Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Tech Help Please

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Tech Help Please
Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Cobra  Ford pictures for Ms. Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have a 98 cobra that I just bought. Already in two days I have been finding problems with the car. My first problem is that the previous owner lowered the car an inch with a eibach pro kit and didnt install camber caster plates or rack bushings with it. Is it absolutely necessary that those things be installed to the car? I hear that the tires wear out faster if those arent put in as well [Confused] Second problem is that my gas gauge was working fine last night and some time from last night to today, after I filled it up with gas, it stopped working. At least I think it stopped working because after 60 miles of driving it hasnt moved an inch [Confused] How do i fix these issues? Help please!!!
Posts: 1208 | From: East Bay Area | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
While the CC plates are good to have, as long as the alignment is in spec, tire wear shouldn't be affected.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

166 Merlo
FELONY
MOTORSPORTS
Member # 1549

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 166 Merlo  Ford pictures for 166 Merlo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
put another 60 miles on the car, and if the fuel gauge still doesn't work...

It'll work just put some more miles on it [patriot]

[ May 02, 2004, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: 87 Saleen ]

--------------------
'89 - Boss Coupe
'70 - Drop Cutthang
'68 - Cougnut
'87 - 0166, Its real

Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ms. Cobra  Ford pictures for Ms. Cobra    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 87 Saleen:
put another 60 miles on the car, and if the fuel gauge still doesn't work...

It'll work just put some more miles on it [patriot]

hehehe i know that the gas gauge question might have sounded lame but i swear that I didnt think cobras got that great of gas mileage and when the needle didnt budge......i thought for sure it must be broken...yea im going to take it for another spin in a sec to check it out again...if it seems to not be moving STILL then ill think its a problem [patriot]
slidewayz94
CAFords OG
Member # 3101

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for slidewayz94  Ford pictures for slidewayz94    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
CC plates aren't needed for only a 1'' drop. I'd just be more concerned that when it was lowered that they had it realigned. If unsure have it done.

The needle on my gas stank stays at full till around 50 miles then starts dropping down.

65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
well if your fuel gauge is not woking that really sucks because you will have to get a new fuel pump because it is all one unit at least for gt's. good luck
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Basically what happens when you lower the car is you alter the plane of the tie rod ends. Normally with the weight on the car it is a pretty flat plane at stock height. At lowered height and uncorrected you've now taken the flat plane and raised the tie rod ends up which will produce excessive bumpsteer. Basically this means when you hit a bump in the road the car will pull toward the bump. Offset rack bushings are a band aid fix as not every car sits at the same height and all offset rack bushings position the rack in the same place. This being so it isn't perfect on most cars. Offset rack bushings make it closer to spec than doing nothing but the right way to fix this is to run a bumpsteer kit and have the bumpsteer set by a qualified shop. The offset rack bushings do the job well enough for street use.

[ May 02, 2004, 11:41 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, forget the cheap fix(rack bushings) and go with a bump steer kit, like the one from steeda or griggs. You will be much happier, but you should have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing with that stuff..........like mtbaughs [patriot]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by vpr_klr:
Yeah, forget the cheap fix(rack bushings) and go with a bump steer kit, like the one from steeda or griggs. You will be much happier, but you should have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing with that stuff..........like mtbaughs [patriot]

Thanks bud, well the bumpsteer kit is the correct method for fixing this issue. The down side to doing it right for most is the cost. Usually $100-$125 for the bumpsteer kit. This isn't the high end as at least custom alignment in mountain view wants $500 to set the bumpsteer. Again this is the way to achieve perfection but one can get close enough with the rack bushings for most apps. It's mainly a tool used for cars needing perfection such as track based cars.

[ May 03, 2004, 07:15 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
racercosmo
¯
Member # 1864

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for racercosmo  Ford pictures for racercosmo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Lowering a car in itself does not cuase a bumpsteer issue, having the tie rods follow a different arc than the control arm causes an issue. If the wheel doesn't toe in or out in a 2" up or down movement, then lowering the car 1" won't affect the bumpsteer unless there becomes a serious problem at more than 1" of jounce.
Caster has more of an effect than ride height.

--------------------
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

Ms. Cobra
Cafords Event Mod
Member # 1587

thanks guys....i will probably not put on camber castor plates seeing as how i believe everyone is telling me that at a one inch drop its not necessary...im probably going to go with a wheel alignment because it pulls alittle to the right at times....as for the bumpsteer kit we'll see if i feel any more problems with the car [patriot]

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com