Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Odd Issue...Please Read

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Odd Issue...Please Read
Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Something odd is happening with my car, ever since I swapped in a new set of stock Motorcraft Double platinum plugs...I didn't change the wires 'cause I figured they'd be okay...

When I first fired it, it had a misfire that set a code...I reset it, and it seemed to run okay, but then, it would start acting like it was misfiring *slightly* above 3000 rpm under load...not totally misfiring, but enough that it vibrates noticibly under hard acceleration - deceleration...

Anyone have an idea? Hopefully it's just a wire breaking down from the increased voltage from firing new plugs...

It didn't happen with the old plugs, either.

Help!

Nick

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

Posts: 167 | From: Lafayette, California | Registered: Feb 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
hate to say it, platinum plugs=crap. I'm sure some cars can run with them, but nothing I've ever owned except for my wife's Infiniti.

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

FasterDamnit
Bad Attitude
Member # 442

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for FasterDamnit  Ford pictures for FasterDamnit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Don't be cheap.

Tune-up= Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, PCV valve, air filter. Prolly forgot something.

With the ignition system just doing one part is begging for problems...

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would LOSE the platinum plugs and just toss in a set of Autolites and new wires. Your problem resides in one of the two most likely. Get a fresh start.

Platinum is just a waste of money on your car and double platinum is a waste of DOUBLE THE MONEY.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Teddy Tiger  Ford pictures for Teddy Tiger    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yah, I ditched the platinums for something different already, yesterday, still have the same problem.

Hopefully when we throw it on the 'scope monday at School, we'll see if it's a wire that's breaking down..I *really* hope it's that, and not mechanical with that engine.

Nick

--------------------
2008 Mustang GT 'Premium'
Vista Blue Metallic
Interior Upgrade, Comfort Group
Charcoal Leather Interior
Shaker 500 Stereo

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i would just buy new wires anyway, like said above, dont be cheap.
Teddy Tiger
¯
Member # 2473

quote:
Originally posted by FasterDamnit:
Don't be cheap.

Tune-up= Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, fuel filter, PCV valve, air filter. Prolly forgot something.

With the ignition system just doing one part is begging for problems...

4.6 with Coilpacks, no cap / rotor...fuel filter had been changed too not too long ago, air filter is a K&N...gonna have them put it on a Five-Gas too, see if it's fuel related.

Nick

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 13 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Speaking with the experiences dating back to the old 'Splitfire' spark plugs, I'd say go to ford and get the plugs called for by the factory- all the platinum, rhodium, unobtainium, and 'spend-more-money-um' plugs out there lead to nothing but trouble!!! Near as I can tell, the factory boys tune the ignition set up to a particular plug's resistance- standard plugs have a different resistance than the 'Gee wow' plugs.
Start with a plug swap to good quality stock plugs and see what happens- and don't forget to return the platinum pieces of crap for a refund!

P.S. the tech magazines have been recommending to resistance test all your plugs with a DVOM (Multi meter)- the new OBD II cars are starting to have misfire codes due to resistance variance in the plugs!! make sure the plugs are all within @ 5% of each other-

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com