot]

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[worship] SilverLX tech info.

I owe you a couple BEERS!

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah the pickle fork is the only way to get those off, takes quite a good hit on it to pop them lose too

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:

Ahhhh I never thought of that of using that tool. I know exactly what you're talking about. Those things are TOUGH.

Apex: LOL. My kit will drop in perfectly, did you check if you got the right part number? [/QB][/QUOTE]

What happened with our kit was..

We were NOT told by them that we were LITERALLY one of the FIRST customers to be shipped a rack for the 66 Mustang. We was a nightmare.. the main problem was header clearance. They gave us 3 different part numbers of headers from 3 different manufacturers and NONE of them fit!

I am sure the racks for the late model Mustangs are fine as they have been for sale for several years. we ended up going with a unit from Total Contal.

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i think i'll just take it to Brandon when i'm ready to do mine.. cuase.. i don't know what a pickle fork is. [Confused]

--------------------
=(

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Here is what a pickle fork looks like Jersey. Glad I could help out.  -

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

BlownNOSMustang
¯
Member # 158

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlownNOSMustang  Ford pictures for BlownNOSMustang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Flame wrench and a good mallet works well too. Heat the joint and pop it with the 20oz hammer. It will pop right out.

--------------------
1993 Hatch,363 CI,670 RWHP

Posts: 238 | From: Cow Town,USA. | Registered: Feb 2001  |  :
89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have the Flaming River steering shaft- dont like the design much; kept comming loose at the rack with those set screws.
Pickle fork- also known as tie rod breaker bar.

[ February 17, 2006, 01:38 AM: Message edited by: 89saleen ]

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

quote:
Originally posted by 89saleen:
I have the Flaming River steering shaft- dont like the design much; kept comming loose at the rack with those set screws.
Pickle fork- also known as tie rod breaker bar.

The instructions state after you trial-fit the shaft you have to drill a hole for the set screw(s) to go be threaded in deeper and use Loctite. Did you do that?

Also I only got one of the tie-rods loosened up to date. The pickle fork worked it out, but I got drunk too early and had to work on another car.
[Mad]

89saleen
¯
Member # 3083

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89saleen  Ford pictures for 89saleen    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:
The instructions state after you trial-fit the shaft you have to drill a hole for the set screw(s) to go be threaded in deeper and use Loctite. Did you do that?

Uhhh no.. [Embarrassed]

--------------------
Its over Johnny-

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

quote:
Originally posted by 89saleen:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 88DroptopGT:

Uhhh no.. [Embarrassed]

That should help then. [Big Grin]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com