Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » 331 stroker

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: 331 stroker
Blowfish
¯
Member # 4043

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blowfish  Ford pictures for Blowfish    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Im trying to decide if I should install a 331 stroker kit in my 91 roller block. What machine work needs to be done first. Please be specific Im a dumb ass. Thanks

--------------------
All throttle...No bottle

Posts: 38 | From: Castro Valley | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You will need to:

Hot-tank + Magnaflux block
Bore .030 over + Hone cylinder walls
Align Hone Main Caps
Grind For Pushrod Clearance if using a stroker
Square & Zero-Deck block
Install Cam Bearings + Freeze Plugs

I may have forgot some other things. I would deburr the block myself with a dremel when you're done.

Don't forget to get your internal assembly balanced with your flywheel/balancer that you plan to use. I would also use a girdle.

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Grind for pushrod clearence? Don't you mean Connecting Rod? I am in the final stages of getting my 331 togther right now. I used the H beam Rods and you do have to notch the bottom of the cyl bores in about the 5 o'clock position(looking at the bottom of each cyl from the crankcase area.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
not to mention verifying ring gap clearances, main and rod bearing clearances, piston/bore clearance, crank 'trueness', crankshaft 'play', cam 'play', and probably a half dozen things I'm forgetting in the rotating assembly.

I realize 'blueprinting' isn't a free procedure but hey it's probably why some 331's run great for 10k miles and then blow up into a oil slick [Razz]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Blowfish
¯
Member # 4043

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blowfish  Ford pictures for Blowfish    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
OK guys , I get most of this stuff , I have built engines before just never a Ford. I like the deburring idea and wonder about the H beam rods and notching the cyl. bottom, is there another solution , maybe different rods ? Also squaring and decking the block is done to the head mating surface of the block eh ? or does it concern more ? Now the hard part , Who sells the best 331 kit I have a new E cam and 1.7 roller rockers in the box but need all the pistons rings rods crank bearings etc. Ive seen kits from $500 up to about $800 gimme names and numbers please

--------------------
All throttle...No bottle

88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 2stangs69-91:
Grind for pushrod clearence? Don't you mean Connecting Rod?

Yes, sorry I used an incorrect term.

Blowfish - Forget that e-cam because it was engineered for 302's. Realize that you will have an extra 29 cubes that will need adequate valve timing and flow to compensate for the increase stroke. You could keep those 1.7 RR's should they be shaft-mount style.

I forgot to include blueprinting/plastigauging of all the bearing/rings since Blowfish asked what work is needed from the machine shop "first". I would get a forged kits w/moly ring (or total seal if you have $200+ for rings). As for what kit, I would look at only big engine builders such as Keith Craft, D.S.S, Bennet, etc. There are horror/success stories with all the builders you basically you are rolling the dice if you aren't looking at some people's feedback in the bay area. Don't forget about shipping of the internals as well, they be heavy.

hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawaii5.0  Ford pictures for hawaii5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
When you stroke a 302 into a 331 is it smog legal after that? Can you put the original smog related stuff back on the block and will it work?

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

Posts: 757 | From: here and there | Registered: Jul 2004  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by hawaii5.0:
When you stroke a 302 into a 331 is it smog legal after that? Can you put the original smog related stuff back on the block and will it work?

YES [Wink]
hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hawaii5.0  Ford pictures for hawaii5.0  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how much does it cost to stroke a 302 into a 331?

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
anywhere from maybe $600-$700 to over $6k, how fast do you want to go/spend [Razz]

--------------------

hawaii5.0
¯
Member # 4675

I see stroker kits going for like $1,300. I was wondering, if you buy the stroker kit is there anything else do you need to do to the block or is it just a matter of installing all the parts that you got with the kit?

--------------------
91LX (sold)
93 cobra #3279

2stangs69-91
¯
Member # 1951

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 2stangs69-91  Ford pictures for 2stangs69-91    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you don't knotch the block the rod end will notch it for you. Thats just the facts doesn't matter if you want to do it or not. It is very simple to do and causes no problems.

