Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » overheating problem (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: overheating problem
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well the fan runs constantly when its supposed to so i really dont think the fan could be the problem im gonna try and installing the fan on the opposite side and flip the wiring.
I ahve been checking the oil and the iol shows no sign of having wtaer in it it also does not throw any smoke of any color. i have noticed theres kindda of a antifreeze burning or something like that when im at a stop light could that mean anything?im just running out of options i already put in another thermostat in.reflushed the radiator checked just about everything i could i just dont know what else to do!!is there a teast i could run to find out if its the head gasket???

--------------------
Ill keep my guns and my money, you can have the change

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yes there is and most radiator shops will do it for like 30.00..
What temp thermostat do you use?

If you smell antifreeze there is more than likely and leak..

If there is a small leak the cooling system can't hold the pressure and will boil over a a lower temp..

Also make sure you put the fan behind the radiator in the engine bay and wire it to pull air not push...
It needs to pull...
If you put the fan in front of the rad. you will cut down the airflow while driving causing another problem..

Hope this helps..
Eddie

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Eddie510:
you checked if the thermistat was backwards?

If it was in backwards it would not get hot at all!!
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for migs66/92  Ford pictures for migs66/92    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hey thanks eddie i appreciate your help
the thermostat im running is a 190*
there are no visible leaks that i can see also i only smell antifreeze when the car is really hot and before it boils over im gonna go take it to a radiator shop and see if they can do a test on it thanks man

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
have you tried bypassing the heater core like suggested before?
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
No electric fan will produce as much CFM as a mechanical fan. Take it out, put the stock shroud and fan back in, and use a Heavy Duty fan clutch which you can buy at any auto parts store.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

posted September 07, 2005 05:28 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
have you tried bypassing the heater core like suggested before?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
how do i do that???

--------------------

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

i gotta go and get a new clutch fan for it. those damm things are expensive [Eek!]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
follow the black tubes on the intake towards the firewall, at the firewall you'll see it splits into 2 rubber hoses, take them both off and then loop the larger diameter of the two back so that it connects both of the metal tubes that run along the intake, that will bypass your heatercore.

if the heatercore is blown your whole system wont hold pressure, if you can smell coolant you have a leak somewhere and no matter if you have a turbine powered fan cooling off the motor it will overheat if you can't get it to hold pressure.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

well it turns out to be the damm head gaskets so here i go im gonna try and do it myself any suggestions or tips on doing em??

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd suggest putting better heads on then come off [burnout]

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

yeah i would put better heads on but i not able to spend that kind of cash on that right now i have another ? when i took the heads off there all kind of burnt shit on the pistons whats the best way of cleaning that shit off with out damaging the piston walls or with out getting shit in the piston? my neigbor said to use carb cleaner and use a blow gun and blow all the shit out of it.I was wondering if thats a good idea.

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

that would work, but carb cleaner wont do much.

best way is with a wire wheel attachment for a drill, then clean it off really good with rubbing alchohol or carb cleaner than blow off with air compressor

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

kool thanks blind i really appreciate your help man

--------------------

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
after you do that, clean the cylinder walls with wd40. also make sure the block and head surfaces are clean and flat

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

should i do the same to the bottom of the heads? the valves look like shit too.
does anyone what the rates are for redoing heads just a regular head rebuild or maybe just new valves and guides?

--------------------

migs66/92
¯
Member # 4811

what kindda permatex product should i use on the head gasket? should i use copper spray a gasket high temp sealant, or use ultra black hi-temp rtv silicone gasket maker for the head gasket???or should i use anything in between the head gasket and block at all????

--------------------

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com