Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help with problem after cam/head install.

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with problem after cam/head install.
CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hi Guys,

Here is the deal. I jus had trickflow heads and a trickflow stage 1 cam installed in my car. I do have it idling okay now (anything lower than 900rpm and the car will die ), but now under load and under 3000rpm the car is simply undriveable. It will sputter and miss and generally be like poopoo trying to drive.
At anything above 3000rpm the car feels fine.

The autologic chip was removed and there was no difference in behavior with it on or off.(chip was tuned with the stock cam and I was hoping that it would be at least driveable somewhat with the current chip). Do you have any suggestions other than getting a retuned chip. The idle set perfect..the tps set perfect...and the timing set perfect.

What should I look for? Any ideas? One of the guys told me to change the IAC valve over to '93 style...what do you guys think?

Thanks for any information.

[ May 05, 2004, 06:51 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2011 Porsche 911 TurboS/AWD
2014 GSXR750
2002 GSXR750 Track Beater Bike
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Posts: 1016 | From: California, Bay Area | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have somewhat the same problem. If you're under 3k, you can't just stab the pedal and expect to go anywhere. You have to ease into the throttle.

My car idles much better than yours though. Mine sits at between 600 and 800, but it surges sometimes.

I never really put much thought into it though because I've never had the car tuned. I just figured it would sort itself out once the fuel curve is adjusted.

[ May 05, 2004, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: The Nick ]

--------------------
Fast, Cheap or Reliable. Pick two and live with it.

Posts: 1215 | From: The Delta | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
jph331
¯
Member # 665

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for jph331  Ford pictures for jph331    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I worked on a car recently that had those same systems. Problem ended up being the mass air flow sensor.

Also was everything double checked during installation. Timing chain marks, correct length push rods, rockers adjusted correctly, timing set to 14 with out your chip.

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for CobramanPhil  Ford pictures for CobramanPhil    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Everything was double checked. I've come to the realization that this cam/head combo just doesn't go with the 94-95 cobra computer. I have timing set at the stock 10 (chip was tuned with it at that setting). Any ideas on how much a tune costs these days (the the availability of a tune???). Someone said they were all booked up until the end of time... [Frown]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
did you use the right spark plugs? what gap? maybe you have a bad spark plug or one isnt on all the way

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

Yup. The plugs were quadruple checked before I placed them in the heads....

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by jph331:
I worked on a car recently that had those same systems. Problem ended up being the mass air flow sensor.

Also was everything double checked during installation. Timing chain marks, correct length push rods, rockers adjusted correctly, timing set to 14 with out your chip.

Yeah, what MAF are you runnin?...The increase in air flow could mean that the MAF is out of calibration...

Disconnect the IAC and see if it runs better...Sheldon at Big Boy Racing told me the same thing about the 94-95 IAC... [patriot]

[ May 06, 2004, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like a vacuum leak. in a properly tuned EFI car even with a decent cam, you should be able to punch it from 900 rpms and just go.
The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Nick  Ford pictures for The Nick    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ya know, I just remembered that it didn't do this until I converted the car from speed density to mass air. So I guess my problem could be the MAF. I bought a stock MAF off a CaFords member and used it with a C&L 76mm kit. I wonder if the MAF is bad...
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sn 95 5.0's have a real hard time with aftermarket cams, especially a cam with less than 114 degrees lobe seperation (I think your cam has a 112 lobe). You may have to convert to a fox style computer(a A9l or A3m) as the sn 95 computers are extremely sensitive. Pro-m sells a harness were you can run a 89-93 style computer and maf for less than $300. Call Pro-m, they'll tell you all about why sn95's run like shit with aftermarket cams, good luck [patriot]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by The Nick:
Ya know, I just remembered that it didn't do this until I converted the car from speed density to mass air. So I guess my problem could be the MAF. I bought a stock MAF off a CaFords member and used it with a C&L 76mm kit. I wonder if the MAF is bad...

Didn't you buy the Mass Air off me? If so, I can GUARANTEE that the mass air worked.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

The Nick
¯
Member # 2244

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Didn't you buy the Mass Air off me? If so, I can GUARANTEE that the mass air worked.

No worries man. I wasn't claiming that you sold me a bum MAF. I still think it might be the fact that the car has never been tuned, or maybe there's a vaccum leak somewhere, or maybe the MAF just needs to be cleaned. Its all good.

[patriot]

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

quote:
Disconnect the IAC and see if it runs better...Sheldon at Big Boy Racing told me the same thing about the 94-95 IAC...
Actually my car is at Sheldon's right now trying to get the thing to behave correctly. He attributes the funky behavior from the cam. I agree with him...which basically means a tuner is needed (already started researching the tweecer, but I am going to run the car for a month to see if there is any marked improvement after the cam/heads break in a bit.

[ May 06, 2004, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: CobramanPhil ]

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that cam shouldnt give you any driveability problems besides a bad idle, which can be fixed without a chip. it has to be something else

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

CobramanPhil
¯
Member # 2170

quote:
Originally posted by HungryHippo:
that cam shouldnt give you any driveability problems besides a bad idle, which can be fixed without a chip. it has to be something else

Tell that to that 94-95 cobra computer [Smile] It just won't behave. I contacted trickflow directly and they are telling me the same thing (112 lobe separation for the 94-95 cobra computer requires tuning). They suggested the steeda 19, which should be plug and play, but I already have the car buttoned up and if I can get this tuned it will make more power with the tf stage #1 as compared to the steeda #19 cam.

--------------------
2013 Shelby GT500
2014 GSXR750
2016 Explorer Unlimted

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com