Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Smog test question?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Smog test question?
SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was planning on buying a car out of state but has long tube headers and a catted shorty hpipe. It is 2000 SC saleen and wondering if it would pass the visual smog test? Any info appreciated.
Johnny

Posts: 1766 | From: San Francisco, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Nope a car with long tubes will fail a visual inspection unless the smog tech doesn't see them on the car which is unlikely these days.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SEMPERFI510  Ford pictures for SEMPERFI510    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Damn are you serious. I don't know if I want to go through the trouble of taking them off to pass smog. I wonder if there is any cool smog stations who are not that anal?
thanks
johnny

Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
they are all anal. no EO#, no smog

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There out there yes but finding one through word of mouth isn't all that easy because of the fines associated with getting nailed. If you want to get the car I would be happy to swap in a smog legal set up for ya. I've delt with many people recently who have been nailed for illegal exhaust. It's a nasty situation because the car most likely gets either impounded and sent to a ref station after or fines can range up to $2500 for something as stupid as an off road exhaust depending on how nice the cop is feeling that day. The very least is a fix it ticket which is rare these days since smog has become such a big issue. You could always use this as a bargaining point in lowering the cost of the car but be it that it is out of state the seller may have other offers from people who don't care so much

--------------------

SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

How much for a smog legal exhaust? I could probably sell the longtubes and shorty hpipe on the car now?
joHNNY

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Depends on what you end up going with. I don't have a price off the top of my head for fms shorty headers and a bassani cat pipe. While the bassani pipe may pass the sniffer it doesn't always pass the visual because you are supposed to have 4 cats and not two.

--------------------

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
if he still has the stock h,you should have him sent it with the car, let mtbaughs switch out the headers with shorties and hook up the stock h for the smog, and buy an offroad h or x and after smog swap that(very easy and not really time consuming)...if he doesnt have the stock h, im sure someone on here will let you borrow it!
im sure you can see the longtubes and shorty h pretty fast and for a decent price

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

quote:
Originally posted by Sicc98GT:
if he still has the stock h,you should have him sent it with the car, let mtbaughs switch out the headers with shorties and hook up the stock h for the smog, and buy an offroad h or x and after smog swap that(very easy and not really time consuming)...if he doesnt have the stock h, im sure someone on here will let you borrow it!
im sure you can see the longtubes and shorty h pretty fast and for a decent price

That's probably what I will end up doing. Is there any longtubes that will pass? He does have the stock h for the car.
Johnny

[ April 29, 2004, 07:17 PM: Message edited by: SEMPERFI510 ]

Sicc98GT
¯
Member # 1862

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sicc98GT  Ford pictures for Sicc98GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by SEMPERFI510:
quote:
Originally posted by Sicc98GT:

That's probably what I will end up doing. Is there any longtubes that will pass? He does have the stock h for the car.
Johnny

long tubes wont pass

--------------------
Black 98 GT - sold
05 trd off road tacoma

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Nope only some shorty headers have a carb #.
SEMPERFI510
¯
Member # 627

cool thanks for all the info.
Johnny

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com