Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » For a FOX-SVO & SN95 brake conversion q's??

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: For a FOX-SVO & SN95 brake conversion q's??
STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How much wider does the rear end get with these conversions?

Does the SVO have the same spindles as the stock 5.0's?

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the rears are 1.25" longer per side vs the stock length axles. i dont know about the front spindles.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the fronts are like 1/2" or so further out. I believe the SVO's are the same as 5.0 spindles...

I have SVO rotors on my car, with the ranger axles in the rear. If you do convert to disc in the rear, it is wider and the tires are more likely to rub.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for venomous99  Ford pictures for venomous99    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
with the svo's youll definitely be limited to an 8" wide wheel(assuming you're going with stock wheels) and 245 tires.
when i ran sn95 rear axles(which are even shorter than the svo) the largest tire i could go with on a 8" wide wheel(96 cobra wheels) without rubbing was a 245 width tire.

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

h8louzn
¯
Member # 1075

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for h8louzn  Ford pictures for h8louzn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:
the rears are 1.25" longer per side vs the stock length axles. i dont know about the front spindles.

Where did you come up with that?
It's 3/4" wider per side for a total of 1 1/2 "
overall.

You can also run a wider rim than a 8" it will just have to be offset more.

And yes the front is the same.

[ June 13, 2005, 10:40 PM: Message edited by: h8louzn ]

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I ran 18"x9" rims in front with a 24mm offset in the front with SVO/Lincoln brakes with a 245 tire with no problem and Moser axles(stock Fox length) with T-bird calipers and rotors with some custom brackets this dude sells on e-bay for $40 to mount the calipers and used a 18"x9" rim with a 24mm offset and a 275 tire with plenty of room, hit me up Nick if you got??????? [patriot]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

quote:
Originally posted by h8louzn:
quote:
Originally posted by venomous99:

Where did you come up with that?
It's 3/4" wider per side for a total of 1 1/2 "
overall.

You can also run a wider rim than a 8" it will just have to be offset more.

i read it off a site written by matt90gt who has an excellent write-up about 5lug conversion somewhere on the net. the site is no longer accessable without password. i do have the write-up printed up but its at work. ill double check the numbers.
when i said 8" wide wheels, im assuming stock offset wheels(whatever they are). obviously with the correct offset you can even run 10" wide wheels.

if you're flexible, id go with the stock length axles with northcoast racer brackets to use sn95 calipers with either gt/v6 rotors or cobras. that way you could get away with as wide as 10"(22mm offset).

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

STREETFIGHTER50
¯
Member # 2973

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for STREETFIGHTER50  Ford pictures for STREETFIGHTER50    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I might be gettin some original Ford Bullits for it. I hope they fit. I see a lot of the aftermarket Bullets are 17x9 vs. Ford's 17x8. So more likely the Ford's should work, huh?

--------------------
'89 Coupe-Kurgan Tuned 498/491RW, Vortech SI, 351W

Posts: 3925 | From: SF Bay Coastin' to Rocklin | Registered: Jun 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.svo73mm.cjb.net/

[ June 14, 2005, 01:35 AM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
venomous99
¯
Member # 1917

i confirmed on that write-up i printed out that the lincoln/svo axles are 1.25" longer per side vs stock 87-93 axles.
keep in mind you're also limited to what wheels you can run with the svo front rotors. according to the same write-up
"SVO/Lincoln front rotors will NOT work with the Ford 98&99+Cobra, Y2K Cobra R wheels and 97+GT 17" wheels. Most of the wheels will mount up('98 cobra and the Bullitt wheels will not), but you will not be able to mount the center cap due to the larger dust cap on the rotor." you can run a spacer but it is not recommended.
get a front setup from a sn95(94, 95) so you dont have to worry about this. I just recently upgraded to this setup and have fr500 18x9. the wheels sit perfect.
hope that helps

--------------------
MKII Q7
89LX

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I use all 1999 Mustang GT 5 lug components. master cylinder, front soft lines and custom rear hardlines, rear axles, calipers, rotors and brackets as well as the front hubs, spindles, rotors, calipers (yes the PBR dual pistons), etc... The only modifications I hade to make were some brake lines anda little grinding down of the bracket that mounts to the front strut. The bracket for the hub was wider than the strut but a little messaging got it to fit perfectly. I rolled my fenders in the rear and everything fits nicely with no rubbing at all. I have 17x9 245's all around. My honest opinion is buy a 5 lug kit from a newer model mustang and make get the little odds and ends to make it work. Then you are gaurenteed to fit any and ALL rims on that beast down the road.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1785 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com