Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Car won;t start, ABS light is on

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Car won;t start, ABS light is on
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_yates78  Ford pictures for j_yates78    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok yesterday i thought it would be fun to take a little drive up page mill road in PA and take a few curves. so i am on my way down the hill and the ABS light comes on. then i hear this horrible noise for about 10 seconds while the car is started. turn the car off the noise starts. few moments later the noise goes away, and the light goes off. then the oddest thing happened, the electrical system all turned off and came back on it seemed to me like a power surge of some kind. so i pull into a gas station to check things out and now the car won;t start, unless push started. I checked the starter relay and it was fine, the fuses seem to be fine. i am lost. thanks for any help.

car won;t start
ABS light is still on.

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

Posts: 148 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is your battery dead? How many volts does it read?

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, if you have to push start the car it does sound like a bad battery...If it's not the battery, check the cables...

The horrible noise, did it feel like the ABS comming on?...Could you feel it in the brake pedal?...Is your brake fluid low at all?...

I'd check the battery and then run the codes to find out about the ABS... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
j_yates78
¯
Member # 1791

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for j_yates78  Ford pictures for j_yates78    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I had the battery checked last night and it read was a good battery, I am not sure on the voltage/amps. I rented the scanner from Auto Zone and it came back as no codes read. As for the brakes they felt normal, but the noise was occuring if i was applying the brakes or not. almost like a belt, the noise increased with rpms. But it went off, and has not come back. I was hoping it 3was a fuse or replay, but i replaced the starter relay and it still didn;t start. When i go to start the car it simply will not start, no clicking or any noises. Just dead. the car has electrical power, since the radio will still come on.

thanks for you help, any other ideas or places to check?

--------------------
99 Cobra HCI/Vortech
Koni Yellows
Griggs Subs
Eibach Springs
MM C/C plates
4.10's

Posts: 148 | From: Santa Clara | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
starter?
also, your alternator could be suspect as well, not charging your battery at all.
its odd that you didnt get any codes from the computer considering you have an ABS light on... check and make sure you dont have any loose lines/ busted lines.
good luck

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Is there a chip on the computer? Also with your year I've seen the need for an extra engine ground before as the stock ones are sometimes insuffient. To test this run a jumper cable from the motor to the body. Place the cable on a solid metal connection point on each end. Sounds stupid but I saw this once before where the battery and all systems checked out and we couldn't figure out why the damn car wouldn't start. Ran the extra ground and it fired right up. Just an easy thing to try.

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

The scanner from auto zone will not scan anti lock as this is a seperate system from OBDII. To scan this you must have different software and plug in to the anti lock harness under the hood.

[ April 26, 2004, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com