Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » what should I do???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: what should I do???
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just installed some FRPP cobra valve covers on my 95 cobra( the finned ones that are smog legal). Now, the oil fill is closer to the middle on these covers than stock, so the throttle body comes in contact with the filler neck. Now, I want to keep this thing smog legal (my wife drives it)and my only choices for valve covers are these or stock ones(blahhhh), not to mention I spent countless hours painting and polishing these covers, plus the tall polished ones from summit would cost $70 + $50 to punch a hole and another $30 for a breather. Should I: A, cut the filler neck and weld it so it shorter; B, cut the neck in half and use a section of hose to route it out of the way; or C, convert to a fox body style throttle body set up??? I would like to do method C, but that is time consuming and costly(fox throttle cable and bracket and fox TB+EGR=$300++, don't forget electronics!), but I hear it's good for blown cars to convert to that style. Being caught up in the many projects that I do and most of my money going towards my Fox(yeah, almost $40K!!!), I would like to spend the least amount of time and money, so A or B?? Mtbaughs, I know you have done conversions like this to SN95 5.0's(convert to Fox TB set up), besides the throttle cable and bracket and some splicing of wires, is there more involved?? Should I just do A or B?? I do plan to put a blower on this at some point but not anytime soon. Opinions and advice please, most likely going to do B, but would like input, thanks guys, Alan.

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
maybe try to bend the filler tube. stick a pipe in there and bend it away

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmmm cheapest and easiest. Well if you mock this up right it can come out looking good. You can also not just shorten height but angle the filler tube away from the TB at the same time. Determine exactly how you want the filler tube to sit. Use ink marks to position the tube so the welder knows the exact positioning. I would than suggest having a pro throw his best Tig welds on it as these will be the smallest cleanest beads. So total cost to you would be your time in mocking it up and maybe paying a GOOD welder for 10 minutes of his time. This is one of those things I would really need to see to make my best suggestion but without seeing it this is what I suggest

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the hose idea would look ghetto. All the conversions I did were on a fox body style manifold with a taller hood present to clear the taller manifold. Can't say if the fox body style would give you the clearance you need with an sn-95 manifold. Just need a visual of where things are at

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

If you go the welding route make sure the welder covers all the valve cover with leather or some other material to keep the sparks from hitting the cover while welding.

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I agree with Mike, it'll look best if it was cut ans welded...But, I don't think "Plan B" is a bad idea...It would certainly be cost effective and totally functional...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm using a Holley systemax with a 1 inch spacer, polished elbow and TB. I was talking about converting to a fox style, straight shot style instead of using the elbow which is fucking me up. I will probably cut it and use some hose for now since this is not a show car and it is my wife's weekend car(though I find myself drivnin it most of the time), which means I won't really be popping the hood for anyone. zI probably will cut it though so it can be welded at an angle when I feel like doing that. I do have a MIG welder, but you guys are right and TIG would be better, anyone know a good TIG welder in the east bay???

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com