Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 4.6 built engine questions (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: 4.6 built engine questions
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm in the process of deciding on selling my car and getting a 03 Cobra or building a motor for the GT. Are modular strokers worth getting or should I just bore the motor over as much as possible.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

Posts: 2433 | From: Vacaville | Registered: Jul 2001  |  :
MINGRYGT
¯
Member # 2439

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MINGRYGT  Ford pictures for MINGRYGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I want to x2c has a 302 short block for $3495? I have one of their blocks and I think that it was put together well, It was delivered when promised and they have good tech service as well.

--------------------
R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY 5-17-03

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for bunchmyfunky  Ford pictures for bunchmyfunky    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by MINGRYGT:
I want to x2c has a 302 short block for $3495? I have one of their blocks and I think that it was put together well, It was delivered when promised and they have good tech service as well.

did you get the 302?
CDT
¯
Member # 5004

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CDT  Ford pictures for CDT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
the 5.0 stroker isnt going to be close to the power you can get with the 4v cobra.

--------------------
Custom Dyno Tuning
Home of Flat Fee Tuning For All Cars, Trucks and SUV's, EFI & Carb, SCT, AFR, Dynatech, STS Turbos, N2O Refills

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a short block that i mite sell with cp flat tops manley rods cobra crank built by h.c.i still on the stand.. I want to go a little crazier. As for a stroker motor they are okay f/s guys are making 370 rwhp on a .20 over motor and stock heads and intake with stock stroke. I have not many strokers beat that..Also fastest mod car in the world is a 4.6.. Big bore's make decent power they unshroud the valve and let the heads flow a little better...When building a mod motor remember compression is your friend. Why not do a 4v swap ??

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
R.M.I cylinder head fabrication
408 986 8626

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for -NORCALCOBRA-  Ford pictures for -NORCALCOBRA-    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would not do anything from X2C or C.H.P. Only people to touch my motors would be Boss330 racing,Mod Perf.,V.T and of course H.C.I...

--------------------
H.C.I 285 ci. ported 2003 heads heads, Sullivan Intake, stage 3 cams..T-76 single turbo to come...
408 986 8626

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

quote:
Originally posted by -NORCALCOBRA-:
I would not do anything from X2C or C.H.P. Only people to touch my motors would be Boss330 racing,Mod Perf.,V.T and of course H.C.I...

I was looking at the big bores they look really nice but its some big cash for them. The 4v is an option also. How much HP can the motor you have handle.

--------------------
01 GT 5spd

1.76 12.79@105.49

89 FAKE SNAKE
¯
Member # 4531

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89 FAKE SNAKE  Ford pictures for 89 FAKE SNAKE    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
wha is wrong with CHP?

--------------------
90 COUPE
01 R1 (stock)
04 XR-50(stroked)
06 TT-R50E
SRA & PWA member

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

C.H.P for MOD-MOTORS is junk I had along talk with John Mihovitz the other day about some various set ups and well lets just say stay away from this this 5.1 setup. And if anyone knows a thing about mod motor it's him...only one to run 6 seconds in a 4.6 to my knowledge. My motor I expect to make over 400 rwhp N/A. If I was going to build a motor for street/Strip duty I would go forged 4.6 flat top pistons forged rods stock cobra crank ported 03/04 heads Mildly ported 99/01 intake manifold. With bolt ons a good driver and traction you can have a very streetable 11 sec streetcar that can get 20+ mpg...

--------------------
408 986 8626

-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Feel free to give me a ring I got some of those parts needed to build that low 11 sec N/A car. That 03 is not a bad way to go either I just cant stand that whine..N/A-n20 is my gig..

--------------------
408 986 8626

bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

quote:
Feel free to give me a ring I got some of those parts needed to build that low 11 sec N/A car. That 03 is not a bad way to go either I just cant stand that whine..N/A-n20 is my gig..

If I go 2v and the way I'm going to build the motor and the car it will be a solid 11sec NA car and then it will get a 200shot on top of that.
2005GTskip
¯
Member # 4885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2005GTskip  Ford pictures for 2005GTskip    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
I have a short block that i mite sell with cp flat tops manley rods cobra crank built by h.c.i still on the stand.. I want to go a little crazier. As for a stroker motor they are okay f/s guys are making 370 rwhp on a .20 over motor and stock heads and intake with stock stroke. I have not many strokers beat that..Also fastest mod car in the world is a 4.6.. Big bore's make decent power they unshroud the valve and let the heads flow a little better...When building a mod motor remember compression is your friend. Why not do a 4v swap ??

hey how much do u want for the short block and what is the compression.thanks Chris.

--------------------
2005 Gt

Posts: 294 | From: Discovery bay,California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  :
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Short block is a .030 over teksid aluminum block with C.P custom pistons manley h beams and a cobra crank. Heads are ported B heads off a 98 cobra I would like to sell as a long block heads are for sale in the fir sale section... I would like 4600 for the short block plus heads...

