Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Adjusting new ped mnt rr's questions

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Adjusting new ped mnt rr's questions
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
So, the cylinder that I am working on has to be at tdc? Also, are they just torqed down once I am on the right cylinder? If it is on #1tdc, can't I just go throught the firing order? I dunna know, I could just be all wrong. [Confused] I have the destructions that came with them, they are very general and the image appears to be a chevy engine? [patriot]

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
btw, they are the crane aluminum 1.7 roller rockers with the ford logo on em'

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok heres the way I set rockers. One thing that helps a lot is if you have a remote starter to spin the motor. Basically what I so is set up all the roller rockers on the motor with the bolts tight enough to show the position of the rocker and the valves. Than starting with the first cylinder spin the motor till one valve is completely open. Slowly tap the remote starter until the rocker stops pushing the valve down. When you reach a point where the rocker is neither moving down or on its way back up you know the valve is completely open. At this point adjust the opposite rocker as you know the valve on this rocker is fully closed. Your going to want to tighten it down to where there is zero lash. This meaning there is no gap from the lifter through the pushrod into the rocker. A good method here is to tighten down until you cannot spin the pushrod than back it off just a hair. At this point I turn the bolt 3/4 to 7/8 of a turn to set the proper pre-load. If you get more turns than that you need to add a shim under the pedestal. If you get less than 3/4's of a turn here you need to have the pedestals machined down some, this is uncommon but does happen. I than adjust the rest of the rockers the same as the first two I just mentioned. There is a way to do multiple rocker sets at a time but I like to do one cylinder at a time to really get a feel for how things are set. Hope this helps and good luck

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just a note, theres many methods in doing this as I mentioned. I have done it this way for a long time now and have never had a set of rockers rattle or make noise upon fire up.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com