Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Dyno Tuning or a Performance chip for a 5.0

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Dyno Tuning or a Performance chip for a 5.0
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey fellas i had a technical question. Ive been building up my 86 t-top mustang and have added a slew of performance parts to the car and even converted it to mass air with the computer from an 89. Im looking to tie it all togeather and was now wondering what changes to make to my ecu. Im wondering if i should invest in a performance chip or if i should take it to a dyno shop to get it dyno tuned or even if you can dyno tune this ecu?

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Unless your car is suffering from drivability issues you should spend your money on other issues. If you car is pretty much stock spend the money on the performance parts instead like gears and subframes. In fact, for YOUR CAR since it is a T-TOP get the subframes first.. this will stiffen up your car ALOT.

[ February 09, 2006, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Well mike the car isn't really to close to stock and i sent you a list of what i got on the car. THe thing drives fine and is quick but it just seems that with the mods i made that the damn thing could be a hell of a lot quicker. SO i was wondering if i can even get this car dynotuned or if anyone has had good luck with performance chips

--------------------

lxhatch5.0
¯
Member # 6319

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lxhatch5.0  Ford pictures for lxhatch5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
MAYBE ITS TIME 4 A REBUILD- CHECK OUT THE COMPRESSION ON EACH OF THE PISTONS- IF IT SEEMS LIKE IT SHOULD BE MAKING MORE POWER WITH THE BOLT ONS MAYBE YOU HAVE A WORN OUT SHORTBLOCK- [burnout] [burnout]

--------------------
*Municipio Yanga Veracruz

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
depends what you consider a "slew of performance parts"

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

a compression check may help. i might have to pull out the old compression guage and check it out. I just recently checked my plugs and wires and seen they needed replacingl. So i' will probably do that all at once.

--------------------

CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
dyno tuning is the only way to extract everything you can out of your combo.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey. my car had the basic mild head, cam, intake set up and i decided to take it to RPM in Rohnert park. my peak numbers went up and, most importantly ,i gained about 25/30rwtq throughout the rpm range. let me tell you the car feels much meaner on the street.
i decided to tuned it because i won't be modifying the engine any further. if you have future mods in mind, then don't bother with the tune until you are totally done.
Give Brad or Martin a call, they are really helpful and will guide you in the right direction.707-584-8230

[ February 09, 2006, 12:03 PM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

well ive changed evrything on the car but the heads, cam, mass air meter, and injectors. Im thinking about getting a newer larger mass air meter and 24# injectors and then getting it dynotuned.

--------------------

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well.. i would say don't bother getting a tune until you change atleast your heads and cam.
that's where you'll see power gains.. just the injectors and maf will not really give you power.
if you are on a budget, just keep on checking the for(d) sale section. every now and then gt40 heads come up with roller rockers for under 400.
good luck.

--------------------
=(

dynoguy
¯
Member # 6457

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for dynoguy  Ford pictures for dynoguy  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should definatly finish your mods before tuning or you will have to tune & pay twice.

And yes the only way to get the max out of your car is to have it dyno tuned ...with an air/fuel meter and datalogging!

--------------------
Chris
BRG Racing/Dyno
(925)680-2560
chris@brgracing.com
www.brgracing.com

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com