Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » WHAT IS THE BEST COMBO (Page 2)

- Email this post to someone!   Page: 1  2   
Author Topic: WHAT IS THE BEST COMBO
graylx
¯
Member # 3919

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for graylx  Ford pictures for graylx    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by Luke87GT:
Forgot to mention slicks in the previous "Grandma 11's" combo

You're funny. [Big Grin]

--------------------
2012 Mustang GT
1989 Mustang LX 5.0 Notch
1995 Impala SS

BlackNGold
CaliforniaFords.com
Member # 655

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for BlackNGold  Ford pictures for BlackNGold    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
[QUOTE]I will not get too technical with you about sway bars, shocks, struts, etc, because I don't remember what those guys had...

You wanted a references...
11's w/ 150 shot with boltons:
-Blk88gt (Ian McNiven)

11's with Strim + bolt-ons:
-Shawn Donkin

You could probably find their emails using the search feature on the corral and contact them. If not I can provide them for you.
There are plenty of other guys that have accomplished 11.9x with stock longblocks w/ factory intake and 150 shots on the corral. If you are interested simply make a post in the drag racing forum with the title "Who has run 11.99 or faster with stock longblock and 150 shot?" I'm sure you'll get some responses.

Another thing I must address... You referred to the low 13's not being average "for most people" with just simple bolt-ons. I agree. BUT average racers usually DON'T run 11's, lol. Take a look at Jim Langley or 91Pony that have both run 11's. Do you think they are average? Those two drivers have seen significant track duty.

This post asked for ideas on how to get into the 11's. I simply stated what I would do to if I had the same goals as the original guy who started this thread.

If the post went something like this:
"I am a really average pathetic driver, and I don't go to the track very much, but I want to run 11's very easily, how do I do it?"
Then I would recommend something very different. If you are interested in this I can put together a combo for you that will allow my grandma to run 11.99 or better on her first attempt at the track. It may cost a little over $5000, but if you want brainless 11's, here it goes...

AFR 165's
Long runner aftermarket intake
off the shelf or custom cam
75mm TB
80mm MAF w/ 42lb injectors
255lph
Vortech S-trim
AOD with 3000 stall
4.10 gear

Get it tuned. Black 94 5.0, have your grandma do a nice burnout, stage it, and floor it on green. Viola! For me, though, I'd rather run 11's with as little as possible along with some practice. That to me increases the fun factor and gives me something to work towards. Then once I asccomplish it and start adding parts, well, then my goals go up...

Regards,
Luke

First of all, I bet you all of those 11 second stock long block combos were with masive weight reduction, slicks, skinnies, ice, no sway bars and a bunch of other BS... [Roll Eyes]

Second, I feel its better to give good advise then just tell some one to go install slicks gears and a 150 shot and expect 11's...

Third, you said it yourself, "You referred to the low 13's not being average "for most people" with just simple bolt-ons. I agree. BUT average racers usually DON'T run 11's"...

Forth, you said references?...Thats plural, I only saw one... [Confused]

11's w/ 150 shot with boltons:
-Blk88gt (Ian McNiven)

The other one was with an S-trim.... [Razz]

I like your Grandma combo...Try reading my first post, it's the third one down in this thread... [Wink]

Good postin' Luke....I think 93gt has more learning to do than either you or I though....It must feel good to have $5000 to blow on a Mustang, my wife would KILL me!...lol

~Rob...

--------------------
-SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT-

Posts: 5132 | From: Bay Area, CA | Registered: Dec 2001  |  :
85GT
¯
Member # 1695

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 85GT  Ford pictures for 85GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
my friend's car ran 11.90s on stock heads 150 shot.

the heads are ported as much as you can port E7s... it has a good nitrous cam. edelbrock intake. no accesories, just waterpump and alternator. stock rear suspention, MT ET streets like 26x10.5 or something. the bottom end is all forged with 8.5:1 compresion. he has a cage and no interior....

AL STOCK
Its All Stock
Cuzzon
Member # 1852

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AL STOCK  Ford pictures for AL STOCK  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Fully Assembled 347 Stroker Engine used = $2000
Used NOVI2000 - $2000
Slicks = $300
Suspension work = 700

Go 10s

--------------------
.:: FANATICS ::.

93 Cobra Teal
93 Cobra V Red
90 SSP
SVT Raptor
Huracan Rosso Mars
E63s W213 Selenite Gray
C7Z M7 Daytona Sunrise

Posts: 6498 | From: San Bruno | Registered: Sep 2002  |  :
PeNiNsula302
¯
Member # 1061

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for PeNiNsula302  Ford pictures for PeNiNsula302    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
3 simplest ways to do it from least expensive to most expensive...
All three combos will thrive off slicks and gears first and foremost. Get a 26x8.5 slick, mount it on a pair of stock 10 holes and get 3.73s, 3.90s (i have these and love em), or 4.10 gear

#1:
150 shot of laughing gas. This would be the cheapest way to go, but the costs do get up there once you start considering things such as a blow off valve, bottle heater, refilling the jug etc.
Personally I would not do this route because I can't get myself to drop $40+ every time I want to refill the bottle

#2:
A very well thought out combination of heads, cam, intake...
If it were me, I would get the following
-AFR 165's (milled to 54 cc or so)
-any aftermarket long runner intake (port the lower to match heads)
-I'd research off the shelf cams or get a custom
-24 lb injectors
-75-80mm MAF
-65-70mm TB

Slap on a Vortech S-trim...

All three of these combos can be done for well under $5000 and with some practice should be capable of an 11.9X @ 112-115 with slicks and gears. In fact I know there are two people on this board that have gotten into the 11's with combo #2 (91Pony and FasterDamnit I believe).

If you really want to have fun, pick two of the combos I outlined for you... IN fact I rode in a heads, cam, intake, vortech car yesterday... Blast
Luke

[patriot]
98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'
Uncle Frank
Member # 895

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'  Ford pictures for 98slowhoe 'FIFTYLX'    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
do whatever heads get an F-cam, RPM intake, and get a Used s-trim. there is nothing like a S-trim. You'll love the sound when you pull up to the stop light. people will look at you like what the hell is wrong with that car it sounds really weird, you can tell the stupid ones "my altenator bearing is going out [Big Grin] " Plus they are the cheapest blowers that actually work that you can find out there. they have been around forever and always work!

--------------------
AKA Franky Freaking 5 liter

Advanced Engine Development
SCT dealer
Dynotuning
Engine building
916*275*8212

88 4runner on 42's

AaronC
¯
Member # 86

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for AaronC  Ford pictures for AaronC    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
11's for 5k-

Buy my car for 5k and put a set of real slicks under it and go click off some 11.9's. [burnout]

--------------------
1991 GT Convertible: Stock 157k mile shortblock, HiTech cam, AFR 165 heads, Edelbrock RPM intake, 1 3/4 headers

12.23 at 112.99
Best MPH 113.97

90GT
¯
Member # 3

Ford Icon 14 posted      Profile for 90GT  Ford pictures for 90GT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Thats whats referred to as bang for your buck.

Page: 1  2   
Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com