Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Will 245's fit the front of a fox?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Will 245's fit the front of a fox?
90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a 90 lx and have stock pony's with eibach <sp?> sportline springs. I was wondering if 245's would be to wide for the front? thanks [patriot]
Posts: 5364 | From: Shooting Skeet | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
two-gun kid
¯
Member # 5325

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for two-gun kid  Ford pictures for two-gun kid    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no i think mike(oh0h50) had 245 all around on his green notch

--------------------
Two-Gun Motorsports
-Team Legion 510-
-KINGTOM Groupie-

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
thanks [Smile]

Anyone have these personally or know for sure [Confused]

i dont want to buy some tires in a few days an end up having them rub in the front. I know the rear is fine, im already running something bigger than 245's in the rear

[patriot]

Ty
¯
Member # 4920

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ty  Ford pictures for Ty  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
im runnin 245s all the way around and the only time they rub is just when i turn the wheel too far when i back up. other than that they're fine

--------------------
DRIVE FAST TAKE CHANCES
----------------------------
90 gt nothin special, just your average bolt ons...OUT TO PASTURE
69 fastback project car

Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran 245/45-17's all around on my '90. They would rub just a bit on the front. I was able to hammer the lip on the fender just a hair and solve that. For the rubbing on the A-arm at full lock you can add one additional steering rack limiter to each side of the rack to keep it from rubbing.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 245's all the way around on my 89 lx. They only rub when I turn the wheel to far when backing up,...same as mentioned above. And for whatever reason if I take a left turn to hard 'something' on the passenger side rear rubs,...I can never pinpoint it though. There are no marks on the wheel,tire,fender or anything...maybe the quad shock?
1992gtdrop
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 245/45 18's all the way around. They rub when I back-up and turn all the way as mentioned above. No marks on my wheels though [Confused] I will definately go w/ smaller profile tire once my cars is lowered though [patriot]
:
BCINGUU
¯
Member # 2397

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BCINGUU  Ford pictures for BCINGUU  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have 245/45/17 up front and 275/40/17 in back.

Like v-town said, the fronts rubbed when full turning but I put in 1/4" spaces and that solved it.

The rears rubbed both the shocks, inner fender wells, and outer fender lip. I put in 1/4" spacers and had the fender lips cut and that solved it.

Check this - my 93 Cobra came with 245/45/17 stock (which is why I thought they would fit the GT). But the 93 Cobra has a limited steering stop so the turning radius is worse.

--------------------
93 Cobra #4563 347ci 12.0@118 505rwhp 524tq
90 GT "Saleen Cobra" style convertible 347ci
67 GT "Eleanor" style coupe 347ci

Posts: 1425 | From: San Jose, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Wolfie351
¯
Member # 651

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wolfie351  Ford pictures for Wolfie351    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
255s all the way around with a steering limiter and master of the 3 point u-turn

--------------------
1985 Mustang GT: 351W, Griggs, Baer, etc etc

Posts: 1214 | From: South Bay | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
92stangLX
¯
Member # 3252

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92stangLX  Ford pictures for 92stangLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had 245/16's with Eibachs (don't know what kind) and they only rubbed sometimes in a lock to lock turn. My 245/17's don't rub at all.
Posts: 5302 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Sep 2003  |  :
BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run 255/40/17s on the front, fender lip is rolled but the rim hits the A-Arm on full turns
Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Sean90GT:
I ran 245/45-17's all around on my '90. They would rub just a bit on the front. I was able to hammer the lip on the fender just a hair and solve that. For the rubbing on the A-arm at full lock you can add one additional steering rack limiter to each side of the rack to keep it from rubbing.

I have info on the rack limiters here on my site. I have 255s on my front. But U Turns suck now due to 3 rack limiters needed. LOL

http://jaybquick.com/Helpful.htm

Third one down. Enjoy!

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

90FoX
FoX
Member # 1974

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 90FoX  Ford pictures for 90FoX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thanks everyone [patriot]

From what I'm hearing I will probably go with 235's in the front and 245's in the rear.

Now I just need to pick a profile. [Big Grin]

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Wolfie351:
255s all the way around with a steering limiter and master of the 333 point u-turn

fixed it for him [Big Grin]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Luke87GT
Lay'n more stripes
than Caltrans
Member # 21

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Luke87GT  Ford pictures for Luke87GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should have no problems with the 245's on the front with Pony's.

Sean, you can't compare 245's on Bullitts and 245 on Pony's.

Your 99Cobra rims are 17x8 with 5.72" BS
The Pony's are 16x7 with 4.91" BS.

That means that your 99Cobra wheels stick out 0.19" further than the 16x7 Pony's assuming the same track width...

That extra 0.19" likely means there would be no problems with outter fender rubbing with the Pony's.

I ran 245's on the front of my 92LX years ago and had no problems. Just remember, all cars are slighty different due to tolerances, worn bushings, etc. Also a 245 from one tire manufacturer may be lsightly different width that from another manufacturer.

For example, Nitto makes narrow tires for the size they claim compared to other manufacturers...

[ July 15, 2005, 11:50 AM: Message edited by: Luke87GT ]

--------------------
Stangless

Posts: 7802 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
You should have no problems with the 245's on the front with Pony's.

Sean, you can't compare 245's on Bullitts and 245 on Pony's.

Your 99Cobra rims are 17x8 with 5.72" BS
The Pony's are 16x7 with 4.91" BS.

That means that your 99Cobra wheels stick out 0.19" further than the 16x7 Pony's assuming the same track width...

That extra 0.19" likely means there would be no problems with outter fender rubbing with the Pony's.

I ran 245's on the front of my 92LX years ago and had no problems. Just remember, all cars are slighty different due to tolerances, worn bushings, etc. Also a 245 from one tire manufacturer may be lsightly different width that from another manufacturer.

For example, Nitto makes narrow tires for the size they claim compared to other manufacturers...

The 245's on Pony's shouldn't be a problem for rubbing on the fender but you will still have to contend with rubbing on the control arm at full lock U-turns. I had to install the additional steering rack limiter to each side when I had Pony's with 225's on my '90.

This issue was addressed from the factory on 91+ when they added the Pony wheels.

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com