Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » why get a 306?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: why get a 306?
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
this is an honest question. i don't know the answer so don't make fun (.. yeah, i mean you hidnnos)
What's a good reason to get a 306? i mean.. i've been thinking about getting one for the longest time and since my bday is this week and xmas i coming along.. i thought i'd put it on my list.

Someone told me they don't make much more power than 302s.
if i get a 306 could i swap all the parts that i currently have on my car?
What advantages are there to getting a 306 over a 302 with say forged internal?
thanks.

--------------------
=(

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
It depends on how the motor is built. If you build a 306 to factory specs you are not going to gain that much power with 4 extra cubic inches.
A 306 is just a 302 that has the cylinders bored.

I would recommend building a 331 or a 347. You will see some real power gains there. Of course you should upgrade the cam, intake, heads, etc. while you are in the process.

Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would get a 331, or 347. The advantages are bigger stroke, and bore. The 306 is a good motor, but the more cubic inches the more power. There is a guy in RI that builds great motors, and ships them for free! I was going to build a stroker with my stock block, but it was cheaper to buy from him already built. He has the best prices on the web that I could find. You can get motors cheaper, but not with as good of parts. Link

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
stangless
¯
Member # 1414

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangless  Ford pictures for stangless    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
when i mean swaping parts i didn't mean swapping stock parts.. I meant the ones i already upgraded. track heat intake, twisted wedge aluminum heads.. mild crane cam and all the supporting mods.
that 337 looks nice but way out of my price range right now.
anyone else?

--------------------
=(

Eagle347
¯
Member # 6205

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eagle347  Ford pictures for Eagle347    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats actually a really good price, even if you do a 306 you will speand about that if you want everything forged.

--------------------
1995 Mustang GTS 1 of 1002 deep forest green GTS's made. Bone stock.

1990 Coupe 347 NX E85 Nitrous kit

Posts: 712 | From: Dayton, OH | Registered: Nov 2005  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Jmir018:
i don't know the answer so don't make fun (.. yeah, i mean you hidnnos)

HA, You're getting ALL the same information I gave you, you just think I was messing with you......... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
when i mean swaping parts i didn't mean swapping stock parts.. I meant the ones i already upgraded. track heat intake, twisted wedge aluminum heads.. mild crane cam and all the supporting mods.
that 337 looks nice but way out of my price range right now.
anyone else?

I know it is hard when you are on a budget. However, if you invest the money in the bottom end you won't have to fix shit later. I would recommend saving a bit more money and building a good, strong 347.

Good luck [patriot]

stangless
¯
Member # 1414

no.. i posted this when you signed off and didn't finish answering my question..
[Big Grin]
pluss.. your answer was "no, get a 331" which leaves a lot of info out.

If i do get a 331.. will the aftermarkets parts i have now still work or not? i understand that it will probably not be the best for hp.. but since i won't have money to buy betterflowing heads and whatnot.. will they fit to keep the car running until then?

[ December 05, 2005, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Jmir018 ]

--------------------
=(

92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

quote:
no.. i posted this when you signed off and didn't finish answering my question..
[Big Grin]
pluss.. your answer was "no, get a 331" which leaves a lot of info out.

If i do get a 331.. will the aftermarkets parts i have not still work or not? i understand that it will probably not be the best for hp.. but since i won't have money to buy betterflowing heads and whatnot.. will they fit to keep the car running until then?

All the parts you listed should work fine with a 331 or 347. Just make sure you check piston to valve clearance w/ your cam.
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
If i do get a 331.. will the aftermarkets parts i have now still work or not? i understand that it will probably not be the best for hp.. but since i won't have money to buy betterflowing heads and whatnot.. will they fit to keep the car running until then?

I don't see why they wouldn't. You are just modifying the internals to 331 specs. It's still a 302 block visually (for smog). [Wink]

The REAL reason most people get a 306 is to up the CR ratio for h/i/c and put ARP hardware throughout (rods + stud mains) for higher RPM capacity. Or maybe lower it for boosted setups. It's all up to you just remember you're limited to the stock blocks' HP capacity.

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I stayed with a 304 (.020) for mine because with the Supercharger and the H/C/I, I can make enough Hp to break the stock block if I turn up the boost, so why spend another 1500 on stroker parts? Sure, I probably give up some torque down low, but I don't miss it in a street car.
What are your PLANS for the car? This should be the driving force behind your decision.
AND, if you can do a 351W swap, do it.....

SydeWaySix
CAFords OG
Member # 3596

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SydeWaySix  Ford pictures for SydeWaySix    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
because .030" over is a common size to overbore when rebuilding a motor. while ou're in there, CR can be changed, and the valves will be unshrouded a hair

--------------------
2013 Boss 302 #356. Performance White. Stock.
1965 Fastback GT Restored to stock spec.

cdog301
¯
Member # 5136

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cdog301  Ford pictures for cdog301    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
go big or go home! [Razz]

--------------------
1992 Notch
Dss Pro Bullet
Afr 165's
GT40 U/L
Bassani X w/cats
and other goodies!!!!!!!
I love MOSTLY MUSTANGS OAKLAND CA

Posts: 386 | From: Richmond CA | Registered: Dec 2004  |  :
SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by a50sn95:
I stayed with a 304 (.020) for mine because with the Supercharger and the H/C/I, I can make enough Hp to break the stock block if I turn up the boost, so why spend another 1500 on stroker parts? Sure, I probably give up some torque down low, but I don't miss it in a street car.
What are your PLANS for the car? This should be the driving force behind your decision.
AND, if you can do a 351W swap, do it.....

Yeah if You are planning on staying NA then go with a stroker! But kind of a waste with boosted stroker stock block. [burnout]

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinLX:
kind of a waste with boosted stroker stock block. [burnout]

So Forced331's 4 year old stock blocked 331 making 559 S trim RWHP is a waste [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:

So Forced331's 4 year old stock blocked 331 making 559 S trim RWHP is a waste [Confused]
yes because he can make the same power with the same parts on a stock shortblock

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

SmokinLX
¯
Member # 1684

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SmokinLX  Ford pictures for SmokinLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

He has pressed His luck and came out on top, but most will fail at that HP level. I think it would be a waste to spend the money and time to machine the block and buy the rotating assembly only to have it fail a few month's or a year later when You can make similar #'s with a stock or cheap 306, and do it rite the first time with a block that was made to handle 500 + rwhp. If You want to take the chance Yourself I would say go for it, but I would'nt feel comfortable recommending someone to build a stroker and throw boost on.

--------------------
Dont claim power if ya cant mile per hour. 10 second AOD

66 AC COBRA
Nitrous King
Member # 904

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 66 AC COBRA  Ford pictures for 66 AC COBRA    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

He has pressed His luck and came out on top, but most will fail at that HP level. I think it would be a waste to spend the money and time to machine the block and buy the rotating assembly only to have it fail a few month's or a year later when You can make similar #'s with a stock or cheap 306, and do it rite the first time with a block that was made to handle 500 + rwhp. If You want to take the chance Yourself I would say go for it, but I would'nt feel comfortable recommending someone to build a stroker and throw boost on.
if i had an endless supply of money but had to stick with a stock block, i would put a 347 in it and run slightly lower boost to make the same power

but because most of us like to save money the 302/306 makes more sense, its much cheaper, will handle the same power, and basically make just as much power

559rwhp isnt a waste, im not saying its not impressive, im saying that when looking at a 331 vs a 302 in stock block, there isnt a reason for anything bigger then a 3" stroke when boost is being used [patriot]

--------------------
FFR AC Cobra
72 Vega - WCHRA Extreme 10.5

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com