Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What psi to run in Nitto Drag Radials

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What psi to run in Nitto Drag Radials
BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I just mounted up my new nittos today, what PSI am I supposed to run in them on the street and track? I put in 28 right now, I'm thinking 15-18 at the track? They hook pretty damn good right now and it doesn't seem to handle bad or look low on air.
Posts: 1379 | From: 510 East Bay | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would think they would grab at 28 [Eek!] Mine are suppose to be 40, I checked mine with chalk to see how low I could go before the tire started to slip on the rim when you dig, it slipped at 31 psi! So I run mine at 38 on the street and about 33 when I know I'm draggin'. I have 555r2's. You can check your own to see where yours slip, if yours don't slip at 28 leave em there, that's low though:patriot:

Edit: these tires rock, huh? Wait 'til they break in just a tad [Whoo Whooooo!]

[ March 31, 2005, 10:12 PM: Message edited by: RixSikCobra ]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert
Built,Ported,Cammed,Juiced

Posts: 2120 | From: Pleasanton | Registered: Nov 2004  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
time to bolt the tire to the rim!! [patriot] [burnout]

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I have mine at about 30 psi. I havent been to the track with them, but i would think they'd hook pretty good around 16psi at the track.

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
Yellow94GT
Mr. 60 FT
Member # 431

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Yellow94GT  Ford pictures for Yellow94GT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
How low you run them at the track depends on how wide and short/tall the tire is. I used to run 315/35/17's and with those you didn't want to go under 18 psi at the track or they would start spinning, (not spinning on the rim, just losing traction). On the street, um, I think I ran them at about 25 psi [Smile]

FWIW, I run my the BFG DR's that I have now at 24 psi for the track and the street [patriot]

--------------------
AED

1994 GT Bucket that will likely never run
1999 SLOLEEN Twin Turbo Coyote
2008 F250 580 RWHP 1129 RWTQ

Posts: 5990 | From: Cameron Park, Ca | Registered: Sep 2001  |  :
BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackDrop50  Ford pictures for BlackDrop50  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah I think I'll leave them at 28 and bump it up a little if I'm going to drive on the freeway for a bit. I'll just drop em to around 18-20 at the track.

These things hook really damn good though. I've been so used to spinning, then I just warmed them up a little with 15 min of driving and went full throttle in second and it just grabbed and squatted and took off hard! I just have to go about half throttle in first and ease into it. Haven't got em too hot yet because I just wanted to heat cycle them first. It's fun as fuck to take off hard from a stoplight!

Hey Rick you have the road racing Nittos? I was thinking about getting those instead, how do they handle and hook?

RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RixSikCobra  Ford pictures for RixSikCobra  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlackDrop50:
Yeah I think I'll leave them at 28 and bump it up a little if I'm going to drive on the freeway for a bit. I'll just drop em to around 18-20 at the track.

These things hook really damn good though. I've been so used to spinning, then I just warmed them up a little with 15 min of driving and went full throttle in second and it just grabbed and squatted and took off hard! I just have to go about half throttle in first and ease into it. Haven't got em too hot yet because I just wanted to heat cycle them first. It's fun as fuck to take off hard from a stoplight!

Hey Rick you have the road racing Nittos? I was thinking about getting those instead, how do they handle and hook?

Sup? They hook great and handle awesome. Comin' outta corners they grab real well. I can dig way better now, also. I got a good nuff hook to be THOSE STI's last night [Whoo Whooooo!] [dance] .

I guess I can go lower based on what everyone else is saying. I guess it doesn't matter if it moves on the rim? I was told that that is no bueno, but that was just one person. I'll try going down to 20 when I know I'm gonna drag. [patriot]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert

Wildfire532FB
CAFords OG
Member # 1482

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Wildfire532FB  Ford pictures for Wildfire532FB  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by RixSikCobra:
I would think they would grab at 28 [Eek!] Mine are suppose to be 40, I checked mine with chalk to see how low I could go before the tire started to slip on the rim when you dig, it slipped at 31 psi! So I run mine at 38 on the street and about 33 when I know I'm draggin'. I have 555r2's. You can check your own to see where yours slip, if yours don't slip at 28 leave em there, that's low though:patriot:

Edit: these tires rock, huh? Wait 'til they break in just a tad [Whoo Whooooo!]

wow i ran my Nittos at 18psi at the track.

