Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car dying on startup

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car dying on startup
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
In my 89 Bronco II (not a 302, but it shouldn't matter) whenever I start the car up, it wants to die unless I give it some gas. The car is fuel injected also by the way. This happens without fail now, regardless of how warm or cold the engine is. Other than that the car runs fine, so I'm not sure what it is or where to start looking for problems. The engine was replaced and only has about 15-20k on it, so it is relatively new. Any ideas?

Also, other than a bad guage or sending unit, what would cause my oil pressure to fluctuate during driving? Can old oil actually affect pressure if it gets too thick?

Posts: 1482 | From: Santa Clara/Bay area | Registered: Nov 2001  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'd start by checking the fuel pressure before you start the engine and while cranking it..If you're lucky it could just be a clogged fuel filter...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88gt  Ford pictures for 88gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds good, i'll check that out. In the mean time, do you think if I primed the pump for a little bit it might help?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Um no, becuase you say it starts but then wants to die, right?...I'm assumming by primming you mean turn the key to the on postition and listen to the fuel pump before you start the engine, right?...

The fuel pump is probably building enough pressure to start the car, but not to keep it running....

When was the last time you did a tune up?....

--------------------

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

My brother had the car for the last few years and I knw he did at least the plugs and wires, but I doubt the fuel filter was touched.

The car idles fine though, that's why I asked about priming it. I'll try it tonight and see what happens and then I'll check the filter when I get some more time, maybe this weekend.

88gt
Custom
Member # 579

Update: Priming the the pump does work. Does that mean it is the fuel filter for sure?
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Go to Kragen and buy a fuel filter and while you're there pick up a fuel pressure gauge... [Big Grin] [Razz]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com