Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » new b303, 4deg. adv ,ret. ,orstraightup?

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: new b303, 4deg. adv ,ret. ,orstraightup?
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I am installing a new cam in used motor. It already has gt40 irons in addition to usual ex ternal bolt ons. I have an edel brock timing chain that allows for ad justments for 4 deg./3 key ways on the bottom sprock et. How will either of these change the character istics of perfor mance? I need recomen da tions here cause once it is done, its done.

--------------------
Sf Bay Area

Posts: 2171 | From: Sampan San Francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
By changing the degree on the cam you're basically changing your power band...

If you advance a cam you get the power in at an earlier rpm, and if you retard the cam the power comes on at a higher rpm...

The crank keyway notch, timing gears and chain, and cam, are all manufactured with machining tolerances...These tolerances can add together to install your cam in quite a different location than it was designed to...Using a modern replacement timing chain set, you can adjust any inconsistencies to install the cam exactly where it was designed to go...That's why the different keyways and offset keys are there...Some guys even install a cam with 2 deg advance just to allow for timing chain stretch...

Hopefully 93 pony can add to this post... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Tryin2GoFast
¯
Member # 3166

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tryin2GoFast  Ford pictures for Tryin2GoFast    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had a b-303 in an auto with 3.55 gears and i had it installed straight up. The power kicked in around 4000 and pulled all the way to 6200 where i was shifting. Car was totalled last week, my luck, but if i were to do it again i would advance the cam slightly. Dont get me wrong the power up top was incredible and gears would have helped the low end. But when it comes down to it, i think i needed the power about 500 rpms earlier. No one try to flame me, If advancing the cam brings the power in at a lower rpm, i would have went back and done it for sure and that is based on personal experience.

--------------------
89 Notchback with H/C/I Totaled 5/04
90 Black LX Hatch 310/330 AFR/Perfromer/FTI Gettin sydways in a lane near you!

Posts: 278 | From: Fremont, Ca | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you want to see the actual differences in how the cam is set up I would run the car profile through the program desktop dyno. It will show you the power band based on the way the cam is installed. It's a very helpful program and very close to what the car will actually do as I have compared many car profiles I did on desktop dyno to what I actually saw on the dynojet. As far as the b cam goes I can't say for certain because I never chose that cam for any motors I did. I always ran the E cam on a street motor and always ran it 2 degree's retarded. With the E cam retarding it always brought the power on sooner and running it straight up or advanced always brought the power on later just to give you an idea but because they are two different cams I would expect different results

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
93PONY
Mr. Valve Events
Member # 60

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 93PONY  Ford pictures for 93PONY        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Edelbrock timing chains are NOT very accurate at all. In fact, most of the 3 keyway timing chains are not accurate. I've not run into one that was. All that I have worked with have had some amount of advance built into the chain. The only timing chains I've run accross that HAVE been accurate are stock, FMS 9-keyway, & the 9-keyway rollmaster.

Given this, your motor combo, & the camshaft I'd install the cam on the 4-retard keyway.

There is more to cam timing then shifting the power band up or down. Intake/Exhaust reversion comes into play....this is often left out of the mix, but is crucial to take into consideration for making low-end torque.

*edit* The cam already comes 5 degrees advanced from Ford. Advancing it further would be a mistake & could have piston to valve issues aside from performance issues.

[ April 29, 2004, 09:03 AM: Message edited by: 93PONY ]

--------------------
www.advancedenginedevelopment.com
SCT dealer
Dynotuning

(916)715-7569

Posts: 4265 | From: Fair Oaks, CA | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
SlowStockFox
Stock Fox
Member # 1081

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for SlowStockFox  Ford pictures for SlowStockFox  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 93PONY:
Edelbrock timing chains are NOT very accurate at all. In fact, most of the 3 keyway timing chains are not accurate. I've not run into one that was. All that I have worked with have had some amount of advance built into the chain. The only timing chains I've run accross that HAVE been accurate are stock, FMS 9-keyway, & the 9-keyway rollmaster.

Given this, your motor combo, & the camshaft I'd install the cam on the 4-retard keyway.

There is more to cam timing then shifting the power band up or down. Intake/Exhaust reversion comes into play....this is often left out of the mix, but is crucial to take into consideration for making low-end torque.

*edit* The cam already comes 5 degrees advanced from Ford. Advancing it further would be a mistake & could have piston to valve issues aside from performance issues.

one day i will know that [Big Grin]

93pony is cam Ho [patriot] lol

--------------------
i walk around....dont drink and drive

gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for gercolla1  Ford pictures for gercolla1  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

4deg. [patriot] ret. it shall be.
gercolla1
¯
Member # 3068

quote:

4deg. [patriot] ret. it shall be.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com