--------------------
69 Mustang on hold
1991 LX hatch getting a make over
1994 F150 4X4 351
2006 Yamaha V-max 1200 Modded

Blowfish
¯
Member # 4043

What about balancing ? Will I keep my 50 oz. flexplate and 50 oz counterb. or switch to 28 oz flexplate and 28 oz. counterb. What determines the amount of balance I use. What if I build a 306 and use a 28 oz. balancing act. Would it spin faster or fly apart ?

--------------------
All throttle...No bottle

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JoeT:
anywhere from maybe $600-$700 to over $6k, how fast do you want to go/spend [Razz]

[Eek!] what machine shop do you go to??

if you just wanted to bore/hone/notch bottom of cylinders to clear for the 331, thats only 300$ and that includes hot tank. [patriot] balance is only 125$. these prices are straight from Robs Auto Machine in Hayward. they do EXCELLENT work!!!! [patriot]

[ July 19, 2004, 05:24 PM: Message edited by: stoauto ]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

if the bores were good, (no re-bore needed), a 302 could become a 327 (same stroke as a 331) for about $600-$700 using the cheapest possible chinese rotating assembly, assuming the builder installed it themselves.

--------------------

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

quote:
if the bores were good, (no re-bore needed), a 302 could become a 327 (same stroke as a 331) for about $600-$700 using the cheapest possible chinese rotating assembly, assuming the builder installed it themselves.

ok ok..... i thought you meant something else. sounds good. [patriot]
S4OSHUS
¯
Member # 2918

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for S4OSHUS  Ford pictures for S4OSHUS    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
using the 28oz or the 50oz is gonna depend on the kit you buy. i know most of the eagle kits out there that are strokers usually only balances to 28oz unless your machine shop wants to balance it to 50oz wich means they'll have to take alot of material off your crank. it's really up to you.

--------------------
2001 audi s4 avant stage 3. 460 whp e85
2001 audi S4 stage 3 sold!
91 lx 347 sold!
90 lx notchback sold!
99 cobra sold!

twisted54
¯
Member # 1981

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for twisted54  Ford pictures for twisted54  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
how much does it cost to stroke a 302 into a 331?

It was $4200.00 for me at Johnson Racing in Sac.

--------------------
2013 Black on Black 5.0 with Boost N Things - CORN FED 🌽

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
shit, between spending the money to stroke a stock 302, why not spend the same amount of money for a stroked 351?

a stock 351 block is superior in more than ways than 1 to a 302 block.

you can still find 351 blocks in wrecked cars and there are a million crate motors around. that are super inexpensive.
Keith Craft, for example, sells their 331 Stroker Plus for $2895. Their 408 Stroker plus is $3095. The difference is less than California sales tax for the 331.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

not everyone wants to buy the 351 swap parts such as drop motor mounts, conversion oil pan, 351 distributor, probably another hood will be needed, and not to mention you've added around 80#s to the nose of the vehicle.

I personally think that's a small sacrifice to pay for say a nice 408/427 from a 351, but not everyone will feel the same.

--------------------

chosen1
¯
Member # 1906

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for chosen1  Ford pictures for chosen1    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
not everyone wants to buy the 351 swap parts such as drop motor mounts, conversion oil pan, 351 distributor, probably another hood will be needed, and not to mention you've added around 80#s to the nose of the vehicle.

I personally think that's a small sacrifice to pay for say a nice 408/427 from a 351, but not everyone will feel the same.

understood. my point however (i guess i wasnt that clear) is that between spending for an aftermark 302 block or building a stroked 351 using a stock block, id rather have the extra cubes.

--------------------
1967 Fastback. Should go 10's -but doesn't
1993 Cobra
2003 Suzuki SVS
1966 Coupe -For Sale

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

me too, forgot to add that your stock engine accessories (PS, alt, AC, etc) should work, but I think you just have to score the accessory brackets in the junkyard from an F-250 or something like that with a 351.

--------------------

Blowfish
¯
Member # 4043

Wow ! Thanks for all the opinions. I think after hearing all the things I can do , I think Im going to rebearing everything and throw a set of 306 slugs in and call it better than before. There are to many other issues involved in a stroker, and remember this is an aod trans so Im going to want to stuff an upgraded stall in there and that could be another big expense even if I go cheap on it. I will be upgrading my rotating assy , new E cam , rollers and heads so with any luck it should be an improvement. Thanks again

--------------------
All throttle...No bottle

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com