Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Highbeams only???

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Highbeams only???
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I have an 88lx convertible I bought, and the highbeams only work, the lowbeams do not. I changed the blinker switch and headlight switch but it didnt help. any ideas on this?

thanks

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

Posts: 1613 | From: Sonoma County | Registered: Aug 2003  |  :
BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Check the bulbs?...It is possible that both L&R low beams could be out on the bulbs... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
stangsta
¯
Member # 4054

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for stangsta  Ford pictures for stangsta    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
chek the harness..it might of had previous high wattage from some.lets say apc bulbs??
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Black94 5.0:
Check the bulbs?...It is possible that both L&R low beams could be out on the bulbs... [patriot]

Yes it's likely you blew the filament for the low beams but not the high beams. If they are good check for power at the harness side.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
hidnn.o.s.
¯
Member # 1219

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for hidnn.o.s.  Ford pictures for hidnn.o.s.        Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Bulbs were replaced right away to see if it was that easy. Wasn't it.

--------------------
R.I.P. Willie G. You are missed on this forum

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Could be a bad headlight switch inside the car, or an issue with the wiring from the swtich to the bulb. Also make sure you replaced the bulbs with the right ones though I am sure you did not. Also check your fuses that might be it

--------------------

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I would look more towards the switch, I believe that the power comes thru the the same wire for both the high and low operation.

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
JohnB
Tech Moderator
Member # 969

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for JohnB  Ford pictures for JohnB    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
You have a bad turn signal switch. Power goes through this switch for the headlights. If the switch is bad, there is a internal fail-safe that allows for operation of the headlights in 'high-beam only'. Make sure that the connector is fully engaged on the switch first; if it doesn't fix it, change the switch.

--------------------
1965 Shelby Cobra
1993 Cobra
2012 F150 Raptor
2020 GT500

Posts: 6523 | From: Orlando FL/Redding CA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for silverLX  Ford pictures for silverLX    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
I changed the blinker switch and headlight switch but it didnt help, and the parts came out of cars that didnt have this problem. The bulbs are new. I wasnt getting email notifications, thats why I didnt answer. Thanks for the replys, hat should i look for in the harness, and any particular wires? thanks

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

94gt
¯
Member # 3060

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 94gt  Ford pictures for 94gt  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
how did the contacts on the switch look whe you put it in?

--------------------
2020 Explorer ST
2011 Silver Raptor 'Screw

Posts: 5777 | From: Beavercreek, OH | Registered: Jul 2003  |  :
silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

looked normal, nothing out of the ordinary. Looks like i need to trace out some wires....

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

you checked all your fuses right?

--------------------

silverLX
¯
Member # 3207

yes I did, but there isnt a fuse that would make this happen anyway....

--------------------
88LX hatch 410w
88LX vert gears, exhaust
95GT H/C/I

vpr_klr
¯
Member # 3353

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for vpr_klr  Ford pictures for vpr_klr    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
sounds like a bad ground, had the same problem in my 91, check the ground wires from the harness using a test light to battery power and see if the test light come on, you may have a open wire that you will not be able to see [patriot]

--------------------
Project crustang has begun
14 mustangs and counting...

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com