Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » suggestion on headers.. (Page 1)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: suggestion on headers..
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay i have a 97GT, and i have a BBK off road H-Pipe with a flowmaster exhaust setup..one thing missing..HEADERS!! any suggestions on what brand to get??

FMS
BBK
DYNOMAX
JBA CAT FORWARD

those are the only brand i can think of..they range from $$250-$$600, what would you guys suggest?

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 06, 2006, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blue97GT  Ford pictures for Blue97GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
okay heres another question..

should i look into more performance stuff other than what my sig says??

or should i focus on suspension?? (upper/lower ca's, sub frames, and anything else i can find)

whats a good idea?

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't waste your time on headers on your 4.6...

Save for the PI heads and atleast get some full length MM or Global west subs...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB

[ November 06, 2006, 01:56 AM: Message edited by: season'd 88 ]

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

the tires i have are only the stock 245's (kumho ecstas) i have a 17x9 rim...i was gonna go with some 275 DR's that i might pick up from someone. would that be okay?? i know theres not a whole lot i can do to a 97GT but i can make the best of it since if i dont sell it i will keep it..i still make payments on it (only 1yr left) so i kinda have a budget..so any suggestions are good.
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
1 5/8" FRPP headers is what the 98 SLUG has [Big Grin] if you go with headers make sure you invest in some Stage 8 locking header bolts so the header bolts wont back out!

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I dont think that you will see the hp gain you want with headers, personally i think there are better places to spend the money. What are your goals with the car?

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
03SVTPower
CAFords OG
Member # 518

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 03SVTPower  Ford pictures for 03SVTPower    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
he plans on swaping heads, so if he has the heads off why not throw some headers on there.

--------------------
2003 Redfire "AED" Cobra R.I.P

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by BlackNGold:
Don't waste your time on headers on your 4.6...

Save for the PI heads and atleast get some full length MM or Global west subs...

Why does everyone always suggest save for PI heads. Do some reading and realise on a 96-98 motor a set of Ported non-pi heads outflow a set of ported PI heads on our blocks. If you weren't planning to do any work to the heads, fine swap. But it seema like a waste of cash, especially since he would also have to buy a new intake. It smart and money to back it, port non pi heads, get new cams, and go with some decent headers. If he has money to get new mid pipe, go long tubes. If not, then looks like the FMS headers are they way to go. If you do long tubes, look into the hooker headers.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

cool thanks guys..hey jon...guess this means ill look into those non pi's you got [Big Grin] . BTW, how much is it to port some non pi heads?? oh yea i jus plan to do a head swap (to ported non pi heads) headers, and little here and theres [Wink] .
forced331
¯
Member # 1270

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for forced331  Ford pictures for forced331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You cannot go wrong with JBA's or Motorsports, both quality headers, JBA being the best, but expensive.

--------------------
1992 Ford Mustang LX (Original Owner)"Titanium Frost" 331stroker S-Trim, 5spd

2014 Ford Mustang GT- daily driver

Posts: 1154 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: May 2002  |  :
ONEBAD383STROKER
¯
Member # 4965

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for ONEBAD383STROKER  Ford pictures for ONEBAD383STROKER    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
[Confused]

[ October 24, 2004, 02:13 AM: Message edited by: ONEBAD383STROKER ]

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

what is wrong with the new 4.6 BBK headers??
they are 299.99 on brothers performance and 289.99 on summitracing..

BBK Headers

99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well what are you really looking to get out of your car?

why do people suggest PI heads, couse its the cheapest way to go, I now you have maybe read here or their on nonPI being better,
But if that was the case why are the 2 valve raceing cars running PI instead of NON PI, makes no sence right, if nonPI flow better you would figure every one would be putting NON PI ported heads on 2valve motors, but its not the case.
Show me some one with ported nonpi heads runing low 11's,10's hell 9's
their non,

I now you want to go faster, I would not even suggest a blower for your car, You have the same problem we all have, we want to go fast but with out spending a tons of cash LOL good luck

if your goin to buy headders and go through the trouble of doing this swap, Long tubes would get you more power,

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Posts: 2558 | From: SAN JOSE CA | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 99gt-UJSTLST  Ford pictures for 99gt-UJSTLST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by forced331:
You cannot go wrong with JBA's or Motorsports, both quality headers, JBA being the best, but expensive.

well I would disagree with you on that,

at least on the 4.6l engines, JBA suck ass, I have installed a few of this headders only to have them CRACK, Sure JBA will warraty their product but do you really want to do the labor over and over, especially on a 4.6l where header swap is a nightmare.

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

why is a header swap on a 4.6 a nightmare???
NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Blue97GT:

ive done it 4 times and its a bitch to do, but i learned from the first install how to do it easier and quicker. there is no room to work with,the exaust ports are on a 45 degree angle under the head and u cant see what your doing,
but ive done this swap buy pulling the motor and put the headers on the motor and then installing at once and it took me about 6 hours for the entire install.

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

so..how much would you charge to put some in for me??
Blue97GT
Member # 4241

found some long tubes w/ catted H for 400..is this a good deal????
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

quote:
Originally posted by 4.6 EATIN GM'S:
quote:

ive done it 4 times and its a bitch to do, but i learned from the first install how to do it easier and quicker. there is no room to work with,the exaust ports are on a 45 degree angle under the head and u cant see what your doing,
but ive done this swap buy pulling the motor and put the headers on the motor and then installing at once and it took me about 6 hours for the entire install.

yea thats the best way I found if lift the motor, some people have done it while the motor is in place but fuck all that, no way unless u have a k-member

6 hours for the headders the shit hell of sucks, id like to say 6 hours but when its said done it about 8-10 hours, thats why shops charge 800+ to do the swap

personaly I dont think its worth it, if your trowing some heads or doing a Pi motor coo
telling you NOS the bitch

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 99gt-UJSTLST:
quote:
Originally posted by 4.6 EATIN GM'S:
quote:

yea thats the best way I found if lift the motor, some people have done it while the motor is in place but fuck all that, no way unless u have a k-member

6 hours for the headders the shit hell of sucks, id like to say 6 hours but when its said done it about 8-10 hours, thats why shops charge 800+ to do the swap

personaly I dont think its worth it, if your trowing some heads or doing a Pi motor coo
telling you NOS the bitch

i remember when i was about to install the motor for the 1st time i asked if u could give a hand and u said yeah, but then i was like fuck it and did it my self. the 1st time was a bitch but the 2nd time was a breeze cuz u figure out whats easiest to do.
i have the hooker long tubes and the driver side header comes in peices so what i did the second time is i pulled the steering shaft out kept the header in one piece and welded it together,so no air leaks,but if i decide to sell the headers i will go down and buty a new steering shaft.

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
99gt-UJSTLST
¯
Member # 584

BAssani mid lenghts
now thouse are a bitch LOL

they wrap around the steering shaft, I had to install some man i tell you that was hard but,
when the head gasket blew on that car and I had to swap the gasket out
Holy crap thats all I have to say, couse you cant lift the motor since the headders wraps on the steering shaft talk about a job LOL, removeing and installing the heads LOL fucken shit that was the heardest thing I have had to do.

I have done this crap somemany times on my own car not to mention othere peoples and it nevers seems easy, it goes fast but fuck for reals talk about some work for headders lol

--------------------
SOUTH BAY STANGS
MINOR BOLT ON'S

www.southbaystangs.com

Blue97GT
Member # 4241

so is the 400 bucks a deal for some BBK long tubes and matchin catted h-pipe? btw, would that pass smog since the h is catted?? LMK guys
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
longtubes will never pass visual smog.

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com