Northern California Ford racer's Message Board Forum Sell & Buy Ford Parts in Northern California Classifieds Mustang Pictures / Videos of Ford Cars in Northern California

Northern California Ford Owners  

read DMs/my profile login | join CAFords | search | faq |
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Northern California Ford Owners     » Automotive   » Tech Talk   » Question for help

- Email this post to someone!    
Author Topic: Question for help
MR. STALLION
Stallions President
Member # 374

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR. STALLION  Ford pictures for MR. STALLION  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Ok, some of you know I was sold a pair of heads from a member here and have since found that the threads in 1 of the spark plug holes were completely stripped out. I have taken the head(passenger side) to a few shops and have even called around to see if I can have this fixed. Everyone tells me the same thing...that it can be fixed, but since the heads are aluminum the fix would only be temporary. It could hold for a while, but i'd never know if it were to blow out a plug. Now being that this is the 3rd time i've had to take this head off the car in the 2 weeks they've been on, I don't want to have to do it again. No shop will garantee me that it will be fine and it worries me.
I've called Stangparts.com to see if they would sell me a used 99+ head, but I was told they don't sell them out right....only on complete motors(which is strang because on their site they are selling them seperate, just non PI)
I even called Ford and they want $300 for a bare one and $650 for a complete one.
Can anyone tell me or recommend a place where I can just outright buy a complete used 99+ 2V head???

[ March 17, 2004, 07:52 AM: Message edited by: MR. STALLION ]

Posts: 1799 | From: SJ/Campbell, CA USA | Registered: Aug 2001  |  :
wilit
Mustang Messiah
Member # 3367

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for wilit  Ford pictures for wilit  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Just helicoil it. I know a bunch of people running boosted engines with helicoils, and have not had a problem with it. Most of the old guys I talk to say a helicoil is actually stronger than the original.

--------------------
"If a man hasn't found something worth dying for, he isn't fit to live." - Martin Luther King Jr.

Posts: 4793 | From: 37.78514° North 122.40100° West | Registered: Oct 2003  |  :
MR. STALLION
Stallions President
Member # 374

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for MR. STALLION  Ford pictures for MR. STALLION  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
That's what I thought, but every shop tells me that they'll fix it, but they don't garantee it to hold. Especially since the motor will have nitrous sprayed on it. They tell me that it may come loose. Can you tell me specifically who to call or talk to to fix it?
I talked with Gromm racing and they told me they will send it out somewhere and it will take 1 week to fix, but he told me he recommends that I just get another head.

[ March 17, 2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: MR. STALLION ]

MR. STALLION
Stallions President
Member # 374

can someone move this to tech...maybe i'll get more help there.
Thanks [patriot]

[ March 17, 2004, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: MR. STALLION ]

4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you wont get a guarantee from no one... what makes you think you would [Confused]

i know a place that will guarantee it will work, but it will cost you about 1000 dollars [Smile]

it is a fucked up design by ford... tell ford you want them to fix it for you [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
Hmm the right fix might be more than a new bare head would cost. If I were you I'd make the guy you purchased it from buy the $300 bare head from ford and be done with it. You've got to wonder what his response to all this is? I don't know ebay is always good for finding shit but one head is tough to find.

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
mtbaughs
Road Racer
Member # 4052

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for mtbaughs  Ford pictures for mtbaughs    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
What did Bob at gromm say about a heli-coil? Whats he going to have done if you were to have the head shipped out?

--------------------
R.I.P. Charlie Bruno Dec 2001

Posts: 2019 | From: Boise, Idaho | Registered: Jan 2004  |  :
Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
you want to know what my response is sorry for selling a set of heads for dirt cheap $280. I offered to get him a my discount on a new head from ford. and there are kits to repair this problem on this head...not helicoils which will just fuck up the head more.
and for the record everyone has bought something that didn't turn out as it should of....
my $400 heads with only 100 miles on them in perfect condition only needed $500 to get back into usable condition.

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :
4RS FED
¯
Member # 2067

Ford Icon 1 posted      Profile for 4RS FED  Ford pictures for 4RS FED  Author's Homepage     Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
quote:
Originally posted by 5.0#4 87 T-Top GT:

and for the record everyone has bought something that didn't turn out as it should of....

[patriot]

--------------------
i have a twin turbo mustang and you don't!

Copello
¯
Member # 1534

Ford Icon 2 posted      Profile for Copello  Ford pictures for Copello    Send New Direct Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote       Share this CAFords post on FB
http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=4311
someone should have this kit and can do it on your car if you didn't fuck up the head already.

--------------------
91 GT
73 RS Camaro

Posts: 1309 | From: San Mateo | Registered: Jul 2002  |  :

Post New Topic  Post a Ford message board Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer friendly view of this Ford topic
Hop To:

Questions/Requests/Suggestions? email CAFords

Fueled by Ford Mustang Owners
on CaliforniaFords.com