Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » When 500rwhp is just not enough........ (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: When 500rwhp is just not enough........
boilermaker
¯
Member # 4085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for boilermaker  Ford pictures for boilermaker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The 2v is just limited by its capacity to flow more air. The low end torque of the cobra is not just from the KB but from the 4v's breathing. BTW the KB is choice for instant boost but the boost curve is flat with increase intake temps as boost rises. Also, I've heard that its questionable the unit can handle the upper boost for the test of time. A Vortech,Novi with the right set-up might be better [Smile]
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm just curious what 600 or more rwhp will get you that 500 rwhp does not?

what is the application? drag? roadrace? autox? street only?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

boilermaker
¯
Member # 4085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for boilermaker  Ford pictures for boilermaker    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
road race/street. I'm looking for more low end to mid range thrust. As far as the 500 to 600rwhp advantage -Besides being a 100hp difference - Individually it comes down to a drivers comfort level. Some people would not safely know what to do with that power, others can apply it for benefit(if the car is built on the right platform) I just have more room to grow within my comfort level. My cars R&D department is on limited funds. I don't know if jumping into a KB blower on my 2V is going to solve what I am trying to achieve Or if the Cobra motor is the ultimate answer. Instant boost sounds mighty attractive but Do you think the KB will outperform my current Centrifugal blower in enough aspects to warrant the switch? I haven't dedicated this car to track-only status yet and still use it on the street very much. The benefit of increased power and torque mostly would be for exiting out of a corners on a road course - my favorite place to drive a car.

Is there anyone out there with a KB that has before used a Centrifugal type blower?

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I've driven both the centrifical and the KB style. Whether or not it's worth it to change one for the other it depends on what the person is looking to get from the car. It sounds like the KB blower is just what you are looking for. The extra grunt coming out of a turn on the track when RPM's are low. The KB will beat a centrifical hands down in this department because it'll be making more boost down low. A lot more. Most Vortech's really won't pull high boost till towards the top. The KB will pull high boost instantly with the right pulley. Just like an '03 does. You'll get a good amount back on your vortech kit through ebay if you decide to sell it. The difference between 500 and 600 horsepower in a mustang for the street or road race isn't really worth doing IMO unless your running slicks on the road course. Even the most equipped mustangs (i.e. full griggs, cage and whatnot) have enormous trouble planting the tires with anything over 500. A drag car is another story because of the slicks. If anything your looking at gains in the top of 3rd gear up. Anything below that and you fry the tires.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
JoeT
¯
Member # 298

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JoeT  Ford pictures for JoeT  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
what class do you currently race in? Don't they have rules on allowable HP/weight or do you race in a heads-up unlimited class? If so which one? American Iron?

--------------------
1984 Ford Tempo AOD--- RIP

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com