Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » having issues bleeding my brakes...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: having issues bleeding my brakes...
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1987 5.0 booster
1995 GT Master cylinder
Matt90GT's 3-2 port conversion kit
Gutted stock prop valve, w/ FMS solid plug
SSBC adj. prop valve installed at the passenger coupler
1991 crown vic police 73mm steel piston front calipers
1988 turbocoupe rearend from a 5spd car (3.55's, vented discs)
stock foxbody rearend hardline, using adapters at the caliper flex lines
russel stainless braided brake lines up front, and from rear mainline to rearend hardline - rubber at the rear caliper flex lines (do they make a kit for those???)

the pedal goes to the floor after bleeding through 2 quarts + 4 small bottles (pints?) of dot3 brake fluid using a motive PRESSURE BLEEDER. I have the rear brake bias set to full increase (wide open) on my adj prop valve.

what am I missing here [Confused] the fluid is coming out clear and clean with no air bubbles, I'm bleeding at 15psi and even jumped into the car and pumped the brake pedal while bleeding out each rear caliper. Initially a ton of air came out of the rears and a little out of the fronts, but now just clean clear fluid.

should I take the calipers off and move them around or something? Maybe air is getting stuck in them somewhere?

with the engine off I can pump the pedal and it will firm up and feel perfect, but start the engine and it just goes to the floor and pumping doesn't do anything.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
NO MANRZ
¯
Member # 566

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NO MANRZ  Ford pictures for NO MANRZ    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Are you letting the brake fluid level get too low in the resevoir as you're bleeding?

--------------------
Bring It . . .

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Perhaps your brake Master Cylinder just took a dump.

You can make your own hardline out of SS line and flare/AN fittings, I just made my own a while ago.

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like you need to bleed the master cylinder. crack open each line that connects to it like you are bleeding the brakes

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hungry Hippo:
sounds like you need to bleed the master cylinder. crack open each line that connects to it like you are bleeding the brakes

yeah I did that.

and no manrz: I dont think its possible to let the fluid level get to low with a pressure bleeder, its forcing fluid into it at 15psi

88droptop: the m/c is brand new, not a remanu.

its just acting like there is air in the lines but the last quart of fluid I bleed through it came out looking brand new with zero bubbles from every wheel...

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
are the bleeder valves on top of the caliper? maybe you have them on the wrong sides? i did that once

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

yeah they're on the top and facing the rear of the car, I was worried about that too

[ January 13, 2006, 12:44 PM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Stupid quesion... are you bleeding the rears 1st then the fronts?
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Do you have teflon tape or paste on the threads of the bleeder valves? I always have problems when bleeding the brakes if the bleeder valves are not sealed because air gets back in past the threads. Try sealing the bleeder threads...

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
Do you have teflon tape or paste on the threads of the bleeder valves? I always have problems when bleeding the brakes if the bleeder valves are not sealed because air gets back in past the threads. Try sealing the bleeder threads...

thanks I'll try that when I pull the calipers all off tomorrow.

92stanglx, yes. RR, LR, RF, LF in that order, with my adj prop valve adjusted to full rear bias.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

I had the front calipers mounted on the wrong side [Big Grin]

brakes work great now, took about 5 minutes to bleed the brakes after swapping them, I love my pressure bleeder

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Camaro Kid Z/28
¯
Member # 3100

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Camaro Kid Z/28  Ford pictures for Camaro Kid Z/28    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by blind:
I had the front calipers mounted on the wrong side [Big Grin]

brakes work great now, took about 5 minutes to bleed the brakes after swapping them, I love my pressure bleeder

[Roll Eyes] crackhead!

--------------------
1973 Camaro Z/28(clone)
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2649130
"4-eyes forever essay!"

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I thought teflon tape on brake line threads was a BIIIIG no-no

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JoeT:
I thought teflon tape on brake line threads was a BIIIIG no-no

its only on the bleeder valves and its teflon paste [patriot]

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com