[ April 01, 2005, 11:58 AM: Message edited by: Cobra5.0JEEP ]

--------------------
./_ _ _ ___ __\
(]]]_ _ o _ _[[[)
|\_o_ __ __o_/|
|__|..........|__|
68 Fastback
84 CJ7
94 HMMWV
95 GT
03 F350
17 Fusion Hybrid

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the RII's have a stiffer sidewawll and made for cornering so they need more psi

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

RixSikCobra
¯
Member # 5058

See, I knew wasn't goin' crazy....any more than normal anyway [Razz]

--------------------
2004 Terminator
Torch Red Vert

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
mine on my car seemed to hook best between 15 and 18psi.and thats how i ran it on the street or the track.
these are on a 17x9.5 rim also

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run my Nitto 315/35 daily at 28psi and drop them to around 18psi at the track and with a sorry ass burn-out they still hooked very good but that was before jump in HP [Razz]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

1WICKEDmach
¯
Member # 4060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1WICKEDmach  Ford pictures for 1WICKEDmach    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I run mine at 25psi on the street at the track i drop the pressure to 15.

--------------------
RACETUNE
2003 Torch Red Mach 1
Maximum Motorsports Suspension, Exhaust, 4:10's
12.9@105mph 1.88 60ft

BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

I dropped it down to 25 today, slight bulge but hardly noticeable, shit hooks HARD. It was a little warm today so 1st gear hooks all the way through, 2nd gear rips. Even when I slip the clutch a little it just GRABS. Only bad thing is it seems to slightly ride rougher and it doesn't seem to handle the greatest, I don't feel that great taking curves fast anymore but oh well, gotta bump the PSI up a little for that.

I wonder what will happen with 15psi and 4000rpms clutch slip LOL [burnout]

[ April 05, 2005, 01:27 PM: Message edited by: BlackDrop50 ]

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What size are they again jason?
I've got 275s and if you heat em real good you can drop the clutch at 4 grand and they'll hook

--------------------
90 Notch

BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

They are 275/40/17s, they hook good with no burnout that's what I like, I've only done a couple launches, 28psi 10-15 foot burnout and 2500 rpms the car launches pretty good, I'm going to try with 25 and a little more rpms but I need to get my torque boxes welded up first! [burnout]
AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Yeah i havent given mine that many launches either cause i still have to get my boxes welded too, i just wanted to see what they could do [Big Grin]

--------------------
90 Notch

BlackDrop50
¯
Member # 1715

I just ordered these http://sfcart.umiperformance.com/1001.aspx

Check em out only $120 for lowers+uppers, a lot less than wild rides battle boxes and it looks exactly the same, gonna weld these suckers in next week

TRIXSNK
¯
Member # 2844

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for TRIXSNK  Ford pictures for TRIXSNK    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:
I've got 275s and if you heat em real good you can drop the clutch at 4 grand and they'll hook

This is coming from an IRS perspective but i don't think i'll ever be able to dump the cltuch at any rpm no matter how long a burn-out i do on Nitto's.....i always have to slip it a little and that's on the street let alone at the track [Frown]

--------------------
9 Sec EVO 9 is GONE!

New project in the works.......

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

quote:
Originally posted by TRIXSNK:
quote:
Originally posted by AJBlackGT:

This is coming from an IRS perspective but i don't think i'll ever be able to dump the cltuch at any rpm no matter how long a burn-out i do on Nitto's.....i always have to slip it a little and that's on the street let alone at the track [Frown]
Yeah i've never driven an IRS mustang but i still dont think the nittos would hook close to 500rwhp when you dump it anyway, i only have around 300rwhp off the bottle. [burnout]

--------------------
90 Notch

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com