Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » front end vibration/pulsing

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: front end vibration/pulsing
xomp
¯
Member # 1785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xomp  Ford pictures for xomp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i have this small pulsing vibration in my front end at about 65-70+. it seems to SLIGHTLY decrease with higher speeds (80-90+) but it's definitely still there. it also does this if i put it into neutral and let the engine rpm drop from 80-90mph. i'm almost positive it isn't wheel balance because it did it for 2 sets of wheels.
Before (with the stock wheels) it had the light vibration, then it became a very crazy shaking under acceleration (which was the bushing in the tailshaft of the 4r70w; i assume it was caused by the vibration).
it's is still around, and i've tried searching other forums, and it seems some people are having a nightmare with vibrations in their cars.

the pulsing seems to have started after i installed these:
magnaflow catted x, magnaflow catback, bullitt brake kit, h&r supersports springs (eibach sportlines were in before, so shocks/camber kit were already installed).
seems like it can only be the springs or the brakes.

anyone have any idea on this?
all i could gather was it could be caused by pinion angle (have no idea what it is; from shorter springs or lcas; didn't have the lcas in yet), wheel bearings, gears (don't have them), driveshaft.
the vibration definitely feels like it's coming from the front/front-right, but i could be mistaken.

this is the main post i was reading up on.
http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=18043&perpage=35&highlight=high%20speed%20vibration&pagenumber=1

thanks in advance for any help on this.

[ April 01, 2004, 09:30 PM: Message edited by: xomp ]

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
If you're that sure it's comming from the front I'd say it's your brake rotors....Believe it or not they need to be balanced too...I've seen people chase wheel vibrations for days, only to find out it was their brake rotors....

The cheap production "wanna be" crossdrilled and slotted rotors are almost always to blame for wheel vibrations....

Hope this helps... [patriot]

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
xomp
¯
Member # 1785

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for xomp  Ford pictures for xomp    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
i FINALLY got around to changing my rotors.. put on brembo blanks. hoping it would be a good try since i DO have ghetto no-name c/d and slotted rotors. they were rusting all over and it might've been the problem.
took it for a test drive and its still vibrating at about 70+.

anyone have any other ideas on this? motor mount? anything?
i have no idea... =[

and im pretty sure its coming from the front-right; very sure its from the front at least.

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That sucks that it wasn't the rotors, but atleast you have better brakes now...hehe..

Vibrations are hard to deal with over the internet...Any suggestions are really just educated guesses...You did give us some good info to work with though...

Do you have the rubber spring isolators on top of the springs?...What caster camber plates are you using?...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
xomp
¯
Member # 1785

yea, all the isolators are in, i'm using steeda c/c plates.. but they were on the car for a while before the vibration started.

yea... those rotors were pretty screwed up. they had been rusting for a while already. havent even had them for a couple months before it started rusting. i read c/d+slotted were kind of useless for regular street driving anyway, so it wouldnt be too much of a waste to swap them.

thanks a lot for taking the time to try to help me.

on another note.. i had the front right wheel balanced again (just MAYBE if it was) and the guy said it was off by 1/2 a degree (dunno wut it means); rebalancing didnt do anything at all for me though =/.

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you feel it on the steering wheel? If you do then checking the strut assembly and lower ball joints for wear. As for balancing, there are many shops that use too old of machines for todays complex vehicles. What type of wheel do you currently have on the vehicle now? I would check the following link to find the nearest dealer of this hunter machine. This is used by Porsche and Jaguar dealers and comes highly recommended for any vehicle requiring sensative suspensions. Hope this helps.

http://128.242.141.111/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm

Side note: If you feel the vibration in the seat, I would check the rear wheel bearings as well.

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :
xomp
¯
Member # 1785

nah its not in the steering wheel. i have afs 18x9+10.5s 03 cobra replicas on it right now...
the thing is, my first stock set of wheels didnt have it, and it started noticing vibrations after i installed those parts i mentioned above.
i still had the same problem after i put the newer set of wheels.
the vibration is like a pulsing, like a wom-wom-wom-wom from the front.
could it be a front wheel bearing?

MR GO FAST
¯
Member # 2088

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR GO FAST  Ford pictures for MR GO FAST    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by xomp:
could it be a front wheel bearing?

I would definitely check that out. Good luck

--------------------
1986 Gt that is faster than FOSTANGS pinto

Posts: 3729 | From: ATWATER/SANJO/RWC | Registered: Nov 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com