Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What Do You Think Of This Combo?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What Do You Think Of This Combo?
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
5.0 306ci
Forged Rods
Forged Pistons
Stock Crank
Stock Cam
Main Girdle
TFS Twisted Wedge Heads
GT-40 Intake
CraneCams 1.7 Rockers
BBK Underdrive Pullies
Vortech V-2 SQ supercharger @ 10psi
75mm Throttle Body & Spacer
80mm Mass Air Meter
24lb Injectors
Long Tube Headers
Off-Road X Pipe
MAC Cat-Back

This will be run with no smog, no a/c, no power-steering. I'm thinking it should hit about 450 - 475 flywheelhorsepower. Between 380 - 400rwhp.

Should be good for low 12s in a 3400lb car.
What do you guys think?

[ September 02, 2004, 10:18 PM: Message edited by: MustangNate ]

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Retard your cam 4 degrees, select pistons for about 8.5 to 1 compression, throw 14psi at it. Good head gaskets and ARP head bolts.

[patriot] [burnout]

--------------------
'92 LX T5
Looked stock, went 11's 11.90 at 115mph.

'65 Mustang 347

www.fordmuscle.com

Livin' in the Carolina Pines

NvrGoFullRetard
CAFords OG
Member # 1633

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for NvrGoFullRetard  Ford pictures for NvrGoFullRetard  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
Retard your cam 4 degrees, select pistons for about 8.5 to 1 compression, throw 14psi at it. Good head gaskets and ARP head bolts.

[patriot] [burnout]

what he said [Wink]

--------------------
"formally 4.6 eatin gm's"
white 97gt n/a 320rwhp/325rwtq
01 sierra rcsb lsx 408 (murdered out)
03 ecsb sierra 6.0 on 22's
2011 Tahoe

Posts: 2759 | From: PITTSBURG/FAIRFIELD | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put an f-cam in it and get bigger injectors

--------------------
You must be fast, cause I was haullin ass when I passed you.

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for white1990stang  Ford pictures for white1990stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you also might want to switch back to stock pullys

--------------------

AJBlackGT
¯
Member # 3936

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AJBlackGT  Ford pictures for AJBlackGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yep, I would say 36lb injectors and a big fuel pump, and also look into a cam.

--------------------
90 Notch

Posts: 1896 | From: Sacramento | Registered: Dec 2003  |  :
MustangNate
¯
Member # 4559

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MustangNate  Ford pictures for MustangNate    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Did some thinking, read what you guys said. I want this thing to be a good streetable car but powerful enough to hang with the Cobra/Vette guys.

So I re-did the list a little, let me know what you guy think of it now. Thanks for all the replies. [Smile]

Stock 87-89 5.0 Short Block
Trick Flow Stage 1 Cam
Main Girdle
TFS Twisted Wedge Heads
GT-40 Intake
Vortech V-2 SQ supercharger @ 12psi
75mm Throttle Body & Spacer
80mm Mass Air Meter
36# Injectors
255lph in-tank & in-line pumps
Aeromotive Billet Fuel Rails
Aeromotive Adjustable Regulator
MSD Ignition
Long Tube Headers
Off-Road X Pipe
MAC Cat-Back

I decided that maybe the Trick Flow cam would be better than a Ford cam because the Ford cams are a single pattern cam where-as the Trick Flow is a dual pattern. The Trick Flow has about 10* more duration on the exhaust side which I think may be best for a supercharger, correct me if I'm wrong.

I was also thinking of going with a Kenne Bell roots blower over the Vortech supercharger, a few reasons is because with the Kenne Bell you don't have to tap the oil pan, they look cooler, and everyone & their mother doesn't have one.

I was also thinking of using GT40X heads instead of the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge, I know that thw TFS heads flow much much better but I heard that you have to fly cut your pistons, correct me if I'm wrong here also.

I changed to a stock 87-89 5.0 block cause I thought I could probably find most of these parts used for a decent price, I already have the exhaust and ignition. High 11/Low 12 second daily driver budget muscle machine? I hope so. [Smile]

--------------------
1989 Mustang LX Vert, 5.0 Auto

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Then get a Vortech Sc- self-contained. The Vortech will be much faster than the KB.
PunkINa5.SLOW
¯
Member # 10

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PunkINa5.SLOW  Ford pictures for PunkINa5.SLOW    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I wouldnt bother with the main girdle. JMO

--------------------
OUTTA THA DRAMA

R.I.P. MIKE STARKEY MY BABY BROTHER
12/8/77-5/17/03

white1990stang
¯
Member # 2307

You wont have to cut your pistons for those heads. maybe look into the tfs high ports?

--------------------

a50sn95
¯
Member # 527

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for a50sn95  Ford pictures for a50sn95    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
Then get a Vortech Sc- self-contained. The Vortech will be much faster than the KB.

Is this new? I thought ATI was the only Self-Contained Blower. (Unless you count the Powerdyne belt driven).

The Twisted Wedgies generally DON'T need fly-cutting, but you should ALWAYS clay it just in case.
I wouldn't call the TFS Stage 1 Cam the best for the job. Custom cam would be best. The best thing about the TFS cam is that it's cheap.

The GT40 intake is probably not my choice either.
Can maybe support your desired HP, but others are better (and less expensive). It does LOOK cool, though..
Most here will say Edelbrock, but I like the TFS stuff. The Street Heat is also about the cheapest you can get, and the Track Heat is still very well priced. The Holley is usually the winner in dyno flogs, though, and priced accordingly...

The Kenne-Bell looks cool (to some), but runs out of breath at the top. It'll make lots of power down low, but you can't put it down, so....

Is there a budget or something that is making these choices?

(Like mine being all parts have E.O. Numbers...)

Because if not, have you considered a 351 based shortblock, AFR 205 or TFS-R heads, and the appropriate intake?
Much calmer, and stronger motor, that can make upwards of about 500 flywheel without the supercharger, and still go in a Fox...
Probably less money if you're buying the Vortech new, too...
Oh, and there are kits for 460's....
Dennis

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com