Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Help with Power seat removal (1992)

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Help with Power seat removal (1992)
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I hear the power seat motor working, but the seat does not move forward or backward. I got the front bolts off, but the seat is all the way to the back so I cannot get to the rear bolts with a wrench of socket.

ANY HELP [Confused]

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You should be able to reach in there with an open ended wrench and losen the two bolts out.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by mtbaughs:
You should be able to reach in there with an open ended wrench and losen the two bolts out.

yea, dont wuss out, just get in there [dance]

hell, the seats I pulled out of my donor car I had to cut my hands to shit because of the broken glass everywhere under the seat from the busted out windows..

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:

"NOT" POSSIBLE.

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
Originally posted by blind:
quote:

yea, dont wuss out, just get in there [dance]

hell, the seats I pulled out of my donor car I had to cut my hands to shit because of the broken glass everywhere under the seat from the busted out windows..

Why don't you come on over here and show my how to not be a wuss [Roll Eyes]

Who's the fucking idiot that didn't vacuum up the glass before shoving your hands under the seats? [Roll Eyes]

These are "power" seats. They have a lot more that is in the damn way.

I'll just grab a sawzall tomorrow......

--------------------

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What happens when you try to push the seat foward while hitting the "power foward" control?....If you hear the motor it's possible that the gears are stripped and you could be able to manually slide it(with enough force)...

Have you tried fuckin with the bolts from underneath the car?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

LOL, I acutally sat in the backseat with my knees bent to hell (i'm 6'3, lol) and had my feet on the back rest of the drivers seat. I had a friend push the button and activate the motor in the forward motion while I pushed it forward with my legs and ended up quickly bending the back rest to the seat(junk anyway), but the darn thing didn't budge. The damn power track is hanging way over it and is extremely low.

I will see if I can toss two bolts on the stud in the morning and work it up that way in the morning. Didn't think about that, but I will sure give it a shot.

Looks like I will be heading to Sears in the morning for an "adjusting tool" aka a sawzall [Wink]

[ April 19, 2004, 10:29 PM: Message edited by: hidnn.o.s. ]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm confused how you cannot get the two bolts out from the rear? The seat mounts/sliders are at least 1.5 to 2" off the floor and the bolt heads stick up less than 1/2" I'm not trying to say you don't know what your doing I just hate to see ya buy a damn sawzall to take the two bolts out. Whatever works I guess but even with the seat in the farthest position back you can easily reach under it with a 15mm wrench and turn the bolts. I've done it hundreds of times. Maybe your seats are funky or something. Are the bolts just too tight or can you just not get to them?

--------------------

hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

I have had and worked on more than 20 stangs. Probably taken the seats out of each one. On EACH side of the bolt there is a lip from the bracket that is being bolted down so if I could get a wrench on it I couldn't turn it but 1/8 of an inch. It is in a current position where right now I cannot fit a wrench on it in either position. I tried using the reverse side that is round that fits over the bolt, but in the back the bracket comes down to close to the bolt that is not allowing it to go over the head.

Not even a possible chance of getting a socket/wrench in there [Frown]

--------------------

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I actually used one of those new ratcheting wrenches when I did my seat pulling. So even with the very small room to turn the nut I was able to get them off quick enough.

worth a shot.

[ April 20, 2004, 08:43 AM: Message edited by: blind ]

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Problem solved [Wink]

Thanks everyone [patriot]

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
Problem solved [Wink]

Thanks everyone [patriot]

What did ya do?
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

quote:
What did ya do?

Ya know when you spend many hours straight on a car and you get to one thing that just holds you up? I had spent a while on the motor and taking out all the interior and I just coulnd't see all angles clearly. When I started this morning I compared the round part on the 15mm racheting wrench to the standard wrench and realized that is why I didn't have room. The ratcheting one is 3 times as thick as the standard one. I used a standard one and then extended that with another one to give me leverage.

--------------------

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

quote:
Originally posted by hidnn.o.s.:
quote:
What did ya do?

Ya know when you spend many hours straight on a car and you get to one thing that just holds you up? I had spent a while on the motor and taking out all the interior and I just coulnd't see all angles clearly. When I started this morning I compared the round part on the 15mm racheting wrench to the standard wrench and realized that is why I didn't have room. The ratcheting one is 3 times as thick as the standard one. I used a standard one and then extended that with another one to give me leverage.
Sometimes when dealing with a pain in the ass problem it helps to get back to it after a break. Cool, glad you got it [patriot]

--------------------

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com