Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » "Check engine" after NITROUS installation

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: "Check engine" after NITROUS installation
Hater
¯
Member # 3085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hater  Ford pictures for Hater    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I went to pick up my car last week from the shop,,its a 2001 gt,,they installed a NX nitrous kit with all the goodies, purge, window, bottle heater, bottle opener etc,,well a few days after they installed it the "check engine" sudenly came on,,I was driving and stoped at a coffee shop and when I started the car again the light was on...I checked the codes and I have several emissions codes and codes for the fuel canister,,some times it smells a lot like burned fuel,,do u guys think that the canister may just be damaged or is there any other reason why the light came on,,maybe a fuel line or something?? [Confused]
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Give us the code #'s that you got...

Does this nitrous kit have activation switched wired to the TPS sensor?...I'm thinkin that's your problem... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Give us the code #'s that you got...

Does this nitrous kit have activation switched wired to the TPS sensor?...I'm thinkin that's your problem... [patriot]

Saw that shit all the time. Shops not knowing what they are doing and they wire the Nos switch to the TPS sensor and it throws a code. If your getting an emissions code than it might be something else. Maybe they forgot to hook a connector back up or are stealing power off the EGR senser signal. Tell us the code #'s and also how the nitrous is triggered on at WOT, either electronically or manually with a throttle switch.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Hungry Hippo
¯
Member # 537

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hungry Hippo  Ford pictures for Hungry Hippo    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
ask the shop

--------------------
05 S4 Avant(wagon)
09 C6 H/C/I

Hater
¯
Member # 3085

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hater  Ford pictures for Hater    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, Im probably going to get those codes until monday because the mechanic is going on vacations tomorrow,,so,,anyway I asked him,,he told me that the activation switch its only going to work when Im at WOT, he didnt install the window switches,,when he gave me the car back,,he explained to me that he wanted me to try the car like that first,,he said something about that when I hit the nitrous at 3000rpms and then shift to second if I shifted at 6000,,my rpms might go lower than 3000,,then that would cause the nitrous to go off and then at 3000rpms to go on again,,so that would confuse me while driving......

Anyways,,the canister code is for sure there, and the nitrous is activated and WOT when the switch is on. Hope this can help u help me,,LOL [Big Grin]

Hater
¯
Member # 3085

In case the activation switch is in fact wired to the TPS, how should it be connected to avoid the light?
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Best method IMO is a push button switch on the shifter handle. My second choice is a switch located on the throttle linkage which only completes the circuit when the throtte is wide open.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Hater:
then that would cause the nitrous to go off and then at 3000rpms to go on again,,so that would confuse me while driving......

[Roll Eyes]

You may want to ask this guy a few more questions before you o any further. I'm not sure I trust his words all that much with that comment being made.

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my suggestion would be to not take your car to this guy because he obviously cut corners in your install [Eek!]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com