Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » HELP PlEASE

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: HELP PlEASE
Marcus
¯
Member # 2387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcus  Ford pictures for Marcus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
a COUPLE OF DAYS AGO MY CAR WOULD START SO I TOOK THE BATTERY TO PEPBOYS AND GOT IT TESTED AND IT SAID IT WAS GOOD. aFTER A LIL CHARGE. HEN I WNET BACK PUT IT IN AND THE CAR STARTED. tODAY I WENT OUT TO START IT AND IT WOULD TURN OVER. i TOOK THE BATTERY AND ONCE AGAIN IT WAS GOOD. i TRY TO START IT ONCE AND THE BATTERY DIES. tHEN I WAIT LIKE 30 MINS AND IT GAINS A LITTLE JUICE BUT AFTER ONE TRY IT DIES AGAIN.

COULD IT BE MY STARTER, STARTER SOLENOID,ALTERNATOR

--------------------
R.I.P "B"

Posts: 161 | From: union city | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
All those caps have got me confused! Let me see if I got this:

You cannot start the car
Your battery doesn't hold a charge
And you named the 3 most common things to check

Well, does the car try to start but just keep cranking? Or does it do absolutely nothing when you turn the key? Does it try to turn over and then slooooowly die? Does it slowly try to turn over?

Most of these symptoms are of a bad battery. I would suggest you check your grounds, check the battery BEFORE you try to start the car and then check it WHILE you are cranking the motor. More often than not, if your battery sucks ass, it will show 14.4 volts (or close to it like 12) but when you crank the motor the battery will show around 2 or 3. Sometimes nothing.

Correct me if I am wrong but your car would start fine if your alternator was bad but it wouldn't charge the battery. And your car would never start if you had a bad solenoid.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like your alternator is done........

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how do your battery cable look, and how tight do you have them on the battery? loose battery cables / bad connection to them will do exactly what you describe.

kragen sells replacement cable ends that are $1.50 a pair and very easy to install, simply cut off the old connectors from your battery cables and strip the ends, then the new ones bolt onto the ends of that, no soldering needed and they work great.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
take the two bolts off and go get your alternator checked and get a new one. Simple as that.....

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldn't trust Pep Boys...I say it's the battery, but your post is very hard to read...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Marcus
¯
Member # 2387

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Marcus  Ford pictures for Marcus    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sorry about the caps well it goes kluck kluck kluck but hella fast. Eventually te light in the spedometer thing die and the battery dies. After 30 or so minutes of rest it gains a little juice but dies right when i try to click it over. Now if the alternator is bad will the car start still?? or no. Can the solenoid possible kill the battery??? Thtnx for the post everyone

--------------------
R.I.P "B"

Posts: 161 | From: union city | Registered: Jan 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

jump start the car, if it will run until you shut it off and not start again, go the alternator route.

--------------------

Jdub07
( O Y O )
Member # 2728

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jdub07  Ford pictures for Jdub07    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just replace the alternator, battery and starter. Prolly needs it anyway. I doubt its the starter though.
1992gtdrop
unregistered

Ford Icon 1 posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
alternator [patriot]
:
Cstang5.0
¯
Member # 4925

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cstang5.0  Ford pictures for Cstang5.0    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i say battery i had the same problem with mine i had it tested and they said it was good i charged it and it would die i got a new battery and it fine now

--------------------
88 VERT slow sold
89 coupe stock ; )
02 yukon
05 focus

jaybquick
¯
Member # 4286

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jaybquick  Ford pictures for jaybquick  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1992gtdrop:
alternator [patriot]

third or fourth that, or something like that. If so your battery is probably permanently damaged too, replace both as to not eat up your new alternator.

--------------------
91 Mustang GT ET: 11.92@115
66 Mustang ET: 11.43@119
01 Audi S4 ET: 10.8@131
05 Audi S4 ET: 11.9@116
08 Audi S5 ET: 11.9@118

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com