Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » intermittant Reverse tranny grind what would be the most likely problem?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: intermittant Reverse tranny grind what would be the most likely problem?
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just want as much info for when I take the mach1 into ford to have them look at it...

the guy at ford of fairfield said that it could have been caused by me if i was riding the clutch?
that dosent make any sense to me? especially since its intermittant. I dont have an aftermarket shifter installed either.

any help would be greatly appreciated [patriot]

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if its the same as a T5 you're basically supposed to shift it into 5th before reverse so that it doesn't grind, or so I've been told.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
Sean90GT
¯
Member # 33

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sean90GT  Ford pictures for Sean90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Reverse is not a synchronized gear. It will grind sometimes at a stand still (and almost always if rolling).

To minimize the grind choose a synchronized gear (I use 2nd) before going in to reverse. It's not a Mustang thing. It's a transmission thing.

--------------------
Currently Mustang-less...

Posts: 543 | From: Then: San Jose, CA Now: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: Jul 2000  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The clutch could also be out of adjustment, causing the tranny to grind.

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
droptp50
¯
Member # 5546

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for droptp50  Ford pictures for droptp50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my car does that somtimes and i was told by someone your suposed to put it in first real quick then to reverse and it wont grind ever since i started doing that ive had no problems

--------------------
91 gt vert - sold
89 lx hatch

1FAST89GT
¯
Member # 5071

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1FAST89GT  Ford pictures for 1FAST89GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put it in 5th then reverse or if it happens all the time the cluth is probaly out of adjustment
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:
put it in 5th then reverse or if it happens all the time the cluth is probaly out of adjustment

the 3650 (i think thats the correct model number)
has a reverse lock out feature that wont let you go from 5th to reverse... 5th to neutral to reverse works fine tho.

whats the method for adjusting the clutch? from what I was told, its push down and then pull up on the pedal?
thanks guys!@

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

91 5.0
¯
Member # 1527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0  Ford pictures for 91 5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 94gt:
quote:
Originally posted by 1FAST89GT:

the 3650 (i think thats the correct model number)
has a reverse lock out feature that wont let you go from 5th to reverse... 5th to neutral to reverse works fine tho.

whats the method for adjusting the clutch? from what I was told, its push down and then pull up on the pedal?
thanks guys!@

That is supposed to do it. The quadrants are supposed to be self adjusting. As far as the grind, choose a gear (not fifth) and then shift to reverse.

--------------------
02 GT - Zinc Yellow
91 5.0 LX - Red

Posts: 1316 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
92greenlx
¯
Member # 4734

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 92greenlx  Ford pictures for 92greenlx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1st the reverse works for me. That is how I do it everytime now.
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
for the self adjustment, you pull up then push down the clutch pedal

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i just got into the habit of throwing into 1st then into reverse....

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

I hear you guys, but damn, its a 19k tranny... I shouldnt have to, ya know?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

IT IS NOT synchrnoized so it doesn't matter the mileage. It is physically impossible to be perfect each time without a synchronizer. Look inside a tranny sometime and it will make complete sense.

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

quote:
Originally posted by jaybquick:
quote:

IT IS NOT synchrnoized so it doesn't matter the mileage. It is physically impossible to be perfect each time without a synchronizer. Look inside a tranny sometime and it will make complete sense.
but ive driven 2 other stangs, 97 v-6 and a 00gt and didnt have that happen... and my 98 ranger doesnt do it.

and why would it not grind for the 1st month, and then all of the sudden just start then?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com