Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » my car doesnt start......

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: my car doesnt start......
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have one of those clifford two way paging alarms with the auto starter. and my car starts right up with the remote, but it hardly ever starts with the key, i has gotten worse, it used to do it every once in a while, and progressed to where it is now. starting it up with the remote, every time. any advice?
Posts: 776 | From: Santa Cruz y Menlo Park | Registered: Mar 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Yeah, take it back to who ever installed the alarm...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hope you didn't have goodguys or bestbuy install it and even worse afgan nosehamed.

Take it back and tell them.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
afgan nosehamed does some clean ass work bro. Don't be h8ing LoL

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Fostang
¯
Member # 3752

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fostang  Ford pictures for Fostang    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
afgan nosehamed does some clean ass work bro. Don't be h8ing LoL

Yeah if your ride is a highmilage camel.

--------------------
67' Fastback TT 408
67' Camaro Lsx
64' Corvette Fuelie
57' Chevy Bel Air Lsx
68’ Pony Convertible
66’ Pony Coupe

Posts: 3011 | From: Stockton/Danville | Registered: Nov 2003  |  :
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hey Menlo, did the starting problem begin after the alarm install, or was it already there?

If the car starts all the time with the remote, the problem is in either the ignition switch(if you were already having problems) or the 'ignition cut out relay' , it is a relay that splices into the ignition switch wiring.

I've seen ignition swithces go bad before. not too bad to replace, its in the column behind the key cylinder.

If youre still not sure, have an alarm guy 'jumper wire' or 'bypass' the ignition cutout relay and see if it helps.

Let me know if I helped out- [Wink]

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
FYI- the ignition switch is not behind the lock assembly. It is mounted about a third of the way down the column, right-hand side.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for menlo pony  Ford pictures for menlo pony    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by JohnB:
FYI- the ignition switch is not behind the lock assembly. It is mounted about a third of the way down the column, right-hand side.

do you mean 1/3 of the way down towards the engine bay, or towards the floor. (on the column of course)
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Follow the column down from the wheel.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
yeah if this started when the alarm was installed its the alarm shops error to fix. If not that it has to be looked into for whats causing the problem

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Saint
¯
Member # 2746

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Saint  Ford pictures for Saint    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If it starts with the remote and not the key its probly not the alarm. id check the ignition switch becuase all the alarm is doing is shooting groud to the start wire. that means the problem is on the other side of the start kill rely. i install car alarms for ciruit city.
RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 7 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You see, that's what I'M talking about! Did you fix the problem yet menlo?

Let us know!

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

PurpleNotch
CAFords OG
Member # 2902

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PurpleNotch  Ford pictures for PurpleNotch    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Holy man sounds like a key switch situation because using the remote start totally bypasses the fact. key switch if you need it changed let me know ill slap a new one on for ya and peek at how clean the alarm is [Big Grin] but hey i didn't do the alarm [Frown] oh well let us know whats up. [patriot]

--------------------
**The creator of the infamous purplenotch**

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_0508_1988_ford_mustang_lx/index.html

RedBaron
¯
Member # 4361

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for RedBaron  Ford pictures for RedBaron    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
As I said previously, it's either the ignition switch (Thanks, Purplenotch!) or the 'starting cut out relay' supplied by the alarm manufacturer.

Either way, let us know! [patriot]

--------------------
1988 4i coupe,
88 gt
85 ttop-

menlo pony
still learnin'
Member # 4301

no, i have not fixed it yet, my car is back home, and im in santa cruz. i will take a look at it as soon as i get there though. its not a big prob. (as long as the battery in the remote doesnt die on me) but it gets annoying. esspecially in the mornigs when my car doesnt start on the first fire up.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com