Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Wondering about Temp...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Wondering about Temp...
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't have aftermarket gauges, so I have to rely on the stock gauge in the cluster for the time being.

On the stock gauge, wondering what other people are running. I realize the stock gauge is more or less an estimation of temp. but I was curious to see what other people on this board are running at. On a relatively stock vehicle (currently using 180 degree thermostat), should I be concerned that the needle is usually between M and A on the gauge? (The sensor should be accurate as it has been recently replaced.)

N
O
R
M
A <--- The gauge [Big Grin]
L

Thanks for the help. [patriot]

[ April 27, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: graylx ]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I too have a 180* thermo and my readings are always slightly above the L.

N
O
R
M
A
L <Gauge reads just above here

So your thermo is either not working properly or something else in your cooling system is malfunctioning. You should NOT be anywhere near the R. And if you do the crude math... The R is around 210*. Your runnin' hot if your gauge is correct.

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
Quick 88LX
¯
Member # 1950

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quick 88LX  Ford pictures for Quick 88LX  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You changed the readings on me dude! No you should be fine now. Your temp is perfect

--------------------
"Men are Made, Not Born"
Car Picture : http://www.angelfire.com/theforce/quick88lx/
Original Member #495. Can I get my number back?

Posts: 1784 | From: Fairfield, CA/Okinawa, Japan | Registered: Oct 2002  |  :
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sorry...the arrow was just to point out my carefully crafted piece of art. [Big Grin] LOL. No, but it is running between M and A on Normal. You think that should be alright?

Was thinking of changing draining the system and replacing with a mixture of (roughly) 15-20% of antifreeze, 75% water, and a bottle of Water Wetter. But if I am okay, I would rather leave my car alone for a day or two and drink a beer.

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com