Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » What size headers?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: What size headers?
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
O.K. This is yet another ? in regards to the 331 I am having built. A buddy of mine has a set of 1 5/8 bbk longtubes for sale. I was wondering if I should get those or go with 1 3/4 lontubes instead? My combo will be ported edelbrock heads and intake possibly a X cam 24lb injectors and all the usual boltons.
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're staying NA, then 1 5/8 is cool, but don't get BBK...BBK quality sucks...Check out the port size of the header compared to your heads and you'll see another reason not to buy them...

Which Edelbrock heads are you going to be running?...What is the rest of your exhaust composed of?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
If you're staying NA, then 1 5/8 is cool, but don't get BBK...BBK quality sucks...Check out the port size of the header compared to your heads and you'll see another reason not to buy them...

Which Edelbrock heads are you going to be running?...What is the rest of your exhaust composed of?...

quite a few people on here seem to say that BBK headers along with there TBs suck. why is this? do BBK headers suck simply because of the port size? and why do there TBs suck? with BBK headers, i've had the damn one piece flanges warp on me! then they never seal! but why else? and with there TBs, i've had good luck. Please Black94 5.0, educate me. [Big Grin] [patriot] thanks!
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 91 5.0 5speed  Ford pictures for 91 5.0 5speed    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

I have edelbrock 6037 heads which will be ported. I was going with lontubes a uncatted h pipe going through flowmaster mufflers. What would be a good header to get if not BBK that will not be super expensive
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no such thing as a good header that is not super expensive.

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by stoauto:
quote:

quite a few people on here seem to say that BBK headers along with there TBs suck. why is this? do BBK headers suck simply because of the port size? and why do there TBs suck? with BBK headers, i've had the damn one piece flanges warp on me! then they never seal! but why else? and with there TBs, i've had good luck. Please Black94 5.0, educate me. [Big Grin] [patriot] thanks!
Some throttle bodies weeze, the pullies warp, their intake looks like shit, and their overall quality control lacks. [patriot]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:

It's just the quality control on their parts...

TB?...Ok, I had a 70mm on my 94, the throttle return spring was way stiffer than it needed to be...The 2 throttle plate screw on my TB were also shipped LOOSE!!!!...I had to use LocTite and hammer the ends just to meke sure they wouldn't come out...TRY2PAZ bought a BBK TB and I "tried" to install it for him, but it was only when I figured out that the WHOLE throttle plate and linkage was installed upsidedown and backwards!...Talk about quality control issues!!...

Headers?...Because the welds that connect the pipe to the flange on the BBK headers are so big and crappy, there is just enough for bolt clearance...The size of the header port is about (width wise) the same as stock heads, which suck!...My only set of BBK headers that I had on my 94 would change shape everytime I unbolted them...The headers had a horrible fit and would tend to blow gaskets fequently...

Since you only asked about BBK headers and TB I wont go into detail about their other crappy products... [Big Grin] [patriot]

--------------------

stoauto
¯
Member # 2803

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stoauto  Ford pictures for stoauto    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
quote:
quote:

TB?...Ok, I had a 70mm on my 94, the throttle return spring was way stiffer than it needed to be...The 2 throttle plate screw on my TB were also shipped LOOSE!!!!...I had to use LocTite and hammer the ends just to meke sure they wouldn't come out...TRY2PAZ bought a BBK TB and I "tried" to install it for him, but it was only when I figured out that the WHOLE throttle plate and linkage was installed upsidedown and backwards!...Talk about quality control issues!!...

Headers?...Because the welds that connect the pipe to the flange on the BBK headers are so big and crappy, there is just enough for bolt clearance...The size of the header port is about (width wise) the same as stock heads, which suck!...My only set of BBK headers that I had on my 94 would change shape everytime I unbolted them...The headers had a horrible fit and would tend to blow gaskets fequently...

Since you only asked about BBK headers and TB I wont go into detail about their other crappy products... [Big Grin] [patriot]

right on thanks man, i'll definately be sure not to buy there sh*t anymore. who do you prefer? thanks again!!! [patriot]
91 5.0 5speed
¯
Member # 1867

quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

right on thanks man, i'll definately be sure not to buy there sh*t anymore. who do you prefer? thanks again!!! [patriot]
Same ? so who makes a quality Header
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Bassani make a LT header that would work great with your combo...It's a, I forget what they called it, I think it's staggerd [Confused] ...Anyway, the Bassani LT's go into a 1 5/8" then into a 1 3/4 primaries...

Call Apex and see if they have them... [patriot]

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

The Part number is #5092R for the 1 5/8 to 1 3/4" LT's...If you want them ceramic coated, it's #5092RC [patriot]

[ May 06, 2004, 03:23 PM: Message edited by: Black94 5.0 ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com