Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » new motor problem

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: new motor problem
Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have a project 87 5.0. i got a motor from a lincoln i believe. its still a 302...with about 20k on it. this is what i have installed on it right now. bbk cold air intake, 75mm MAF, 65mm throttle body, 65mm spacer, stock intake but ported to felpro gasket upper and lower, heads have been ported to a felpro gasket, 24lbs injectors, comp cams valve springs retainers and locks, crower cam with 498 intake 512 exhaust with 222 duration intake 228 duration at 50. fms shorties, bbk underdrive pullies, electric fan, o/r h pipe, msd coil, msd cap and rotor, fms 9mm wires, ngk plugs. when i run the car, it seems fine, but the right side headers wont heat up like the left side. we ran it for 5 min. after that we can place and leave our hands on the right header. the left was hot as usual. what is going on!?!

[ April 27, 2004, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Norgs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02
R.I.P. Mike 12-2-03 cant believe it. gonna miss u man!!

Posts: 1031 | From: Tempe...formally San Ramon | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Norgs
¯
Member # 649

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Norgs  Ford pictures for Norgs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
o ya...and an A/C delete kit

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hows the motor idle and run? Any missing or poping noises? Does it rev all the way up smoothly?

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Norgs
¯
Member # 649

it seems to idle fine. no popping. i didnt rev it just because i dont know what is going on. ill try that tomorrow. but idle is good

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02

65 custom
¯
Member # 3173

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 65 custom  Ford pictures for 65 custom    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you could try with the car on idleing you can pull a few of the spark plug wires one at a time for that time if the idle does not change or you can usally hear it do it with the left first rev for up when you hook it back up if it is working. pull an injecter for that side see if gettting fuel and check spark. good luck
Posts: 128 | From: mountian view | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is the air injection valve sticking open? try to block it off, or disable it and check the temps- a stuck valve will shoot COLD air in there and cause your problem- other than that, if it's idling o.k., you've got a ghost!! [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

street_illegal_stang
¯
Member # 1554

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for street_illegal_stang  Ford pictures for street_illegal_stang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you changed the firing order?lincoin non ho [Confused]
Posts: 1276 | From: Long Beach C.A | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by street_illegal_stang:
you changed the firing order?lincoin non ho [Confused]

No this motor was from a mark vii never abused. [Smile]

It is an HO.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
does the motor have any compression on the side that you can hold the header on comfortably when it's running?

edit: could be in the heads, as in valves too tight that never actually seal and hold compression

[ April 28, 2004, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: shade- ]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would go with the smog valves as possibly causing the issue but in this I would expect both sides to be affected as the valves draw air from the egr on both sides of the motor if I am not mistaken. Unless say there is a restriction on the one side and not one on the side heating up normally. This could also be the issue addressed above where the valves are adjusted wrong on the one side of the motor. How did you adjust them? I like to see 3/4 to 7/8 of a turn pre-load. Make sure you are running the correct spark plugs as well.

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Also I'd hook a computer up and watch how the O2's are switching. The side that is cold could have a faulty O2

--------------------

Norgs
¯
Member # 649

motor has compression, fuel, and spark. i felt the spark on one of them so i know its there. the idle changed when pulling the wires. that was the first thing i did when i happened last week.

--------------------
R.I.P. Miles 12/8/02

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com