--------------------
408 986 8626

SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
just build it up and boost it or send some juice to it. There are many 2v's in the ten's. 500+ is not hard to get on a 2v either. It's easier with a cobra but a built 2valve with a some boost can make 5-600hp easy. Modular depot has many guys in that area. Many go with VT engines. I would only trust them for crate engines and HCI like others said.
Posts: 1766 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
2005GTskip
¯
Member # 4885

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2005GTskip  Ford pictures for 2005GTskip    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
so $4600 with heads.. [Confused] how much with out them and whats the comp..?thanks..

--------------------
2005 Gt

Posts: 294 | From: Discovery bay,California | Registered: Sep 2004  |  :
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Skip Give me a call 408 569 1969 I can make a good deal on the short block alone...

--------------------
408 986 8626

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Mark,
Sell the car.
With a buddy like me building these things for a living, you'd be a fool to NOT have me build your motor.

Attention to detail is everything.

[ March 10, 2005, 10:44 PM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
bunchmyfunky
CAFords Drag Racing Mod
Member # 360

quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Mark,
Sell the car.
With a buddy like me building these things for a living, you'd be a fool to NOT have me build your motor.

Attention to detail is everything.

Which is it sell it or have you build it? I'll be calling you.
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

Have Shaun build you a 4v setup [patriot] [patriot] Or even a high comp 2v would be nice F WIW our J.S.R test car went 11.4 @ 118 with our first prototyped intake cant wait to see what it does with the 20 rwhp we gained over the first. That was on the older 96-98 B heads and a stock long block; valve cover has never been lifted. . If you do consider doing the 4v swap I recommend doing the C head setup it is worth 15-20 rwhp gain over the b headed set up. I am not a fan of the stroker motors myself I don’t see anyone breaking record’s with anything other than 4.6’s.. But I am sure the guys at H.C.I can take care of you..

--------------------
408 986 8626

93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The simple truth is the $$$ that it'll take to get a GT up to snuff with an 03/04 Cobra would be just about enough to buy a used Cobra outright. Plus, the Cobra will retain it's value much better then a GT ever will.
It really comes down to what you want. Do you want an N/A GT that moves pretty damn good for what it's got, or do you want a factory boosted Cobra with all the creature comforts?

As for mail-order motors....
I know the cost of parts to build a stroker modular. With the price X2C & others sell their shortblocks the ONLY way they can make any money on the deal is to do 2 things. First is sell a LOT of motors. This means an assembly line type build....bust out as many as you can as fast as you can. Second is buy the cheapest parts you can get away with.
With that in mind, nobody is perfect....every shop will make a mistake from time to time. Obviously attention to detail goes a LONG way in catching any errors. What would you do if you found that during assembly your mail-order motor had an oil ring roll-over? Your motor would burn excessive amounts of oil. You'd have to first call up & convince them that they made a mistake......AFTER you had a qualified mechanic pull down the motor to find out exactly what went wrong (which is not free). You'd then be forced to either 1. ship your motor back to the builder, or 2. have a local shop fix the problem, pay the local shop, then fight to get some $$$ back from the original builder.

I've been working at HCI for a year now....in that time we've built about 25 motors. Out of those 25 motors, 5 car came in with hurt fully forged motors with very low miles from either other local shops, or mail order. All 5 had 'issues' during the build that were not caught. That's 20% of the motors we've built this last year. Those customers paid a much higher price in the end.

If you lived down the street from a company like X2C, CHP, DSS, etc, hell, why not buy one of thier motors. If someting goes wrong you can drive the car right into their shop & have it checked out.

Your best bet for quality is to go with a local shop that backs up their work & has a record that proves it. The higher up-front cost goes a LONG way if anything ever goes wrong.

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
89point
¯
Member # 5412

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 89point  Ford pictures for 89point    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what about chp for a 5.0 motor how are they thanks,nick
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

I have heard there pushrod stuff is good. I would not use probe pistons though, I have read about alot of piston failure with these however those mite have been built buy other shops not c.h.p...

--------------------
408 986 8626

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Here's a complete 4v 98 w/ EEC in Petaluma.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33615&item=7961013598&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

eljefe
¯
Member # 1753

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for eljefe  Ford pictures for eljefe  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
whilewere on the discussion of 4v stuff, what is a set of 03-04 cobra heads worth..i might have a line on some, i just dont know how much the guy wants or they are worth.

but mark..i'd say either get a 03-04 cobra, or do a 4v built swap. i dont care much for the 2v's after eric kept blowing spark plugs through the head of his s/c 2v setup in the roush

--------------------
1969 mustang coupe - the project
1996 mystic cobra - 13.64@105 - sold :(
2007 yaris - daily driver

Posts: 737 | From: holiday in rancho cambodia | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
-NORCALCOBRA-
¯
Member # 2383

You can find them anywhere from 500-1200+ they are hard to get they are probably the best head you can get for a 4.6 4v so not many people are selling them unless they are parting out used aviator motors. Be careful when selecting, some of the early heads had the tick not to familiar with the tick but from what I heard it is from insufficient cooling around the exhaust valves. I have two sets of 03 heads one set is ported which I mite be getting rid of, if I decide to go with the 00R/05 ford gt heads...

--------------------
408 986 8626

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com