Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Throttle Body Problems

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Throttle Body Problems
lky_3
¯
Member # 1116

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for lky_3  Ford pictures for lky_3  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I recently aquired a 65mm throttle body, CAI and egr for my 89 mustang. The only problem is that my car dosent want to run. I can give it gas, but when I tap the gas pedal it shoots up to 3,500 rpm and holds for a second before dropping back down to 800. It does repeadetly and I cant seem to get a steady flow. Also, when I installed mt throttle body I noticed that it was in the closed position...does this really matter?!?! I think that it would cause I'm not getting any air into the engine. Please HELP.

--------------------
89 GT

Yes, Primer is a color!

Posts: 891 | From: City of Angels / 91405 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the throttle cable clip that attaches to the throttle body ball is probably sticking, try greasing that.

did you reset the cars idle when you installed it, and set the tps?

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
bigjay
¯
Member # 6110

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigjay  Ford pictures for bigjay    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do check the throttle cable linkage but also make sure you have no vaccume leaks anywhere, make sure your seals between the throttle body and spacer are good as well as the spacer to plenum. make sure all of your vaccume lines are hooked back up and not ripped anywhere from removal. also check to see that there are no holes or leakes between the MAF and the throttle body. the throttle body will remain int he closed position as it is spring controlled, the throttle cable opens it and it automatically springs shut, its just liek the butterflys on a carb

[ October 29, 2005, 07:44 PM: Message edited by: bigjay ]

--------------------
if ford is FOMOco, that means honda is HOMOco

Posts: 132 | From: Escalon, 209 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As bigjay is getting at is sounds like you have unmetered air getting in (ie - vacuum leak). Double check all of your connections.

Was the TB and EGR spacer that you put on brand new or used? Did the TB have the idle air control solenoid on it or did you swap over your old one? What about the actual EGR valve, did you reuse your old one and reconnect everything? Did you use all new gaskets at the spacer to intake, spacer to TB, EGR valve to TB, IAC to TB?

The throttle body blade will be held closed via the spring. The IAC solenoid opens and closes at idle to keep a small amount of air flowing to the motor to keep it running when the blade is closed.

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com