Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Will 16' Rims Clear Cobra Brakes

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Will 16' Rims Clear Cobra Brakes
HYPERSVT
¯
Member # 1707

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for HYPERSVT  Ford pictures for HYPERSVT    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
My buddy wants to put a set of 16s on his car while its being painted. Hes concerend that these wont fit because of the 13' brakes. Will these fit? [patriot]

--------------------
Lincoln LS V8
2004 CRF 230

1Sicgt
CAFords OG
Member # 714

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 1Sicgt  Ford pictures for 1Sicgt    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
no. needs 17's for the clearance.

--------------------
14 Focus TS ST3 full Stg3, ready for bigger Turbo
2003 Cobra Track Car

Posts: 8145 | From: Hitting the Apex | Registered: Jan 2002  |  :
badazz
¯
Member # 1773

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for badazz  Ford pictures for badazz    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 1Sicgt:
no. needs 17's for the clearance.

what he said....i would suggest wrapping your rims in tape to prevent over spray
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
there's always spacers....

--------------------
Too many motorcycles...and now a destroyed arm from Motocross...brrraaappp

Posts: 4056 | From: Roseville, Ca (Sacramento) | Registered: Nov 2000  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Spacers? They won't make 13" rotors fit. They'll just push the wheel out not increase the diameter. 12" is the biggest you can get with a 16" wheel and even then some 16" wheels won't fit. Baer makes cut outs you can get to check clearances for their brake packages. Just cover the wheels. It's not a big deal

[ March 23, 2004, 10:28 PM: Message edited by: mtbaughs ]

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for the50ho  Ford pictures for the50ho    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
forgive me, I've been looking a lot into welds lately...15" welds, and spacers to go over my cobra brakes.....guess I wasn't thinking logically....forget my previous post

--------------------

season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:
forgive me, I've been looking a lot into welds lately...15" welds, and spacers to go over my cobra brakes.....guess I wasn't thinking logically....forget my previous post

You will need spacers for your car if you want to run a skinny at the drag strip. The caliper is to thick and the wheel wont seat.
the50ho
THE50HO
Member # 73

quote:
Originally posted by season'd 88:
quote:
Originally posted by the50ho:

You will need spacers for your car if you want to run a skinny at the drag strip. The caliper is to thick and the wheel wont seat.
yeah I know, I had literally JUST woken back up from a nap when I wrote my first post.....

thanks for the clarification though.....

--------------------

cobraracer46
¯
Member # 1142

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for cobraracer46  Ford pictures for cobraracer46    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
The Ronal 16'' ACT wheel that Bondurant used on the Prosearch mustangs cleard the 13'' Cobra brakes and Steeda autosports ran a few 95 Cobra R's on 16 inch wheels, so yes, there are some 16'' inch rims that clear the 13'' Cobra brakes. Bear racing would proboly be able to clue you in on where to get 16'' wheels for big brakes.

--------------------
2001 SVT cobra convertible with a Viper T56, Fikse wheels, Griggs frame kit, roll bar, Vortech, 4:30 gears, brembo GT brakes and more.

Posts: 1172 | From: Woodside California | Registered: Apr 2002  |  :
season'd 88
¯
Member # 169

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for season'd 88  Ford pictures for season'd 88    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by cobraracer46:
The Ronal 16'' ACT wheel that Bondurant used on the Prosearch mustangs cleard the 13'' Cobra brakes and Steeda autosports ran a few 95 Cobra R's on 16 inch wheels, so yes, there are some 16'' inch rims that clear the 13'' Cobra brakes. Bear racing would proboly be able to clue you in on where to get 16'' wheels for big brakes.

From what ive seen its not so much the dia or the rotors as it is the thickness of the calipers and the wheels ability to seat against the hub. I orig wanted to run the factory 16x7 1/2 waffles i think there called, from 94/95 mustang for sort of a sleeper look with my baer brakes(pbr) and they would not seat. Im sure there are some that will work as you said, not as common though.

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com