Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » T -56 TRANY

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: T -56 TRANY
NAGAMAST10G
¯
Member # 2187

Ford Icon 5 posted      Profile for NAGAMAST10G  Ford pictures for NAGAMAST10G    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
HI, THE TRANY JUST WENT OUT ON MY 96 COBRA. WANTED TO KNOW IF I CAN GO WITH A T-56 6SPEED TRANY. YOU GUYS KNOW IF SOMEONE CAN PUT IN THE TRANNY FOR ME.. IS IT A LOT OF WORK AND EXPENSIVE. IS IT WORTH IT TO GO WITH A SIX SPEED... SEE IF YOU CAN EMAIL ME AT PRASADV@PAMF.ORG PRASADV@PAMF.ORG
Posts: 15 | From: EAST PALO ALTO | Registered: Dec 2002  |  :
DropTopFox
drama
Member # 1689

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for DropTopFox  Ford pictures for DropTopFox    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
There are 2 reasons for a t-56 really. If you road race at incredible speeds or if you need the gas mileage in the last gear that bad. It would also be very expensive because you'd need a new everything essentially. You need the T-56 itself, a new shifter, new clutch, new cross member, different(shorter) driveshaft. Also some people just like to say they have a 6-speed. If you plan on doing this plan on spending about $3000 in parts plus install will be pricey as well. Good luck [patriot]

--------------------
Go out and do something for yourself today everyone, quit depending on others

-Me
http://www.CaliforniaFords.com/cgi-bin/album.pl?album=00001689

Posts: 4003 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Aug 2002  |  :
cobra status
¯
Member # 571

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobra status  Ford pictures for cobra status    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You can get a kit here.

http://www.ddperformance.com/

--------------------
2001 Mineral Grey Cobra Coupe

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I don't see any reason for a tranny to have (2) overdrives. It's nice that the T-56 is pretty beefy though, but I'd probably save on size/weight and pick up one of those Tremec-TKO's that have the 500-600 ft/lbs. of torque handling capacity and the overdrive gear of your choice.

overdrive is *NOT* a racing gear for any application, period. It is tough to beat for mileage though. [patriot]

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com