Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » article on AFR-165 as a bolt on...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: article on AFR-165 as a bolt on...
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
that you guys probably would have missed...

in this months'
Ford Performance (Australia & New Zealand)
www.perfordmag.com

carbed, AFR-165 + 1.7 rockers + stock cam made 400 HP (car craft), engine dyno
clickie click
ok, on to the Aussie article

baseline: (5.0L EFI Falcon, AODE, factory GT-40P heads and the picture looks like a left-right reversed explorer aka GT-40 intake)
132 KW=177 rwhp, 15.69 @ 87.92 mph

added chip, cold air, pacemaker headers, full exhaust, and the 2600 stall and 3.90 gears
160 KW=214.5 rwhp, 14.92 @ 93.54 mph

no changes but AFR-165s and dyno tuning (new custom chip), 58cc AFR-165s (vs 62-64 cc GT-40P's pulled)
174.8 KW = 234.41 rwhp

added 1.72 rockers
180.8 KW = 242.46 rwhp
14.47 @ 96.34 mph

So interesting stuff. If you want any other details, I have the article in front of me (page 72)

Either the AFR-165 heads are worth 100 HP on a stock 302 HO shortblock with a carb and I think a Vic Jr. intake (Car Craft), or they're worth 20 rwhp and just under 3mph on a Aussie EFI that was previously equipped with the 'explorer' setup (GT-40P + GT-40 cast intake)

by the way... OMG the typhoon kicks ass. Yeah GM pretty much already claimed the name but PUHLEEZE bring this car over here (yeah it's ugly, but so is the EVO)

check it out:
inline 6, 4.0L DOHC turbo 4-door sedan that sort of looks like a previous gen maxima (say 99-02), makes 270 NM= 362 HP @ 5250 and makes 550 NM (405 ft/lbs)--- the highest engine torque of any engine ever built in australia

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:

by the way... OMG the typhoon kicks ass. Yeah GM pretty much already claimed the name but PUHLEEZE bring this car over here (yeah it's ugly, but so is the EVO)

It's actually called the "F6-Typhoon" and I believe it's still a concept car...

I'm still trying to figure out how to convert kilowatts to horsepower... [Confused]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
88DroptopGT
¯
Member # 2535

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 88DroptopGT  Ford pictures for 88DroptopGT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Wow, amazing results from those heads!

Very informative testing, but what I would really like to see for comparison of a stock short-block AFR 165 dyno results vs. ISKY'd AFR 185 short block with same mods/headers.

I wouldn't believe there would be any considerable HP to be gained in higher flow numbers on the intake, but I would just like to see dyno results during higher RPMs to see if it's worth the bigger valves (2.02/1.60). After all, the 185's are only $50 more on then the 165s on AFR's prices sheet.

I'm just weird. [Razz]

JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I think the easy answer is the AFR-185 will carry to your 327/331/342/347/351/357 project much better than the AFR-165's [Razz]

similar reasoning behind going to a TFS Hi-port...

I see AFR-185's going for about $1k used with low miles on the corral a lot now... hopefully not needing a valve job though.

I'm still surprised the AFR-185 with the in-line valves and 2.02 intake need fly-cut pistons whereas the TFS TW with the 2.02 intake typically do not for many street cams? weird.

edit: 1KW =0.746 HP

[ April 21, 2004, 09:22 AM: Message edited by: shade- ]

--------------------

Glenn
¯
Member # 520

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Glenn  Ford pictures for Glenn    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by shade-:
I'm still surprised the AFR-185 with the in-line valves and 2.02 intake need fly-cut pistons whereas the TFS TW with the 2.02 intake typically do not for many street cams? weird.

edit: 1KW =0.746 HP

Isn't that what the whole Twisted wedge design is???

--------------------
S-Trim,331,H/C/I
"JohnB groupie train"
My Car
DragGuam

Posts: 2009 | From: Stationed on a Pacific Island, Guam | Registered: Oct 2001  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

apples:apples, you can't run as aggressive a cam on stock pistons with the TFS head vs. an inline head.

people jump up and say you must fly-cut the pistons w/AFR-185s on a stock shortblock though. I don't know, I've never seen it myself so I can't say.

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com