Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Need late model chevy help...

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Need late model chevy help...
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I was driving at 50mph, the truck suddenly just died, no abnormal sounds just died, I didn't notice it until I noticed that the throttle wasn't doing anything.

I have checked the following:
I am getting 60psi KOEO at the fuel rail
I am getting spark (verified by pulling plug wire and holding to ground)
spark plugs were wet and black, I replaced all of them with new autolites.
I did the diagnostic test on the fuel injector coil, and it is pulsing when engine cranks.
starter cranks, I'm getting fuel, I'm getting spark...but it wont start!!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Truck is a `97 vortec 4.3L V6 automatic GMC Sierra with 123k miles.

I realize this is the wrong place, but I will take any help I can get on this [Frown]

oh I forgot to mention there are no codes in the computer, but when hooked up to a tap it is giving data, I varified the TP sensor voltage using the tap on the computer...

--------------------
89 LX Notchback ex 4cyl, 14psi
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Posts: 8521 | From: Fairfield | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Sounds like you have an ignition problem somewhere. If the plugs are soaked than at one point in time your injectors were sending fuel and your ignition wasn't sending spark. I've seen spark at the wires when there is an issue with an ignition driver. I don't know what it is on a chevy. A module of some sort that says to the coil or coil pack fire this cylinder in this order according to engine postion. Maybe something along the lines of a cam position sensor or crank position sensor that maybe took a dump on ya. I'd verify that you are getting signals on those if they are present.
Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What's the fuel pressure when you crank the engine?....2 weeks ago I helped my friend with his 97 GMC 4.3 Vortec...It would register 60psi fuel pressure, then it would drop as soon as you try to start it...It turned out that the fuel pump pick up line was cracked in the tank and the pump wasn't giving enought fuel when needed....

I'd re-check the fuel delivery and spark output, because if the starter cranks and you have fuel and spark the engine should start....

The only thing left to assume is that your timming is off...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I'm curious what this ended up being. Let me know when you've got it figured

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blind  Ford pictures for Blind    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
fuel pressure while cranking is ~56psi...

I have a hunch, a few months ago I removed my MSD 6A from the truck because it did the SAME EXACT thing to me, the truck wouldn't start, it would try to catch and would sound like the timing was 180degree's off when cranking, I pulled the MSD and the problem went away...until now.

I'm going to hook an MSD back up to the truck tomorrow, I figured the MSD just went bad or something but I geuss not?

What controls the signal to the coil? The coil must be good because I am getting a strong spark, but maybe the spark timing is just way off?

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Blind
2.3L
CAFords OG
Member # 3052

truck runs again, it was the coil [Confused] [Confused]

Runs like shit though and is now throwing a code, I think the plugs I replaced with either the wrong gap was used or they are the wrong plugs.

--------------------
02 Harley F150, 15psi

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com