Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » No Spark?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: No Spark?
1sick65
¯
Member # 3957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sick65  Ford pictures for 1sick65    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my 92 gt has no spark. the tfi module is good and so is the computer, they were both tested on another car. The + side of coil has 12v with key in on position. the wiring harness has been hidden under the fenders. the car currently turns over and the fuel pump will prime. any ideas as to why there would be no spark?
Posts: 1457 | From: Sacramento,CA | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
84GT5.0
¯
Member # 5227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84GT5.0  Ford pictures for 84GT5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are you getting current from the coil to the distributor, if you have power to the coil, but none the the distributor, then id try a different coil

[ January 26, 2006, 10:53 PM: Message edited by: 84GT5.0 ]

--------------------
RIP Russell W. Krill

two-gun kid2
¯
Member # 5891

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid2  Ford pictures for two-gun kid2    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by baggins:
my 92 gt has no spark. the tfi module is good and so is the computer, they were both tested on another car. The + side of coil has 12v with key in on position. the wiring harness has been hidden under the fenders. the car currently turns over and the fuel pump will prime. any ideas as to why there would be no spark?

i got a coil stock coil for $10 obo +shipping
Posts: 5566 | From: Hayward,Ca | Registered: Jul 2005  |  :
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He forgot to mention that we did that. I was helping him but didnt have a lot of time. The car was running fine. The harness was pulled back and rerouted through the fender and all the holes were welded up in the engine bay. the guy that did the work has done a few of these and hasnt had any problems. We pulled the ignition module and computer and they ran in my car fine. Also swapped in another coil, no change.

--------------------
Three 540 Bimmers and a 5.0 Explorer.... got a Ford back in the stable!

It's time for the country to do what Obama's own father did.
Abandon him.

Posts: 6069 | From: Rocklin, Ca | Registered: Oct 2004  |  :
84GT5.0
¯
Member # 5227

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 84GT5.0  Ford pictures for 84GT5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you try replacing the coil to distributor wire??? if not then id say its the wiring, or the distributor

--------------------
RIP Russell W. Krill

asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for asskickn88  Ford pictures for asskickn88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
He said the dist was just in a friends car and running ok. I guess we need to track through the harness to find where the problem is. I was guessing that because the engine bay was welded on, the current could have fried the computer or module but that wasnt it.

--------------------

Abandon him.

84GT5.0
¯
Member # 5227

quote:
Originally posted by asskickn88:
He said the dist was just in a friends car and running ok. I guess we need to track through the harness to find where the problem is. I was guessing that because the engine bay was welded on, the current could have fried the computer or module but that wasnt it.

did you try a new coil to dist wire? also the welding could have melted wiring on the other side of the metal . but if you have current at the coil it can only be a couple of things

--------------------
RIP Russell W. Krill

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check all the grounds that were re-done when the wiring was routed.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what jonhb said..
also, i know you said you checked the tfi, but.. did you replace the whole dist recently?
Something similar happened to me. i replaced my stock dist with a brand new msd unit. and stopped getting spark. changed the tfi module for the stock one and nada. changed coil.. wires, not believing it could be a brand new dist cuasing the problem, with no success. eventually.. took the whole unit out. replaced it with the stock one and the car started right up.
Good luck.

--------------------
=(

1sick65
¯
Member # 3957

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1sick65  Ford pictures for 1sick65    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
distributor came out of a running car. i am going to go through and recheck the main engine harness. if that is not it i have no idea what it could be.
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope that when he added wire, that he soldered it on and didnt splice it on.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
1sick65
¯
Member # 3957

would that make such a difference that it wouldnt spark? butt connectors reallly dont have that much resistance. plus there was only like to splice necessary
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

quote:
Originally posted by baggins:
would that make such a difference that it wouldnt spark? butt connectors reallly dont have that much resistance. plus there was only like to splice necessary

It wouldnt make much difference at first but over time they would corrode. You can use RTV gasket maker and seal around the wire on both ends to take car of the problem though.

--------------------

Abandon him.

1sick65
¯
Member # 3957

OK i have looked over my harness a thousand times now and i still cant find any loose wires. what the hell could this be?
Rob [5LVENOM]
¯
Member # 2282

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rob [5LVENOM]  Ford pictures for Rob [5LVENOM]    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you 180 out maybe?
1sick65
¯
Member # 3957

i dont think i am. and even if i was i dont think that would cause NO spark. or would it?
asskickn88
¯
Member # 4957

No, the timing would just be off.

--------------------

Abandon him.

04Z06
AX/OT Moderator
Member # 2309

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 04Z06  Ford pictures for 04Z06    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Make sure the TFI is not loose. If it is not tight it will give you this situation. Make sure it is not pressing up against the engine. I learned this one the hard way.

What was done to the car before this happened?

E

--------------------
2004 Z06
2003 DSG Mach 1 Wife took it in the Divorce
2001 Cobra (scrap yard, I hope)
2003 Blk Cobra (traded)

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com