Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.6 built engine questions (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 4.6 built engine questions
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Also if you are doing the 03/04 head swap on a 96-98, swap out the intake cams if you get the 03/04 heads complete the newer intake cams have 10 degrees less duration so swaping from a 03 cam to a 96-01 cam would make more horsepower. Also if you get a set of heads do not over look a good set of valves for these heads gains of 15-25 cfm can be found with a after market valves and a good valve job..

[ March 12, 2005, 02:44 AM: Message edited by: -NORCALCOBRA- ]

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
For any one who is interested a gentelman called me today after seeing this thread, he has a complete 03 motor with sensors and all motor has less than 500 miles on it. Motor spun a rod bearing and has been rebuilt. If anyone is interested pm me for his contact info...

Dave

[ March 12, 2005, 11:03 AM: Message edited by: -NORCALCOBRA- ]

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
408 986 8626

Larry
¯
Member # 5176

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Larry  Ford pictures for Larry    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HAVE A NEW 2003 COBRA MOTOR (OWNER SPUN A BEARING THE FIRST DAY OF OWNERSHIP ..MISSED A SHIFT..LESS THAN 200 MILES ON MOTOR..I AM REPLACING ALL BEARINGS,MOTOR IS IMMACULATE)COMPLETE WITH S/C ,WIRING HARNESS, ALT.,ALL PUMPS AND SENSORS..THIS MOTOR IF ORDERED FROM FORD OR ANY AFTER MARKET VENDOR WOULD COST $12,000.00 PLUS SHIPPING.

WILL CONSIDER ANY REASONABLE OFFER.

LARRY

--------------------
FAST COBRA VERT.

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FYI
I'd pull the cams on that 03 Cobra motor & check for journal damage on the heads.
Typically when a bearing fails it's due to lack of oil...once the bearing goes there is defenately a lack of oil to the top end of the motor. There are no cam bearings in these heads.....therefore a lack of oil to the top end can destroy the heads as they have steel cams riding in cast aluminum journals. Once the journals are destroyed, the heads are junk.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

There are way's of fixing journal's on high dollar race heads but for a stock head not worth the time and money.

--------------------
408 986 8626

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by -NORCALCOBRA-:
There are way's of fixing journal's on high dollar race heads but for a stock head not worth the time and money.

Yeah, we've got a pair of heads at the shop that've been machined for aftermarket bearings. I checked out his work order on the price he was charged. $1200 total for machining & bearings. [Eek!]

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Shawn, do you guys do head work on the 03-04 cobra heads? Looking for a combo for our 03. We would like to swap cams, and go larger valves. Basically get more hp, and a higher Rev out of it. Its for Road Racing not drag, so it has to last at the higher RPMS too. Can you help with some combo suggestions, and quotes on head work. Just as an FYI, we plan to have the Eaton Ported, we have the Accufab TB and Inlet, 2.8, Steeda CAI, blah blah blah, also for my dads curiousity, do long tubes get any proven gains on the 03-04's? We have been looking for real world dyno information with real numbers to show gains, but not much luck. Just company claims. Any help? [patriot]

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Yes, longtubes & a free-flowing exhaust help a great deal on the 03/04's.

Yes, we can modify your heads.

To get the most out of them I'd recomend Comp camshafts & valvetrain along with a full port of the heads.

What you need to realize is that the more you open up the motor (letting it breath) the less boost you will get. Due to the boost dropping power gains will be minimal, although inlet air temp will drop.
You should also think about the practical limits of the Eaton blower. Over spinning them creates heat.....heat is not good....especially in a road race car.
With higher flowing heads/exhaust the ported eaton may not be able to keep up. (depends on how much power you want)

--------------------
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Couldn't agree with you more about the eaton thing shaun...

FWIW. I just got done doing a set of 03 heads, And before they were ported they were flow benched with after market modmax valves We seen gains of 15-25 cfm and picked up gains at all lifts especially low lifts. If you are gonna swap bigger valves you are gonna need to swap valve seats.. 1mm bigger cut on stock valve will not last from what I have been told from the fastest n/a car owners in the world. Also I would go 1 mm bigger on the exhaust only leave the intake stock size..

Long tube gains you can expect to see alot of mid range gains, some have not seen much up top but for a road race car mid range would be perfect for coming out of corners..As for sizing I have seen dyno test on 03 headed motors where the 1 5/8 primaries make more hp then 1 3/4. I would go With a 1 5/8-1 3/4 stepped unless you decide to go crazy with boost/rpm I'd go bigger..

03 heads are worth about 10-20 hp over a set of 99/01 heads depending on the quality of the casting. there have been n/a cars with untouched heads cams and intakes that made 372 rwhp/361 ftlbs..Hands down I would go with 03 heads. I am still not sure if I am gonna go with the ported 03 heads or the 00 cobraR/05 ford gt heads..

[ March 14, 2005, 10:49 AM: Message edited by: -NORCALCOBRA- ]

--------------------
408 986 8626

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com