Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » cobra specifications and advice

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: cobra specifications and advice
50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just got myself a 96 cobra and im trying to find out all the specs on the motor and car. such as rear end gear rations, fuel injector size, mass air meter size and so forth. so i was wondering if anyone with a cobra could reccomend me to some good websites or to a good performance book. My second question was just for advice on performance add ons. Ive already got a good idea of what i want for it but wanted to know if anyone with a cobra could tell me what luck theyve had or havent had with parts. I want to keep the thing as close to street legal as possible but still be burnin the annoying srt-4's and newer camaros and firebirds

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
Apexmotorsports
¯
Member # 5307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Apexmotorsports  Ford pictures for Apexmotorsports    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
This is straight from Ford
http://www.svt.ford.com/svtArchiveCompareCobra.asp?vehicle_one=cobra96&vehicle_two=nothing&vehicle_three=nothing

It really depends on what you want to do for the car. It sounds like you want a nice street legal car so these would be my recommendations in the following order. These two mods are fairly inexpensive and would make a pretty noticable difference.

#1-Subframe connectors
-You'll be amazed how much solid your car will feel. It will also get rid of some of the creaking sounds from your car.

#2-3.73 gears... This willl give you some nice seat of the pants feel. 4.10 if you want more kick BUT it will rev higher and louder.

If you want to do more.. you can always add a cold air kit, Kenne Bell supercharger, exhaust, coil over kit, caster camber, etc....

We have a nice 98 Cobra vert in our shop right now that just had a Kenne Bell supercharger installed in it which is 100% CA emmissions legal. In fact, everything on this Cobra is 100% emmissions legal.

[ January 29, 2006, 01:06 AM: Message edited by: Apexmotorsports ]

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you shouldnt have a problem with the SRT-4's as it sits, do you? Get some 4:10 gears, sticky tires, full exhaust, and some nitrous and call it a day!

Stock i believe you have 3:27 gears, 24lbs injectors, but im not sure on the MAF size,engine is a modular 281 4v and once you start to mod it, it will definately wake up a bit! Stock hp is rated
305 with 300ft/lbs

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

9Roush8
¯
Member # 2472

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 9Roush8  Ford pictures for 9Roush8    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
4.10's at least, subframes, full exhaust o/r x. I cant stress this enough, some nice sticky tires, such as a drag radial. Honestly that has been the best improvement I have made to the car, hooks hard for 18's. Might want to start thinking about some suspension pieces as well.... but it really depends on what the goal of the car is.. goodluck

--------------------
2001 SVT Lightning
Belltech 3/4, 22" rims, slotted rotors, magnaflow high flow mids, bassani catback, JLT CAI

50 Deep
Jockin 03 Cobras
Member # 6216

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 50 Deep  Ford pictures for 50 Deep  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks fellas i appreciate the help. You guys should be hearn more questions from me soon

--------------------
Signature Wheel Ford Representative
Email: Terrance@Signaturewheel.com
Instagram: @Signature_Wheel_Mustang
Web: www.SignatureWheel.com

Posts: 6043 | From: sacramento | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
stangin'
¯
Member # 514

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangin'  Ford pictures for stangin'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
www.svtperformance.com
www.corral.net

thats a couple of big forums for cobras. the best mods for a NA cobra are:

4.30s, i have 4.56s
h/x-pipe
catback
CAI
underdrive pulleys

with these mods, if your cobra is in good shape and with a good driver, it's capable of low 13s.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com